Author Topic: 24v-48v boost converter to power a 48v inverter  (Read 2628 times)

fabieville

24v-48v boost converter to power a 48v inverter
« on: February 14, 2017, 08:19:42 PM »
I am planning to buy a 24v to 48v  step up converter boost supply rated at 40ah 1920watt to power my 48v 3000watt pure sinewave inverter.

I have a 24v 150ah battery bank and I want to connect the circuit to it which would allow a input voltage of 18-32v and produce 48v at the output which would then connect to the 48v inverter to power it.

I want to know what are the pros and cons with this step up.

Here is a link with the boost converter stating the specs:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/272475782502?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=571509898330&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I can't find any reviews on the converter so I am not sure if it will handle the full wattage has it stated and how it operates under heavy load. But assuming it works good there are some questions i would love to get answers for.

Using it with my battery bank rated at 24v 150ah during operation in theory I would only get a total of half of my battery bank(75ah) to use due to the fact that it is doubling the 24v input to 48v? Or what is the estimated total useable amps out of the battery bank i would be able to use?

Also would this be far more efficient comparing to if i was using a battery bank rated at 48v 75ah to power the inverter?

What is the estimated efficiency lost I would accumulated going through this process? and would it be the same even if i was powering the inverter with a 48v battery bank instead of the boost converter?

Do you think I could double 2 of these units to get a total output of 80ah and would this decrease or increase efficiency?

george65

Re: 24v-48v boost converter to power a 48v inverter
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 12:12:27 AM »

Running your 3Kw  48V inverter flat out is going to demolish that battery bank very quick. Figure 30-45 min run time.

If the 48V inverter is happy with the output, Yes, running 2 of those inverters would probably be better than running 1 flat out if you need the power as there will be lesser heat buildup for a start.  Efficiency shouldn't vary as they will both have the same inefficiency for the current they handle. They state the conversion efficiency at 96% which sounds over optimistically high to me. From what I have seen, the general range is 80-90% in practical use.

Yes, running a 48V battery bank would be more efficient because you are only converting the power once not twice. You would also probably save a percent or 2 in wiring etc as well as the cost of that and switches etc.

You could put the price of these inverters towards extra batteries for your present setup and be a lot better off.

Warpspeed

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 06:48:45 PM »
Have to agree with George.

Spend the money to buy more batteries, and upgrade your storage to 48v 150Ah.
Anything else is a giant step backwards.

richhagen

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 07:08:19 PM »
Can't help but think that you would end up with a more efficient and reliable system if you switch it to 48V all around as opposed to using a giant boost converter of unknown reliability and efficiency to boost your battery voltage to an input voltage that your 48V inverter can handle.    You are introducing an additional inefficiency in the boost converter, and another link in a chain which reduces the reliability of your system.  Save the money on the boost converter and put it towards more batteries and a charge controller for 48V if your existing one is not adjustable for that.  The initial costs may be a bit more, but I would think you would end up in a better place in the end.  Rich
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

kitestrings

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 02:24:43 PM »
Ditto.  I think I'd avoid it if at all possible.  It might also create a slight bottleneck for times when your inverter is  grunting to start a small motor load, for example if the converter doesn't have a similar surge capability.  And, the losses as mentioned early will add up.

~ks