Author Topic: Finally - 11' Motor Conversion Flying  (Read 1819 times)

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
Finally - 11' Motor Conversion Flying
« on: July 26, 2017, 02:57:08 AM »
I built this 3 phase 48 volt motor conversion quite some time ago (see classifieds post custom alternators) and finally completed the wind turbine. Tops out at about 300 lbs. 90' up and as alwys now waiting for decent wind for testing. Comercial slip ring assembly, manual and electric braking, custom controller with redundant auto shutdown. Supplimenting 7kw voltaic charging 1110 AH 48 volt LA  L-16's. As the days grow shorter and Fall and Winter winds pick up I plan for this to be very helpful. Updates to follow. Dave B.  www.dcbenergy.com

DCB Energy Systems
http://dcbenergy.com/

kitestrings

Re: Finally - 11' Motor Conversion Flying
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 09:57:38 PM »
Looks great Dave.  Hope it works well for you, and share some details as after you catch your breath and gather more data/observations.  ~ks

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 01:03:42 AM »
Thanks KS. I can't wait for a decent storm to blow through for a shake down and testing of the system. I had the fiberglass blade set but a better match will be about 14' for this alternator maybe after running it through the winter. Better to error on the safe side to begin with was my thought all along with this experimental build. I'll also need to shut down the solar and burn some AHs to bring the batteries down when the wind comes through, floating often with these Dog days of summer still but that will change. Hope to post an update soon. Dave B.
DCB Energy Systems
http://dcbenergy.com/

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 04:58:37 PM »
What are the details on your motor conversion?  And do you have any close pictures of how you built your hub and mounted the motor?  I would be interested in all the details you care to share. And of course the performance too.  I have a converted 5hp that needs a chassis built and tower.  Hopefully this fall. 

Have you had any interest on your custom motor conversions?  I think it's a great idea and that if you set up some jigs and what not it could be done very economical.  I wish you success with it.