Author Topic: 11' Status - It was fun while it lasted  (Read 1660 times)

watermanhfl

11' Status - It was fun while it lasted
« on: July 22, 2018, 09:23:24 PM »
Well  a caution to all of you, check those saddle clamps once a year.  So I built a 10' otherpower design back in 2006 on 55' tower after attending a DanB seminar..  Replaced stator once, replaced bearings once and switched to fiberglass Powermax blades many years ago.  Now wind turbine is on the ground and will fly no more.  Happened way out back so no one was around.  It was needing a major rebuild anyways after 12 years so not toooo upset.  Three guy wires on 4 corners and all at least double clamped.  But on the gin pole side there was a single cable with a single saddle clamp holding the pole down.  Gin pole is down wind normally so hardly needs a cable to hold it down, until with the crazy weather we get a strong Easterly wind and turbine comes down.  Looks like single saddle clamp was loose and I had not checked it in Many years.  With all that is going on and the fact that my PV puts out much more than turbine, it is not going back up.  I will post some of the bits in the classified as they my help others.  It is all fixable if you have time.  Only one blade was damaged and it is fixable.  Cables, clamps, control box, winch, magnets, lots of stuff.  So check those cable clamps!!!
10' axial on 50' tilt-up.  3.4k solar grid tied. Upstate NY

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: 11' Status - It was fun while it lasted
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 11:51:14 PM »
Waterman,

I would have responded sooner, but I ran outside with my wrenches first.

Ouch!  Terrible way to go, but at least you got many good years out of it.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca