Author Topic: Arduino for beginners  (Read 9516 times)

OperaHouse

Re: Arduino for beginners
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2017, 09:09:03 AM »
The ground plane is an homage to a long lost post called something like FET DESTROYER.  The OP had blown way more than $100 woth of high powered FET and IGBT on a UNO windmill water heater dump.  Understandably he was beginning to believe it wasn't possible to get working.  Everyone had him hanging unbelievable amounts of crap on the FET for spike protection.  That solution didn't make sense to me, there had to be another reason. When I finally got time I did some old fashioned circuit sleuthing.  I found the problem elsewhere in the electronics.  The OP then got it working.  A little technical nuance stopped what was otherwise an exemplary execution of hardware and code.

Arduino may be a lot like the guy who says he hasn't liked the women he has been going out with.  And you tell him he should date super models.  Not necessarily bad advice.

All electronics is the assembly of basic building blocks like voltage dividers and output devices.  Understanding the operation of these allows you to build anything.  I understand the desire to have a turnkey laid out system.  That just doesn't get you very far. Deciphering pins from code is just a matter of finding the analog read and digital write statements.  That tells you the pin number.  Unlike on other microprocessor chips the pins are directly labeled A1 for analog and D6 for digital.  Just saying You don't understand gives me no way to answer. Asking why is this resistor here or how does the signal get out gives me something to work with.  There are relatively few basic circuits which will allow you to do everything.  This is the building block approach I have used. Perhaps a series of hardware posts would be helpful.

Since this is the scary month of October, it is time to post some frighting photos.  I needed an 80V buck converter of just a couple amps.  A block of wood, NANO and an old TV cut up.  The ground planers won't sleep tonight!  Just tell me you can't make something look as good as this.

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2017, 11:45:46 AM »
I have a wood 'ground plane' just like that at my feet!  B^>

Just like the original breadboards, before all this fancy conductive stuff...

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2017, 12:14:35 PM »
ground plane!?? I thought that was the 600V insulators.
 No wonder my freebie meter wires got too hot to touch while trying to measure voltage in the current setting  :o.

Learn sumting knew everyday.

A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard