Remote Living > Heating

Phase Change [heating with solar]

<< < (2/10) > >>

mbouwer:
Bruce,

It's not so easy to store heat for a long time.

I gave my green house 3 layers of glas with a big cavity between them.
Even in high winds and at severe frost a 60 watt lamp ensures a pleasant temperature inside.

Regards Rinus

DamonHD:
This is the way I would choose to store heat, with phase change, if possible:

https://www.sunamp.com/

They're also up to about 30,000 cycles of the storage with no loss of capacity so far.

Rgds

Damon

Bruce S:
mbower1:
Keeping the green house warm can be an exercise in futility  :o.
Where I'm located we can get weeks of -12C weather during the coldest parts. AT that time any plants that are not in the house will be put in the composter. The green house was an inexpensive one and setting it up for extended winter projects will take some time.

elecrtondady1;
Not really sure what you mean about equal mass, however in side by side tests with tallow, tap water and salted tap water each at 500mL ALL warmed up to 150F , the tallow will hold it's heat 2x longer than either waters. This I did just in our kitchen using room temperature at about 78F. Along with using a no-touch infrared temp gun with the fluids being held in glass canning jars. I'd would've really like to have had a constant temp monitoring going on with all three.

IF by equal mass you mean the same amounts in weights, then no I did not test it like that.

DamonHD:
 that stuff looks a lot like the stuff we get for sore shoulders, they can be reused a bunch of times. I'll certainly be reading up on that stuff.

MattM;
Yes this is to grab any heat the sun can provide, setting up those beer can heaters are pretty easy, this is kinda like that , but in the water barrels it heats up the water instead of just air. Works pretty well, the green house keeps the wind and snow/ice stuff off of them and when the sun shines, the inside can get toasty ( not scientific term but,,, ).

Having the candles to burn could help, but I'd be a little worried about the fire ( I could always have my local FD engine house come by and give me tips  8), but then they would want to stay , hang out, drink my coffee  ;))

Another issue I'm worried about is the expansion rate of the tallow, since I do not want this and the water to mix, I need to keep the containers air tight.

This idea may turn out to be more work than it's worth :-(.

Amish_Fighter_Pilot:
I still think the idea has merit, but your choice of material may need some revision.

Bruce S:

--- Quote from: Amish_Fighter_Pilot on August 18, 2017, 12:52:07 PM ---I still think the idea has merit, but your choice of material may need some revision.

--- End quote ---

I agree, but , this is why I post these things here. More than just starting a journal, beginning a test phase then spending loads of time or $$$, I can get very honest useful input.

Tallow, until humans become totally vegans (NOT in my lifetime I'm sure) will be around. A visit to a farmer's market only 10mins away can net me 20Kg for far less than buying paraffin.
The candles are neat to burn, and much much cheaper than making soy candles. Plus as an added bonus they're easy to burn in the chimney.

The Phase change link DamonHD sent is an interesting one too.

Cheers
Bruce S

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version