Remote Living > Lighting

LED Lighting for 24 VDC Ststems

<< < (5/6) > >>

DamonHD:
Yes Bruce, do them a favour and let the CEO know that the phone training needs improving!

Rgds

Damon

Bruce S:
DamonHD
Funny you say that. I called he wanted to know if I was still interested it the position. AND yes they are hiring.
I would LOVE to jump, but alas the pay is too far below my minimum  :(. Perhaps in the next 1/2 dozen years when I'm in retirement mode  :o

Now , for the question at hand:
The 24Vdc bulbs can handle anything as low as 20Vdc and as high as 28Vdc. At 21V you'll see crazy high current needs during the on-rush (turn on) IF they even come on. This is a bit complicated as it depends on the number of LEDs in the bulb or strip. The 29V is just as complicated as you're pushing against the forward voltages of the LEDs themselves.

OF course, depending on how far the battery setup is from the lights, the higher voltages might not be a real issue, but the lower one certainly will. Line loss even for 24Vdc systems can be a factor.
Their marine bulbs are built with battery charging regimes in mind.

Armadillo
We might need a little more information on your setup to better help. Distances from batteries to closest light and farthest light. Battery types , wire size (though I think you said Romex )

Here's hoping this helps
Bruce S

armadillo:

--- Quote from: Bruce S on September 13, 2017, 04:02:40 PM ---

OF course, depending on how far the battery setup is from the lights, the higher voltages might not be a real issue, but the lower one certainly will.
--- End quote ---
I've been off grid for 8 years and have never been down to 21 volts . 29 volts is not uncommon. I think a system should be designed so that lights will not self-destruct if turned on while equalizing and that could be above 30 volts.

If only one bulb is on, isn't there much less voltage drop than when six lights are running on the same circuit? If so, that's when that one bulb would be subject to the highest voltage.
--- Quote ---
Armadillo
We might need a little more information on your setup to better help. Distances from batteries to closest light and farthest light. Battery types , wire size (though I think you said Romex )

Here's hoping this helps
Bruce S

--- End quote ---
Batteries are going to be Trojan L-16REB 6 volts x eight. Distances and wire size are going to be typical, all over the place, but mostly 10 gauge runs, many 40 to 50 feet.

mab:
I've noticed that a lot of modern 12v leds such as strips are designed to run off a 12v regulated psu and are just a string of 3 leds and a resistor. The older units designed as substitutes for halogen are built with proper switch-mode psu's and are generally God to over 30v

armadillo:

--- Quote from: mab on September 14, 2017, 05:11:06 AM ---I've noticed that a lot of modern 12v leds such as strips are designed to run off a 12v regulated psu and are just a string of 3 leds and a resistor.

--- End quote ---
It makes one wonder why they didn't choose a voltage like 18 VDC or 36 VDC so that people wouldn't make the mistake of using them in place of lights for 12 VDC systems, where they would soon fail. Perhaps they figure they'll make money selling them to the wrong market, then when dissatisfied buyers try to return them they can play the "specifications" excuse.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version