Author Topic: Is this fuse orientation OK .  (Read 6071 times)

tytower

Is this fuse orientation OK .
« on: January 26, 2017, 05:28:49 AM »
Original post was deleted unfairly so here is my question again

OperaHouse

Re: Is this fuse orientation OK .
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 07:59:43 AM »
What is one and two on the bottom?  Panel strings are usually fused separately, otherwise it serves no function.  I can't imagine any situation where you would use a 125A fuse.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 08:49:24 AM »
tytower;
As I MOD I see any posts that were either deleted or quarantined.
WE have no such post(s) of your that is either.
Are you sure it was deleted? Can you point us to that post?
I want to make sure there not some maintenance thing needed.

Curious

Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

tanner0441

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 05:10:49 PM »
Hi

I cant understand why if you have two separate panel sets and battery packs, you have commoned the positive leads and not kept it as two separate units. Also you don't mention the voltage, the size of the panels, the size of the battery packs, and finally what you intend to use it for and will it have any inverters on it.

Most modern electronics if there are common leads it is normally the negative lead.

More information needed.

Brian.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 08:53:58 PM »
Hi
Welcome to the forum.
I hope you can supply some more info, because currently this does not look sensible to me. 
Not only are you using a fuse as as if it's a terminal block, you are showing it in a circuit as if it protects the solar panels.
Solar panels can be short-circuited with no harm.  It is commonly done, and no fuses are needed.

Bear in mind that fuses (any circuit protection for that matter) is sized and located so that it will protect the wires from melting their insulation.
Always size the wires to handle the current in the wires to run the load, and you size the supply to always be adequate for the load.
The size of wires that can handle 125 Amperes continuously is the size of welding cable.
On a more subtle level, I bet the wires from each bank of panels is sized for only 1/2 of the total current (62 Amps) meaning that the wires of either bank could melt before the fuse ever popped.
I think we need to know more about the load, or the battery being charged, to give you advice suitable to your needs.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Johann

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 09:31:54 PM »
Hi
Welcome to the forum.
I hope you can supply some more info, because currently this does not look sensible to me. 
Not only are you using a fuse as as if it's a terminal block, you are showing it in a circuit as if it protects the solar panels.
Solar panels can be short-circuited with no harm.  It is commonly done, and no fuses are needed.

Bear in mind that fuses (any circuit protection for that matter) is sized and located so that it will protect the wires from melting their insulation.
Always size the wires to handle the current in the wires to run the load, and you size the supply to always be adequate for the load.
The size of wires that can handle 125 Amperes continuously is the size of welding cable.
On a more subtle level, I bet the wires from each bank of panels is sized for only 1/2 of the total current (62 Amps) meaning that the wires of either bank could melt before the fuse ever popped.
I think we need to know more about the load, or the battery being charged, to give you advice suitable to your needs.
The OP wants to do a grid-tie connection without the consent of the power company per another forum.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 01:11:16 AM »
Jeepers,
Thanks for the warning, Johann!
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

tytower

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 07:23:29 AM »
This fool has his nose out of joint because I reprimanded him for some silly assumptions on another forum . not content at that he has now made similar incorrect and disparaging remarks here where he hopes he will be protected.

Please disregard the comments . they are false lies and just meant to be spiteful retaliation.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 07:30:33 AM by tytower »

tytower

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 07:29:22 AM »
Now please note . The drawing is for illustration purposes only . The value used was arbitrary .

You have assumed I want to use a 125 Amp fuse in my system which is just outright stupidity.

My question does not relate at all to the size of the fuse .
It relates to it position in the circuit
Can this be done .?
Has anybody tried it in any circuit no matter what devices are connected .
I am interested in the running of two normally separate circuits through a mutual fuse .
I for one can see no reason not to do so and I seek other peoples thought on this .
In boating systems it is quite acceptable to run a number of say 5 amp wire circuits through one say 4 amp fuse . I intend to use this method on my boats solar cells .

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2017, 07:32:01 AM »
@tytower Please at the very least be civil.  If you don't wish to be polite to existing members in good standing then please don't post.

I don't know the truth or otherwise of the various assertions in this thread, but in any case any one reading this please DO NOT endanger yourself or others when interconnecting with the grid.

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

tytower

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 07:35:32 AM »
@tytower Please at the very least be civil.  If you don't wish to be polite to existing members in good standing then please don't post.
I don't know the truth or otherwise of the various assertions in this thread, but in any case any one reading this please DO NOT endanger yourself or others when interconnecting with the grid.
Rgds
Damon

I find it amazing that such mud thrown is picked up by people who should know better and perpetuated . Grow up son

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 08:22:19 AM »
---Begin GM MODE---
Enough!! Damon and all the others have proven themselves. YOU Have not.
---End GM MODE---
Your done
Hopefully you'll act more grown up once your posting ban expires.

A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

tytower

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2017, 06:44:08 PM »
---Begin GM MODE---
Enough!! Damon and all the others have proven themselves. YOU Have not.
---End GM MODE---
Your done
Hopefully you'll act more grown up once your posting ban expires.

Have you read the thread? You've gotta be kidding hav'nt you?

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2017, 04:38:59 PM »
Before you get perma banned your fuse arrangement is NOT workable for several reasons. It isn't up to electrical code that says each string of panels should be fused individually. And it is an invitation to confusion if you have a fire and the fire dept is trying to figure out how to disconnect panels that can kill firefighters if left live.

Fuse each string separately, use a fuse 20% larger than your panel specs, and make sure you have a fire disconnect available and marked. I actually had the fire chief come visit and I showed him how to disconnect the panels at both ends of the wire run at my house. House has a switch in a box where the conduit run from the panels comes out of the ground, and back on the array I told him to just cut the red wire and it will drop all power going to the house in the case of not being able to reach the disconnect for some reason.

tytower

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2017, 05:49:44 PM »
Before you get perma banned your fuse arrangement is NOT workable for several reasons. It isn't up to electrical code that says each string of panels should be fused individually. And it is an invitation to confusion if you have a fire and the fire dept is trying to figure out how to disconnect panels that can kill firefighters if left live.

Fuse each string separately, use a fuse 20% larger than your panel specs, and make sure you have a fire disconnect available and marked. I actually had the fire chief come visit and I showed him how to disconnect the panels at both ends of the wire run at my house. House has a switch in a box where the conduit run from the panels comes out of the ground, and back on the array I told him to just cut the red wire and it will drop all power going to the house in the case of not being able to reach the disconnect for some reason.

"It isn't up to electrical code that says each string of panels should be fused individually. "  Can you refer me to that in the code or in the Act?

I did not find that in the Act . I am in Queensland

Oh and I will be permanently banned now cause I just told them to shove their heads up their arses as they are power hungry fools

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2017, 04:01:57 AM »
You are indeed perma-banned, partly because you called me the c-word in a PM.  It is vile and so are you.

If you'd managed to (a) be civil and (b) not shout down knowledgable people trying to help, you might have gotten somewhere.
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social