Author Topic: Selling a home equipped with RE  (Read 7423 times)

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Selling a home equipped with RE
« on: February 24, 2017, 10:26:09 PM »
Are there any members who want to share their experience selling and moving out of a house equipped with RE?

What pleases the new buyers, what makes their heads explode?
What equipment to keep, what to leave behind?
What helps the value of the home, what hurts it?

You can guess that I'm thinking about moving, but before I go into the specifics of my situation (which you can see at www.sparweb.ca anyway) I'd like to know more about the experiences of others... horror stories... win-win scenarios...?

My default plan is to take it all with me - and figure out what to do with it when I get to the new place.
Lots of work, taking my whole system apart (it took years to assemble!)
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

clockmanFRA

• Renewable Energy creation
Re: Selling a home equipped with RE
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 02:21:47 AM »
This will be interesting.

For some time now I have been pondering the fate of my works when I am gone, either moving or plain old dead with a heart condition. (they tell me).

I have endeavoured to write/construct basic manuals for my 3 boys, 10, 13 & 17 year olds. They show interest and support... but...

Also concerns about Electrical regs, and would a so called qualified sparky, brought in by the new owner, condem stuff if he thinks its not up to the latest memorised Country specs, or he just doesn't plain understand.

In that instance I have religiously stuck to the French Norms, and kept stuff very simple with notices adhered to things in the correct place.

I think SparWeb, its talking to your potential buyer, and seeing what they want, here in Europe even the standard PV panels GTI installations are a awkward situation, and what I gather have no extra cost benefit to the seller.

The lawyers will probably make a bit more on your House Sale.?

Good luck, and I will watch this with interest.
Everything is possible, just give me time.

OzInverter man. Normandy France.
http://www.bryanhorology.com/renewable-energy-creation.php

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

Harold in CR

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 10:44:29 AM »

If your house is off grid, you could advertise it in RE related forums, etc. If it will require a mortgage on the new owners part, you are probably screwed, as clockmanFRA stated.

Is it prohibited to have a house that is not grid tied, in your country ?  IF so, I agree completely with clockmanFRA. I would disassemble everything and move it or sell it.

Wish you all the best in this non-standard endeavour.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 12:15:03 PM »
Agreed, some caution is warranted.

I spoke to a real estate agent the other day.  I could see his eyes glaze over as I tried to explain it...
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

OperaHouse

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 12:48:55 PM »
Still better owning the system than having a solar lease.

camillitech

• Life at the end of the road
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 02:39:19 PM »
Probably different in Canada and the US but I sold my 'off grid' home of 27 years by making a point of it being 'off grid' and touting it about on various forums and places like this http://www.greenshifters.co.uk/. Here at least there is a dedicated minority of folks that want to 'get away from it all'. As has been mentioned the regular estate agents eyes 'glazed over' when I mentioned it being 'off grid'. Sure it didn't sell very quickly, took almost two years but then it wasn't long after the 'crash' and nothing was selling. However we got exactly the amount we were looking for which was more than enough to build a new house next door (200M) that is totally powered and heated by RE, solar thermal, solar PV, hydro and wind.
OK, I'm still 'on call' if anything breaks but it's been two years now and I'll I've had to do is service the wind turbine and replace a generator start module. All done at the 'going rate' so I've now got great neighbours and a small income.

The thing is Sparweb, if you're confident with your work and judging by your web page you should be, then you shouldn't be afraid of offering a good 'after sales service' so to speak ;D

Obviously if you're moving a long way away that may not be practical but it worked for me, but then I look after a couple of 'off grid' properties nearby anyway and enjoy doing it.

As to what impresses folk etc, well I provided lots of pictures and gave my generator a nice friendly name

That'll be Cyril the Lister SR2

Good luck, Paul

« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 02:52:33 PM by camillitech »

kitestrings

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 05:39:38 PM »
"Cyril the Lister SR2"  I like it!  But,

I'd be seriously concerned about the 1) the battery terminations on what appears to be plywood backing, and 2) the lack of venting for the battery bank (I assume form the that they are lead-acid, this may be incorrect).

Spar, we went thru a reappraisal a few years ago.  The off-grid thing was looking to be problematic, but then not.  First, I found an article in Home Power that suggested it wasn't all bad.  I'd have to look for it, but in short they suggested researching comparative property transfers, and presenting comparatives, including energy costs.  The simple thing though was that we just went and got an estimate to bring grid power in.  In our case we're "off" by choice, and the numbers - if one were to go that route - were not all that scary.

Good luck,  ~ks

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 11:42:27 PM »
Got a better reaction from a different estate agent this time.  He considered it a point of discussion, possible niche interest, and simply another item that the new owners can consider if they want it or not.  Well that was a lot more relaxing.

Unfortunately, this agent has suggested a selling price well below what we think the property is worth.  Don't know where he came up with the number because the "research" he brought with him to back up his suggestion would lead me to a 100k higher target price!  Turns out he hasn't sold an acreage in the area himself for many years, though he has some listed.  Maybe this isn't the kind of guy who gets the deals closed.

The fun part is developing the business plan so that my wife can run a horse boarding barn / rehabilitation facility.  Not possible on the tiny parcel of land we have, but finding an ideal place to buy will take some hunting.  Probably going to be in debt again for a while.  We can work out some costs off the tops of our heads (since we've lived in the country for many years now and know many commercial stable owners too) but it looks like wherever we go, we'll need to build a new barn from scratch, and fill it with a lot of expensive stuff. 
www.sparweb.ca

vassile52

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 03:31:36 PM »
Hi Steve!

Still available,pse?

