Remote Living > Lighting

LED Lighting for 24 VDC Ststems

<< < (3/6) > >>

armadillo:
I'm not a gadget guy. With electronics, equalizing is too many steps to memorize as it is, I don't want to make it any more complicated.   I believe in the K.I.S.S. principle. I was just wondering if there was any simple and cost-effective solution to my 24 VDC lighting needs.

Simen:
Well;,if you want to sacrifice a little efficiency, a DC-DC converter from 24 to 12V would do it (F.ex. Victron's converters can handle up to 35V.); then you could run all your lights at a steady 12V. Plenty of cheap and good 12V led-bulbs out there...

I run a 12V system in my house, with dc-outlets in every room, and are about to rewire my solar/battery to 24V. But i do not have any need for 24V at the outlets in the house - only for the inverter and reducing cable-loss from panels, so i'll insert a dc-dc converter in line to the outlets...

Bruce S:
Your best bet would be to email Superbrightleds directly
They are nice people only 15 miles from my house and almost became my employer.
Their website has changed again, the older one had way too much info for the average user. Looks like they've dumbed it down unfortunately.

Hope that helps
Bruce S

Mary B:
LED fixtures have built in voltage and current controllers that are needed for long LED life. Search and find ones that can handle up to 32 volts!

armadillo:

--- Quote from: Simen on September 11, 2017, 01:55:31 PM ---Well;,if you want to sacrifice a little efficiency, a DC-DC converter from 24 to 12V would do it (F.ex. Victron's converters can handle up to 35V.); then you could run all your lights at a steady 12V. Plenty of cheap and good 12V led-bulbs out there...

I run a 12V system in my house, with dc-outlets in every room, and are about to rewire my solar/battery to 24V. But i do not have any need for 24V at the outlets in the house - only for the inverter and reducing cable-loss from panels, so i'll insert a dc-dc converter in line to the outlets...

--- End quote ---
Thanks, this is an interesting option. I will have some 12 VDC loads anyway and I was thinking of getting a Samlex DC-DC converter, but the Orion is much more efficient!  95% compared to 85%.The only downside to 12 VDC lighting is the copper wiring needed to keep voltage drop within range. Some of the runs will be over 40 feet. I'm using 10-2 romex.  I'll have to mull this over. In any case I'll get one for other DC loads.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version