Microcontrollers > Microcontrollers/General

Arduino Based Datalogger

<< < (2/2)

Bruce S:
It sure is nice to see the numbers in a visual format!

Are you using those numbers to switch between star and Jerry?

I've also found the twisted pairs of CAT5 to be a great way to move data along. Every time I think I need another run of it ,,, I pull 2 instead. I've learned the hard way I'll eventually need that 2nd on

Congrats!!

SparWeb:
Every time I look for a simple connector and cable for the data inputs, I look around and around, and find stuff that's hard to mount, hard to connect, hard to pay for...
Then there's CAT 5 (and its little brother CAT 3) and all my problems are solved.
I too, and very glad I took the time run a CAT 5 along with the power cables when I buried the lines to the tower!

Nothing so fancy as automatic switching on Star/Jerry or /Delta.  Up until a month ago, there was no way to know the turbine speed, so how would the speed switch work?
Now that I do have a known speed, all of these possibilities open up.

Did another run for data last night, just in Jerry.  Put the Oscope on it just for kicks, and at night the green flickering glow was kind of eerie!  :)
Plotted last night's data on the same graph, and the line runs STRAIGHT through the data from last weekend.  Wow.

Next thing will be to connect a temp sensor and put in temperature corrections.  It's already apparent that the current sensor offsets go off  (by about 2 amps) when the unit is taken out of the warm house and into the cold shed.  As you can see in the schematic, that's no surprise and been part of the plan all along.

Last night's test in very light winds showed that, in Star, a trickle of current does come in, but at that speed the threshold to activate the RPM isn't crossed.  I could only see RPM when switched to Jerry where the turbine turns much faster.  I think the voltage divider which steps the incoming AC down 1/6 is too steep and I should change it to a 1/4 voltage divider.  Unfortunately I would need to add some 5V zeners for protection and there's almost no room on the board any more!

SparWeb:
Good clean data coming in.
Not finding any blips or wobbles.

I did manage to burn up a current sensor on the weekend.  Made a better cable for it, but had the contacts switched!
Thankfully Amploc still makes these.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version