Homebrewed Electricity > Other

I found this at "work" the other day...it failed to handle the load...

(1/2) > >>

TheEquineFencer:
The center of it kind of got ripped out when the 1200Ah low/discharged 24V battery bank was applied to the DC output of the Alternator. The 3Ph's are dumped into a bridge rectifier then into the batteries. Max DC output from the alternator is around 36VDC at 2000 RPM with a 210A output. Right now the "bandaid" they put on it is to install a 60A MorningStar Tristar MPPT to limit the voltage/current to a max of 60A to the batteries.

When I saw the alternator end after I took it apart I thought about this website. I'm going to see if I can get the parts when they are ready to throw them away. there's like 20 magnets on each of the rotors. The stator (center shaft) stays still and the rotor with the mags rotate as they are bolted to the flywheel.

Some company out of Australia builds the generators for the mining industry.

electrondady1:
nice find . you can tell it wants to be a windmill.

TheEquineFencer:
That's what I was thinking. I may end up with 2-3 of them, all failed with the center ripped out from the looks of it. The magnets are thin, maybe 1/8  inch or a little thicker.

My guess is the thing heated up because it couldn't dissipate the heat fast enough and the stator came in contact with the rotors and ripped the center loose.

I'm wondering if I get it, build a new center plate with the windings in it with larger wire for lower RPM and space the plates a little more apart for some cooling.

SparWeb:
Cool
Sealed oil bath, right?
It looks to me that a magnet is dislodged.  First picture, left-hand half, 11 o'clock position.

joestue:

--- Quote from: TheEquineFencer on October 17, 2017, 09:17:42 AM ---That's what I was thinking. I may end up with 2-3 of them, all failed with the center ripped out from the looks of it. The magnets are thin, maybe 1/8  inch or a little thicker.

My guess is the thing heated up because it couldn't dissipate the heat fast enough and the stator came in contact with the rotors and ripped the center loose.

I'm wondering if I get it, build a new center plate with the windings in it with larger wire for lower RPM and space the plates a little more apart for some cooling.

--- End quote ---

you've got an ideal candidate for rebuilding there.

the shape of the existing coil is probably somewhat ideal. i would not re-wind new coils if you can use the existing coils.

as far as:

--- Quote --- larger wire for lower RPM and space the plates a little more apart for some cooling.
--- End quote ---

no, not at all. to get more volts out you need more turns of thinner wire.

spacing the magnet plates further apart will do nothing for cooling because the churning of the air between the rotor and the plate is what pushes heat through the air gap. radiation won't be changed by the gap either. you would want it as little as possible.

and the magnet flux will be decreased by the larger air gap, and the magnet flux squared is what sets the performance of an electrical motor.

at direct drive wind turbine speeds.. liquid cooling would be great.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version