Microcontrollers > Data Logging

Arduino for beginners

<< < (3/8) > >>

SparWeb:
My code tends to be written for a specific board, too.  In the header comments, I identify the board I'm working on. 
On some projects I change the Arduino board I'm using mid-project, so when I look back at previous revisions of the code, I can see in the header comments which board I was using at that time.

Which brings up another point:  REVISION CONTROL
I love revision control.  Everyone loves it, don't they??

When I write a sketch, the sketch file and folder name have the current date in them.
As I work on it, the next day, I SAVEAS a new sketch folder and it has THAT date on it.

If I test code that works, and then go on later developing it, I may change something that the old parts of the program needed and they stop working.
I can go back to code that works, if I screwed something up and can't fix it.

Last point: I add a little text file into every folder and make separate notes about the conditions of the testing, what worked, what failed, etc.
There are only 2 names I use for that text file:
THIS_CODE_WORKS.TXT
or
THIS_CODE_DOESNT_WORK.TXT

DamonHD:
Version control: dates and comments good.

Even better, for extra credit and to impress the right people at parties, and for automatic off-site backups...  Use SourceForge or GitHub or similar.  You *don't* need to use all the fancy stuff.  You can just use the Web site editor if you want and paste your new code in there.  It'll automatically get versioned and dated and backed up, and you can look at old ones whenever you want...  All free if you don't mind people seeing your stuff.  And if you do want to share, then easy: share a link.

Rgds

Damon

PS.  Wel maybe not SourceForge ... http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/09/27/faulty_data_center_takes_out_sourceforge/  I keep everything important on GitHub these days.  But anyhow.

OperaHouse:
I can't say that something will actually work unless it is fully built and tested.  That takes a lot of time.  As I build from what parts I have on hand, it is unlikely these exact parts will be available to others.  FETs are like a flavor of the month and new ones are coming out all the time and others are being discontinued.  I build a system to meet my needs which is often quite different from other vanilla systems.  I like sharing ideas, ideas should be free.  In what I've written before I break things down into basic function blocks like voltage dividers and FET drivers in hardware and basic functions in software.  The only way to learn is to get your feet wet. With some basic knowledge these can be adapted to your own needs.  Next year I will be offering a general function board to provide a more finished look.  I won't be producing it.  It will be supplied by a prior co worker to earn him some extra income.   So far I've bought thousands of parts so values may be a bit more standardized in future demonstrator projects.  All projects are simple enough that a $2 NANO project board on ebay can be used.

Bruce S:
I'm kinda with george65 on part of the flow and building.

I can easily assemble an analog device (GHURD controller) know the parts and what everything is for and what not.

BUT if I'm looking to say build a battery charger for non-standard voltages. LiFePO4 ( is 3.2 ; you push 4.2 like a Li-ion and there's going to be lots of magic smoke getting out  :P) .
So in looking at different ways of going about this, I see these very nice programs, I can follow along and understand, BUT then that's it.
Don't get me wrong I can usually reverse engineer stuff, and I don't like having stuff just done for me I cannot learn that way.

It would be nice to see the schematic so I can follow along with the logic of it. I can follow the logic of Operahouse's stuff and understand more complex codes.

As it so happens, I'm working on rebuilding a 36V 2Ah battery pack that will be rebuilt into a 13Vdc 4Ah battery pack to run a mil-spec grade router that needs 1.5A at 12.8Vdc to stay alive.

It would be nice to build up one of these so I can quickly see the SOC along with a fail-safe to shut it down if the batteries reach a set shut-off thresh hold.

I might be that I'll need to build out the stuff with analog parts, then reverse engineer it going the digital route. It could be I'm also trying to make this harder than it really is  8)

Bruce S:
frackers;
Your stuff I can follow too. I like the comments that have simple concise explanations.
Thanks
Bruce S

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version