Remote Living > Housing

Selling a home equipped with RE

<< < (2/4) > >>

camillitech:
Probably different in Canada and the US but I sold my 'off grid' home of 27 years by making a point of it being 'off grid' and touting it about on various forums and places like this http://www.greenshifters.co.uk/. Here at least there is a dedicated minority of folks that want to 'get away from it all'. As has been mentioned the regular estate agents eyes 'glazed over' when I mentioned it being 'off grid'. Sure it didn't sell very quickly, took almost two years but then it wasn't long after the 'crash' and nothing was selling. However we got exactly the amount we were looking for which was more than enough to build a new house next door (200M) that is totally powered and heated by RE, solar thermal, solar PV, hydro and wind.
OK, I'm still 'on call' if anything breaks but it's been two years now and I'll I've had to do is service the wind turbine and replace a generator start module. All done at the 'going rate' so I've now got great neighbours and a small income.

The thing is Sparweb, if you're confident with your work and judging by your web page you should be, then you shouldn't be afraid of offering a good 'after sales service' so to speak ;D

Obviously if you're moving a long way away that may not be practical but it worked for me, but then I look after a couple of 'off grid' properties nearby anyway and enjoy doing it.

As to what impresses folk etc, well I provided lots of pictures and gave my generator a nice friendly name

That'll be Cyril the Lister SR2

Good luck, Paul

kitestrings:
"Cyril the Lister SR2"  I like it!  But,

I'd be seriously concerned about the 1) the battery terminations on what appears to be plywood backing, and 2) the lack of venting for the battery bank (I assume form the that they are lead-acid, this may be incorrect).

Spar, we went thru a reappraisal a few years ago.  The off-grid thing was looking to be problematic, but then not.  First, I found an article in Home Power that suggested it wasn't all bad.  I'd have to look for it, but in short they suggested researching comparative property transfers, and presenting comparatives, including energy costs.  The simple thing though was that we just went and got an estimate to bring grid power in.  In our case we're "off" by choice, and the numbers - if one were to go that route - were not all that scary.

Good luck,  ~ks

SparWeb:
Got a better reaction from a different estate agent this time.  He considered it a point of discussion, possible niche interest, and simply another item that the new owners can consider if they want it or not.  Well that was a lot more relaxing.

Unfortunately, this agent has suggested a selling price well below what we think the property is worth.  Don't know where he came up with the number because the "research" he brought with him to back up his suggestion would lead me to a 100k higher target price!  Turns out he hasn't sold an acreage in the area himself for many years, though he has some listed.  Maybe this isn't the kind of guy who gets the deals closed.

The fun part is developing the business plan so that my wife can run a horse boarding barn / rehabilitation facility.  Not possible on the tiny parcel of land we have, but finding an ideal place to buy will take some hunting.  Probably going to be in debt again for a while.  We can work out some costs off the tops of our heads (since we've lived in the country for many years now and know many commercial stable owners too) but it looks like wherever we go, we'll need to build a new barn from scratch, and fill it with a lot of expensive stuff. 

vassile52:
Hi Steve!

Still available,pse?

Happy Canada Day!

Vasile

XeonPony:
well possibly there is 15acres here for apx 10grand, now house on property or grid power.

It is located in Sk though

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version