Author Topic: Adjusting Inverter's default input voltage range  (Read 1638 times)

fabieville

Adjusting Inverter's default input voltage range
« on: February 03, 2017, 11:38:09 AM »
I have a Nova Electric CGL3K-48-120       48 V Pure Sine Wave Inverter 3000watt.
The default input voltage is set at 42-56v according to the specs sheet and also I tested it and confirm it.

Is it possible for you to send me a diagram or schematic or instructions as to how i can go about adjusting the input voltage range so that it can handle up to 60v input?

I see some of this same model that can handle up to 60v input before the OVP kicks in. A sales rep from Nova told me that you would have to request the adjustment and the manufacturer would set the voltage range from in the factory before shipping out the product. But I already have the product so I can't send it back to the factory.

Please offer me some assistant in this regards.

joestue

Re: Adjusting Inverter's default input voltage range
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 04:08:43 PM »
what is the reason you need the 4 extra volts?

if you want to run a 60volt lead acid system, you have to push the battery volts up to 75 volts to get them to equalize.

It sounds like the unit will need reprogramming, not merely the voltage limit changed. you may be able to find where it senses the battery voltage and adjust some resistors, but that may break something else, such as the battery recharge algorithm.
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

fabieville

Re: Adjusting Inverter's default input voltage range
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 02:57:27 PM »
Reason why I want the higher voltage is base upon this research i saw online.

"The correct setting of the charge voltage limit is critical and ranges from 2.30V to 2.45V per cell. Setting the voltage threshold is a compromise and battery experts refer to this as “dancing on the head of a needle.” On one hand, the battery wants to be fully charged to get maximum capacity and avoid sulfation on the negative plate; on the other hand, over-saturation by not switching to float charge causes grid corrosion on the positive plate. This also leads to gassing and water-loss"

Seeing that the voltage limit on my 48v inverter being 57.1v i can only set my charge controller to 57.1V or a lower max charge voltage which works out to be 2.30V to 2.37V/cell voltage max which according to the research online 2.30v to 2.37v per cell for a max charge voltage on flooded led acid battery would come with these disadvantages/limitations:

Slow charge time; capacity readings may be inconsistent and declining with each cycle. Sulfation may occur without equalizing charge.

With these limitations that is why I would need to be able to can charge the 48v battery bank to 58.8v to avoid the limitations stated above and at the same time the inverter still connected and turn on and not going into OVP.

If adjusting my input voltage max for my inverter is not possible. If I charge the battery bank to 57.1v on a daily basis but every once per week or once per 2 week or once per month i disconnect or turn off the inverter and give the battery a equalize charge up to 60v or a higher voltage charge of 58.8v until it is fully charge before connecting back the inverter would this reverse or prevent the limitations stated above?

If it would what full charge routine at 58.8v or equalize cycle at 60V or higher would be best to use, once per week? once per 2 week or once per month?