Author Topic: Data from my home  (Read 1352 times)

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Data from my home
« on: May 14, 2022, 12:46:24 PM »
Hi,

I've put together (and I am still expanding) a standardised machine-readable dataset from all my home microgeneration, storage, etc, logging.

https://www.earth.org.uk/energy-series-dataset.html

It should automatically update and extend as new underlying data arrives, about a month at a time.

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: Data from my home
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2022, 02:52:11 PM »
Woah.  That's a load of information.   The trends are obvious, though.

From that starting point, can you see any finer details of your system performance?  For example, monthly use of Electricity minus monthly production, in comparison to your net export.  If I'm using the terms correctly they would come out even in a 100% efficient system when you produce more than you use, but nothing is.  Meaning you could determine your system's overall efficiency.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2022, 04:39:55 PM »
Being here in the states, I have seen a massif effort being put forth as to put solar panels on every house roof. I understand that panels do infact wear-out overtime. 

This seems to be the plan in the US   

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2022, 11:12:13 PM »
just trying to put the pieces together with our program.
https://www.energy.gov/eere/solar/homeowners-guide-going-solar

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2022, 08:51:50 AM »
JW;
True they do "wear out" but the time interval is 25+ years. I helped a missionary site in Papua New Guinea clean up some Arco<-- panels that were already 25years old. The "pros" told them were old and needed removing. I helped learn how to wash the lichen off with vinegar and "POOF!!" they started producing again.
People forget that panels do need cleaning from time to time. Sure the output probably isn't what it once was, but they work well enough to laptop batteries and such.

Cheers
Bruce S

A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2022, 02:19:04 AM »
@SparWeb I have more numbers to add to the set yet!

But for example, the exports have been dropping in winter more than we've been using because of the increased standing load from the Enphase batteries.  (I would have stopped at 2 units rather than 4 had I not been made a nice offer!)

However, changing storage sizes and covid, and now the Thermal battery, do make changes harder to track.

With the thermal battery it should be possible to see exports drop, imports rise significantly during winter, and gas import drop most visibly during summer.

Overall I have two goals:

* Reduce carbon footprint.
  * Reduce flows of energy into (and out of) the house that "someone else" has to deal with.

Those are happening, I think, but are sometimes in conflict, especially around the solar PV diversion for heat.

Rgds

Damon
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 05:09:51 AM by DamonHD »

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

MattM

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2022, 07:55:52 AM »
Damon,

I think your goal is admirable but counter-intuitive.  Energy is life.  Everything in nature feeds off external energy.  Are you proposing the approach to zero energy in your home?  That's really simple.  That literally means the opposite of living life.  Nature appreciates your waste energy.

We all want a clean environment.  And we have access to the cleanest energy in our locations, the stuff coming off the grid.  If you're trying to have the least impact on your location then never fill the valleys in your local utility, basically use energy without any hint of storage when everybody else is using it and go without usage when the utility is running peak 'lows' in demand.  This will be more efficient than anything you can do with a battery.

The public electricity runs at a much higher power rating than a person can do at home.  Storing energy is always at considerable loss, so it wouldn't be wise to store it to ever reach your stated goals.  Electricity at peak energy demand is made at a better power rating than energy generated at the lowest public energy periods, but running at peak means higher energy costs and a smaller piece of the public pie.  Money is ultimately your best gauge of efficiency.  Energy generated at the highest power rating is the most expensive.  You'd be splitting hairs to find improvements otherwise.  By using energy at peak demand you're doing all of us a favor and burning a hole in your pocket at the same time.  So philosophically speaking, you would best serve your stated pair of goals by using all of your energy at peak demand. 

I personally would rather seek load balancing across the public grid.  I'd be saving money and feeding nature when it needs the waste energy the most.  If generating my own electricity its more expensive than the public electricity in every case, then doing so never reaches those goals you outlined.  But that independence from the grid will only cost me less over time especially if inflation grows.  And eventually I'd hope to have more jingle in my pocket over the life of the project.  But that independence will never reduce my carbon footprint and I'm fine with that.  Just my two cents.

