Logged in users > User Diaries

Wind Turbine install from start to finish - a photo diary

<< < (3/3)

bmannz:
The Disaster

About a month later I was digging an overland flow path around the bridge over the drain when this happened...

I totally crushed the duct into a Z shape and dragged about a foot back out of the nearest pit.  Of course it was the duct with the CAT6 in - the most fragile cable!

I opened up the duct carefully with a multitool and amazingly there was no damage to the cable at all except for when I slipped with the cutters and nicked the CAT6

So it turns out that ICE CAT6 is able to withstand a 5 tonne digger blade - good to know.

Over the following year I had a few hassles with the controller crapping out (see this post for more on how to fix an HYE controller  http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,148561.msg1041907.html#msg1041907 ) but the net result was that instead of the voltage dropping every night like this:

Whenever there was a reasonable breeze the state of charge looked more like this:

So now we have a second string to our offgrid system and now when it blows rather than getting annoyed at the wind we walk around the house turning everything on just because we can.

Thanks for reading and thanks to everyone who helped get this puppy up and running - couldn't have done it without you!

To check out my next crazy project take a look here:
http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,149308.0.html

bmannz:
Hi Matt, yes it certainly was - about 10 families over 6 months by the end of it!

SparWeb:
Hi Bmannz,
Great project!   Sure looks like a "tower" project rather than a "turbine" project - but I know too well myself that's how it goes.

eigenmorph:
A lot of hard work and expense. I hope it serves you well.

Here we live in a hole, so windpower isn't practical. We are sometimes kept awake at night by the whooshing of the commercial wind turbines 25 miles away. Fortunately we are upwind of the turbines under prevailing conditions and the noise of the wind in the forestry next to us is random.

It seems you also get sunshine where you are. It's jealous I am. This year we have had a total of about 6 Gin & Tonic days. Still, we don't have to worry about water for the beasts.

An interesting and informative read. Thanks.

Jim Cahill

bmannz:
Hi Jim, thanks for that - I hope so too!

If there's one place in the world I'd live other than NZ it's Bantry or anywhere on the Ring of Kerry on the southwest of your beautiful island - just stunning countryside and wonderful people -

I don't suppose a noise cancelling system would work for your wind turbine noise?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version