Happy Canada Day!

Vasile

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 06:21:20 PM »
well possibly there is 15acres here for apx 10grand, now house on property or grid power.

It is located in Sk though
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2017, 06:31:30 PM »
I guess this thread deserves an update, so that it doesn't collect any false impressions.
We gave up on the idea of moving, for several reasons:
1) nothing interesting was available, and
2) the horse business plan would not turn out a satisfactory bottom line.

We made two agents "work for it" by getting them to agree to find and show us places for sale before we would list our own.  We never got to the listing phase for our own home because nothing in the area came close to as nice as the place we have now.

Which is good!  In a way it confirmed that we're happy where we are and have no reason to leave.  This week we've been surrounded by beautiful golden autumn leaves.

www.sparweb.ca

george65

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2017, 01:05:41 AM »

I have done pretty much the opposite to you.
Moved out of the suburbs from a $#|+ area to what turns out to be virtual paradise. Other place was huge from a suburban POV, this one is 4 times bigger.
I liked what I had at the other place a lot, it was pretty ideal but the area just went downhill at a million mile an hour from an upmarket suburb to a place where the  jobless welfare sponging whom didn't want to work or assimilate made their enclave.  Place was in the family 75 years so was hard to let go although I have been surprised how little I have missed it.

New place is very luxurious and 3 times the size but Lots of work on upkeep. Maybe not the ideal house but the area is great. Once we have the place as we want, it I'm sure things will be different.

Only had a play self sufficient power set up at the old digs with panels, Now I have been testing a 1.6 Kw setup and a 5.7 and they are working great.
Ready to set it up properly on the roof now and happy with the layout and know what to expect.  Today I have made over 16 KW at mid afternoon and hoping to crack 20 for the day. Still have some minor issues with the test setup tht will be cured when I go permanent so 20Kw on a clear day should be very easy.

I had the brother in law over last night to discuss the relaunch of my business.  Haven't worked properly for about 5 years now first due to illness then family issues. We came to the area and bought the house with getting things going again in mind.  I'll be doing a trade show in 2 weeks which should be an indicator of how well I have picked my mark.  Everything says I will do well here, I just have personal fears and doubts but hypocritically, cannot come up with a sound reason why it should not work perfectly. 

It's good to hear you did a business plan. So many people are ignorant to that and when you suggest one, they dismiss it as not being needed or only or big businesses or whatever.  I say the smaller the enterprise the less room you have to make a mistake so the more important it is. Unfortunately people also allow themselves to be terribly fooled by wishful thinking and base everything on the best ( or fantasy) scenario not the worst case. When thec counted on utopia does not eventuate, they get in trouble, loose everything and then blame the Gubbermint, the economy or anything but their own ignorance.

I have a pretty simple Stop/ go formula with any new business I look at. If it does not look profitable based on the worst case scenario x2, then I walk away. Ironically most people tend to base things on the best possible scenario times 2 and then get into a lot of trouble and loose a lot of money if not everything.
I have not done a business plan for this, Done it before so long and the only variation is not something I can even guess let alone calculate.
the risk will be about 1000, maybe 1200 bucks so pretty much chicken feed and less than the returns on one job. If I can't pull one rabbit out this hat I'm REALLY in trouble beyond the business.

You have done well to conclude the best place for you is where you are.  Saved yourself so much stress and effort moving and a heap of money as well.  Cost me near $100K here just in fees, takes and professional services involved in the process.
That said, the way the prices in this area are going up I'll be in front with the property value this time next year.

Enjoy yourself where you are knowing you are already in the best place you can be.  :0)

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2017, 04:11:31 AM »
Not so opposite, it sounds to me. 
Both my wife and I picked up some business sense along the way, and we have seen what fooling ourselves looks like, especially when visiting other horse boarding operations that have obviously gone downhill.
We didn't rush the business plan either, and talked to a number of folks, even a bank, to be sure we had a realistic picture. 

BTW, the secret sauce for a successful horse boarding ranch is there is a minimum threshold size.  Roughly 40-50 head are needed to be profitable:
Start with a small fortune (2 million CAD), buy lots of land, build a facility bigger than the threshold size needed to be sustainable, and factor in two employees because that's the size it needs to be to reach that threshold.  Anything smaller and you're working your a** off 7 days a week for peanuts!

Wait a moment...
If you have a small fortune like that, why the he11 would you blow it on a horse barn, when you can invest it in stocks and get 10% growth while you watch TV instead!?   :o
So those of use who don't have a few megabucks just lying around should find something better to do with our lives than go into horses. 
www.sparweb.ca

armadillo

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2017, 02:55:49 PM »
I sold an off grid home a year ago. To be perfectly honest, solar power scares away a lot of people and it took 5 years to sell the place.  The home was on 200 mountainous acres, best suited for hunters, survivalists and hermits. It probably would have been hard to sell even if it was tied to the grid, but most prospective buyers were pretty ignorant of solar. Things seem to be changing slowly.
The buyer asked me hundreds of questions before and after the sale and even had the head electrician from the local solar supply company come out and look at it and explain the electronics.  Although the buyer doesn't have much knowledge of electricity, he's finally beginning to understand it's no big deal.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2017, 12:11:30 AM »
Thanks for sharing your experience, Armadillo.
Even if it won't be soon, a day will come when this place needs to be sold.
I will really appreciate knowing what worked and what didn't.
www.sparweb.ca

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2017, 09:42:39 AM »
Just a tip target the prepper market as these off grid set ups will be a wet dream for most serious ones, Hope fully there is a good population of them in the area! There are in Alberta and a few in Sask.
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!