Author Topic: Guidance for a real newbie  (Read 4718 times)

Wilbart

Guidance for a real newbie
« on: December 11, 2015, 10:55:15 AM »
Hello everyone,
I am completely new to all ok this “otherpower” topics.  I have very limited knowledge on how all this works.  I am looking for a little direction on what I can read to get started.  I have done some reading on the web on different web sites and on some book topics but as I look into them I never get a real good feel on where to start. 
I am looking to get a working understanding on how Wind and maybe Solar power works.
Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

David HK

Re: Guidance for a real newbie
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 04:56:33 PM »
I started like you - interest and questions.

What you need to do first is look at yourself so to speak. You mention wind and solar. Do you live somewhere that has sustained wind most of the year? If you live in a poor wind area take less interest in wind but don't abandon it. To answer this you should be able to study this aspect via the Internet and the US of A weather services.

How skilled are you in metalwork, woodwork and electronics? Are you capable of teaching yourself these subjects via the Internet and special interest books?

Do you live in the middle of an apartment block, or somewhere at ground level that would enable you to erect a wind turbine or photo voltaic array?

Special interest web sites to visit, here are two that are well known to members of this website:-

http://www.thebackshed.com/Windmill/Contents.asp#2

http://scoraigwind.co.uk/

How much power do you want to produce, or, are you just wanting to build a small contraption to satisfy curiosity?

Please provide readers with your expanded thoughts and some answers to the above.  I suspect  Forumites can provide further guidance if you provide more detail.

Dave

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 12:26:02 AM »
This site is good:
http://www.windpower.org/en

More fun projects:
www.builditsolar.com/index.htm

Reading material:
www.homepower.com

No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Wilbart

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 11:15:14 AM »
Thanks for the replies,

I live in MA and I will check out the weather service for the wind info.

I have very little metal work experience, I am alright with woodworking (I can not  build anything fancy but basic structures I can manage).  I am good with electronics, I have a PC\Networking\Telco background so this part should not be an issue.  Yes, I am a good self study. 

I live in a house but in a dense neighborhood, I do have access to first floor and a good amount of yard space.

I am more looking to satisfy curiosity and build some knowledge on the subject.  If I can get proficient enough at this it would be cool to be able to run my outside light using Wind or solar. 

I will look at the links posted tonight.

Thanks again for the help. 

OperaHouse

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 03:53:41 PM »
Do you own the house?  If not that limits a lot that you can do.  One of the most useful things that can be done with small solar is heat water if you have electric heating.  That will allow you to use 100% of the potential generated.  Any other use is pretty inefficient and throwing money at a dream.  Wind in a dense neighborhood is pretty much a lawn ornament.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 01:09:06 AM »
Hang on.
Curiosity is a great reason to do a lot of things.  I wouldn't be here without it...
Once another hurricane Sandy comes up the eastern seaboard, you'll be looking for a way to run inside lights off your RE supply.
Assuming you want to have a couple of batteries charged by RE, I suggest you start with solar and find opportunities to experiment with wind later.
My first wind turbines were lawn ornaments, and that's OK.  I was just curious. 
Once I found out how much fun it was, I started making practical WT's and now there's no hope for me.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Johann

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 12:53:46 AM »
I gotten into solar because of necessity.
I live in an area when you sneeze you will loose the grid power for 4 hours minimum to 12 hours max and that happens many times a year.
We started out using an inverter that we hooked up to the car when the grid power went out, but this was very inconvenient since we lost power at any time of the day.
We did not like the noise of an generator, so we went for solar.

For most folks wind power is limited because of location of their homes and towers and wind turbines can be restricted by city laws.
In my area if I am giving a choice to get a wind turbine or solar panels, I would defiantly go for solar since solar would give me more usable power than wind could.

I got most my information from websites and forums and also from personal experiences.

So don't be shy to ask questions if you have any.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 10:24:45 PM »
Hi Johann,
Thanks for sharing your story!
The grid here is not as bad as yours, but every few years I can count of several days with the power out.  Usually in the winter, though lately it happened in August.
www.sparweb.ca

amyreid4

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 04:37:10 AM »
Thanks for sharing great resources.
The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge.