Author Topic: 500+MW windfarm largest offshore windfarm in world.  (Read 2872 times)

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
500+MW windfarm largest offshore windfarm in world.
« on: May 15, 2008, 02:00:33 PM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/suffolk/7402204.stm

http://investor.fluor.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=124955&p=newsarticle&id=1145283

All signed today, it seems.

Now, should I add another 1-Watt turbine to my wind farm?  B^>

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 02:00:33 PM by (unknown) »
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Capt Slog

Re: largest offshore windfarm in world.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 05:16:38 AM »
Quote from the BBC....

Power from the 140 turbines would help cut carbon dioxide emissions by 1.5m tonnes a year - equivalent to taking 350,000 cars off the road.

They're always banging on about that angle, CO2 emmisions and what it's equivalent to.  

I wish for once they'd say. "about the same cost as nuclear power station, but with no radioactivity, no waste, and no expensive decommisioning."

« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 05:16:38 AM by Capt Slog »

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 06:46:34 AM »
Interestingly I saw something that suggested that the energy that goes into making nuclear power (construction, handling, mining, disposal) per kWh generated is similar to wind!

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 06:46:34 AM by DamonHD »

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

finnsawyer

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 08:39:50 AM »
Right now in the U.S. the cost of disposing of the nuclear waste seems to be tending toward infinity.  Namely because they have been storing it in casks in such locations as on the shore of one of the Great Lakes.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 08:39:50 AM by finnsawyer »

Jon Miller

• Otherpower UK
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 11:47:33 AM »
Capt Slog,

Nuclear is a low carbon, base power generation method.  Waste is a very big issue but the UK wouldnt have a national centralised gird without nuclear and the associated advantages of distributing large wind farm's power to consumers.  

« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 11:47:33 AM by Jon Miller »

powerbuoy

Re: 500+MW windfarm largest offshore windfarm in w
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 09:27:03 AM »
As strange as it might seem on this forum, I am actually a proponent of nuclear power. If we truly follow wind power to its origins, then we have to accept the fact that wind only exists because of the gigantic fusion reactor over our heads that we call "sun". Same goes of course for all the other renewables, solar etc. It's funny how many people despise any idea of nuclear energy despite the fact that every life form heavily depends on it ... just some food for thought.

Of course some nay sayers will mention that there is a difference between fusion and our current way of doing it, that's why the ITER experiment is so important.

http://www.iter.org/a/index_nav_1.htm

Powerbuoy

« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 09:27:03 AM by powerbuoy »

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Re: 500+MW windfarm largest offshore windfarm in w
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 12:14:11 PM »
I believe that nuclear is an important and good part of the electricity mix if we can avoid being bitten by 'peak Uranium' which may already be with us.

Reprocessing (ie making better use of the fuel we have), Thorium, fusion, etc, are all potentially 'improved' alternatives to earlier generations of nuke.

But in any case, as a highly-principled close relative of mine was instrumental in gaining the planning permission for one of the UK's largest nukes, and by happy chance that's now where the power will land from the 500MW wind farm AFAIK, then I'm already sold on nuclear, if it's done right.  B^>

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 12:14:11 PM by DamonHD »

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

CraigM

Re: 500+MW (Now 1.4GW) windfarm largest offshore windfarm in world.
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 09:38:25 AM »
Top stories
DONG Energy to build 1.4GW Hornsea Project Two windfarm in UK
Power Technology · 1 day ago
DONG Energy awarded contract to build the world's biggest offshore wind farm
Windpower Engineering · 2 days ago
DONG Energy To Build World's Largest Offshore Wind Farm At 1386 MW
CleanTechnica · 2 days ago

Post from nine years ago largest offshore windfarm was 500MW. Think homebrew wind power will ever break into offshore????
Brain engaged in Absorption Charge Mode... please wait, this may take awhile.

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Re: 500+MW windfarm largest offshore windfarm in world.
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 11:29:15 AM »
It *is* all in Queen Elizabeth's backyard, leased space from the Crown Estate.

Bet she doesn't pot the stators herself though...

Rgds

Damon

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

george65

Re: 500+MW (Now 1.4GW) windfarm largest offshore windfarm in world.
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 02:15:14 AM »
Top stories
Post from nine years ago largest offshore windfarm was 500MW. Think homebrew wind power will ever break into offshore????

Another post from 9 years ago. 
They're always banging on about that angle, CO2 emmisions and what it's equivalent to. 

Even more freaking annoying now. I am sick to the effing back teeth with it! I don't care about C02 emissions with everything is see or do. For those that are, they can look it up. Stop shoving it down my thoat all the damn time!

Went looking at new fridges and appliances a month or so ago. Sales kid was pointing out Co2 rating one everything. Mrs looked at Clothes Dryers. One was $300, another was $1900.  I said to sales Kid, in reality, what does this do better than that. he went on to explain the exy one was a heat pump type and used less power causing.... less Co2.  I shook my head and mumbled some indignation. Mrs gave me the look. I sai to sales kid, Tell you what, you don't mention this co2 BS again and I -Might- buy something off you but if you do, I'm out of here after complaining to your manager, deal?

Every thing you look at has this co2 crap on it including the power bill. I resent having a guilt try laid on me all the time for something I can't control.
Anyone things I'm going to freeze my arse off in winter just because of some globull warming scam, think again.

It's already been worked out the whole of Oz contributes 1.3% of globull co2 emissions. Also admitted by the most prominent fear mongerer in the country that the gubbermint bases all it's green initiatives on that eliminating the entire emissions of Oz is not going to make one iota of difference to the planet.

If the Co2 emissions of the entire nation aren't going to make any difference, why is this BS guilt trip being laid on me and everyone else here all the time?

I would like to know the REAL and FACTUAL numbers for these solar farms to repay the emissions, energy and resources consumed in their development and manufacture. I'm sure there are the predictably massaged and basicly garbage numbers to say what the greenwashed want them to say but I know, the REAL numbers would be something else.  There are also a lot of other considerations with these large scale solar farms and they are not the be all and end all capture of rainbows and sunshine that is made out.

That said, just got another 5Kw of panels to put on my roof.  Not because I could care less about the co2 crock, but because the greenwashed have directly caused power prices to go through the roof literally here, like double in 5 years. At least now the gubbermint is trying to stop coal fired stations being blown up because they realise we are already in the Ka Ka for power and the renewable isn't cutting it by a very long shot.
They are now franticaly Building DIESEL fired power plants to make up for the shortfall they know they have.  Manical in a country that has more coal and gas than about any other on the planet. We are importing diesel to burn at a rate of 80L an hour for one place alone.  Yep, sure as a good thing getting rid of those coal stations so we could  burn diesel instead.

And they admit the co2 we put out makes not one bit of difference.
Yeah, thanks greenwashed for all your rabble rousing and causing power shortages and price hikes for no actual benefit, really appreciate it.   ::)