Author Topic: Antique Solar Panel  (Read 6222 times)

adobejoe

Antique Solar Panel
« on: June 06, 2017, 01:37:41 PM »
Recently acquired this. Measures 19 v, 0.8 amp in direct sun. About 15 watt. Has number "005788" in pencil on back. Anyone know vintage and make...Solarex...BP solar?

Harold in CR

Re: Antique Solar Panel
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 02:14:23 PM »

Possibly ARCO panel ? Solarex had the "flaky" looking silicone cells, at least the ones we used to sell in the 80's.

richhagen

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 02:53:02 AM »
That certainly has a look similar to old Arco panels.  I have some from the 80's, they are 33 cell panels with a staggered arrangement and stud terminals on the back.  The back plate on those is steel covered with white plastic. 
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

adobejoe

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 09:56:53 AM »
Thanks. They have a yellow backing and there are the two studs. Pretty neat that it puts out after so long. I am guessing the mid '70's

richhagen

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 04:01:38 AM »
not sure, mine have an Arco sticker on the back, most still work, maybe not the same power output as new, but rather amazing that you can still get useful power after all of these years.  Rich
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 06:20:41 PM »
I gave a 1970's Arco to a friend to float charge his ham station backup battery. It was still producing 85% of nameplate rating. It came from a stream water level monitor that had been upgraded and needed more power.

george65

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 11:11:32 PM »

New panels have 20 year gaurantees on average for output.
I wonder if the technology and quality of manufacturing will allow them to hold up to their output as well as the older panels seem to have?

OTOH, I wonder if it matters? In 20 years a panel may be producing 10-50X what they are now for a given size so no one will care about the old ones and they may be worth more in scrap value than as a working panel.

adobejoe

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 10:28:40 PM »
The issue I have with new panels is the alleged "warranty " behind them. I am a solar/wind dealer and installer. The companies that tout their products claim the 20-30 year power out put, and their history and longevity in the business. However, they invariably are out of business or chapter 11 more often then not in a short time frame. Yes, even the "publicly traded" companies. For my business, selling and the being the main point of contact with the end user, I will be the first phone call .... you get the picture. It is dissapointing the state of the industry. AdobeJoe....PS, don't ask me about the Wyoming state electrical inspection and small REA paranoid issue on safety and reliability, that really gets me going.

littleharbor2

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 10:34:59 AM »
Looks like Arco vintage. I believe Solarex did make some round cell monocrystalline modules as well. I have a really cool module from the 70's made up with cells intended for satellite service. They are about 2 1/2" round cells with very cool radial traces on the cell surface. Trying to attach but unable to because the pics are over the 512 kb limit. That's awfully small. If I can figure how to insert the pics I will.
2100 watt Suntech array, Midnight classic200, NEW (commissioned 2015) Trace SW 4024, 700 Ah @ 24 volt AGM bank, Bogart Trimetric and tons of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 11:45:54 AM »
Trying to attach but unable to because the pics are over the 512 kb limit. That's awfully small. If I can figure how to insert the pics I will.
We keep the limit small so those who are still on dial-up or Sat connections don't have to wait 3 days for them to load.
Windows above XP and ALL Linux distros I've ever used have the ability to lower the size, some even have a WEB setting in their editor selections.

Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 05:11:15 PM »
Also try online tools such as tinypng.com.

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

littleharbor2

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2017, 03:16:47 PM »
Here's a resized image. Hope you can see it.
2100 watt Suntech array, Midnight classic200, NEW (commissioned 2015) Trace SW 4024, 700 Ah @ 24 volt AGM bank, Bogart Trimetric and tons of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

littleharbor2

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2017, 03:25:07 PM »
Here's a close up of a cell on that panel.