Author Topic: Sunkco 788H battery welder/ US 110v version  (Read 4293 times)

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Sunkco 788H battery welder/ US 110v version
« on: May 12, 2017, 05:20:31 PM »
I just bought a second one after many years. The first I gave to a relative. The newer version is fully functional. The conversion from 220v single phase to 110v single phase was done correctly, so the battery charge section works and it welds on the first hit and doesn't leak current and trip ground fault protected circuits.

I can't communicate in Chinese, but it's nice to know that someone told them about the previous issues and they fixed them.

I paid $140 including shipping this time. Well worth having for repairing and making battery packs and fixing cell phones.

george65

Re: Sunkco 788H battery welder/ US 110v version
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 04:25:11 AM »

Till I looked it up, I thought you meant a battery powered, as in cordless welder!

I thought Struth! That must have a pack of Lipo's and a half but surely must be extremely limited in what it can do.
Then out of Curiosity I looked it up and found that they do now in fact have battery powered welders and they seem to be practical enough to make them worth while in the application for which they were designed.

Amazing!

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Re: Sunkco 788H battery welder/ US 110v version
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 01:15:20 PM »
I had a college friend back in the 1980's that ran a business from his dorm room (until they caught him doing it) that repaired battery packs by taking them apart, testing and replacing the bad ones. He had to solder cells the hard way as these spot welders didn't exist outside of factories then.

No solder = no need to check for lead or other banned substances in the solder. But there are lipos that had internal protection at the anode that cannot be spot welded, that end must still be soldered the old way.

george65 Many US golf carts use 36v battery setups so this portable battery welder only needs an Anderson connector added to it and the golf cart and you can use your cart to do portable welding.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/trucks/how-to/a20518/weld-from-anywhere-with-this-diy-battery-powered-kit/