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2022, 03:36:39 PM »
@MattM thanks for your response: I'm too tired to respond properly this evening but I'll get back to you!

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

MattM

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2022, 08:19:52 PM »
When I say power rating I mean power factor.  I was typing that before my coffee kicked in.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2022, 01:06:14 PM »
Hi Bruce thanks for the feedback Im not sure where I heard that. I think was from plastic lens type.

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2022, 08:23:37 AM »
Damon,

I think your goal is admirable but counter-intuitive.  Energy is life.  Everything in nature feeds off external energy.  Are you proposing the approach to zero energy in your home?  That's really simple.  That literally means the opposite of living life.  Nature appreciates your waste energy.

We all want a clean environment.  And we have access to the cleanest energy in our locations, the stuff coming off the grid.  If you're trying to have the least impact on your location then never fill the valleys in your local utility, basically use energy without any hint of storage when everybody else is using it and go without usage when the utility is running peak 'lows' in demand.  This will be more efficient than anything you can do with a battery.

The public electricity runs at a much higher power rating than a person can do at home.  Storing energy is always at considerable loss, so it wouldn't be wise to store it to ever reach your stated goals.  Electricity at peak energy demand is made at a better power rating than energy generated at the lowest public energy periods, but running at peak means higher energy costs and a smaller piece of the public pie.  Money is ultimately your best gauge of efficiency.  Energy generated at the highest power rating is the most expensive.  You'd be splitting hairs to find improvements otherwise.  By using energy at peak demand you're doing all of us a favor and burning a hole in your pocket at the same time.  So philosophically speaking, you would best serve your stated pair of goals by using all of your energy at peak demand. 

I personally would rather seek load balancing across the public grid.  I'd be saving money and feeding nature when it needs the waste energy the most.  If generating my own electricity its more expensive than the public electricity in every case, then doing so never reaches those goals you outlined.  But that independence from the grid will only cost me less over time especially if inflation grows.  And eventually I'd hope to have more jingle in my pocket over the life of the project.  But that independence will never reduce my carbon footprint and I'm fine with that.  Just my two cents.

Hi Matt,

(Last few days were a bot hectic!)

Yes, life needs energy and sitting with the lights off rocking back and forth crying is no life at all either.

So, I'm trying to get my family/household doing what they want to but minimising impact on the planet, eg so life can still be fun for my kids when they grow up.

That includes carbon footprint from energy imported from the utilities.

My aim is to minimise carbon footprint and try out parts of the tech to see what works and what doesn't and write it up for others to read.

Storage isn't free, as in beer or as in energy losses, but nor is (a) shipping energy across the distribution network in particular at maybe 5% losses, nor (b) generating energy with peaker plants and other expensive messy ways at peak demand.  If the costs and losses of storage at home are less than those then it's a win.  I don't know if that is the case yet.  Some of these things will definitely be better done at grid level.  I try to make that happen as well.

Local generation isn't free either, but injecting energy near load demand is another way of reducing overall system losses, and load shaping/shifting is good too.

But note that we also cut our basic usage for heat and light by more than a factor of 2 and have a more comfortable and quieter house than we did.  That's a win in my book.

Rgds

Damon

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

MattM

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2022, 07:41:24 PM »
You've always done intetesting projects.  The aerogel I think was one iirc.

Don't stop what you're doing.  That's great stuff you do.  I can be prone to make random observations..  sometime it comes across smartalik  I don't try to offend anyone.  I hope it didn't come across that way.

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2022, 12:49:18 PM »
No way, please keep observing also!

Rgds

Damon

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2022, 03:08:51 PM »
I think that I have most of the energy data sets sorted now.

Even looking at the simple histogram-style display in the tables has shown me new features of this 10+ year old info!

Rgds

Damon

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2022, 02:31:45 PM »
A short podcast episode on my energy stats, in case any of you are into that!

http://www.earth.org.uk/statscast-202205.html

Rgds

Damon

@DamonHD@mastodon.social