Logged in users > User Diaries

Smart Drive Oil Barrel Undershot Waterwheel

<< < (13/13)

bmannz:
Thanks again for the good suggestions,

Matt, I had thought of putting two smart drives on the system at lower ratios and kicking in the second one electrically when the RPM gets up using the Hall effect sensor to trigger.  I haven't heard about the scooter motor, do you think they will have less cogging force than the F&P? is that scooter as in electric bike motors?

George, I read some calcs on pump storage early on and the storage area required to do anything approaching useful is going to make the upstream neighbour a bit pissy & we don't want that!

Planning on surveying the whole drain in the next few weeks so will know then exactly what fall I have and where, one funny thing is the place i surveyed with Emma using the garden hose method showed great fall (at least for my site) of 1.3m but the bottom of the creek was 1m under water so left me with only 300mm fall!

In retrospect, I'd probably have been better there with a breastshot and 300mm than an undershot where I am at the moment - oh well, live and learn and that's all part of the fun!

Thanks again guys, much appreciated!

MattM:
I have taken apart a few scooters and the motors are usually between  750W to 1000W at 24V.  Not a ton of amperage, but they reach 16V without a ton of resistance or clogging.  The other easy to find motors are the 24V and 48V treadmill motors.  Even less amperage, but might be the voltage you want.

bmannz:
Thanks Matt, I'm 48v so will put the word out for treadmill motors & check them out

XeonPony:
your under shot design and mechanics is good it is the geometry of water flow over it is the problem, take a quarter arc of the wheel and cast a cement or even wood slew in that shape then rest the wheel so that just one quarter on the bottom side is mated to it.

then if possible pitch the buckets  back a bit so as it nears the bottom it dumps its full load, this will maximize the over all efficiency of it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_wheel#/media/File:Breastshot_waterwheel_simple.svg

https://kingstonrenewableenergy.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/undershot-algebraic-dimensions.gif

Breast shot is the proper name seems like you thought of that as well, given the resource at hand be my best suggestion that or a bankie as it is a double acting unit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version