Author Topic: 4' wind generator axial design ideas?  (Read 2347 times)

jenkinswt

4' wind generator axial design ideas?
« on: November 04, 2017, 07:48:09 PM »
Hello, I'm not really set on a certain size but my 11, almost 12 year old son is super excited about wind generators. That's mostly my fault. My boys have a clubhouse I built with a outlet and light switch and he wants his own tiny system and he wants to build most of it by himself with some help from me.

Now I know I could stick a small solar panel on there and be done (tried to persuade him into that) but he wants more of a challenge. We're completely off grid so he's familiar with alot of this. I look at this also as a learning project as well. I've checked out a bunch of kid projects on otherpower.com and will keep those in mind but does anyone have any around this size they've built? I don't think we'll do the treadmill motors, etc. Mostly looking for a good small axial flux design.

He really doesn't need much power, I'm thinking of using a single 12 volt battery and a old tiny inverter. I haven't figured out a controller yet, I don't want anything elaborate but do want to make it safe. I'm just collecting ideas at this point as I have too many other projects. For right now we are getting him some hand tools and a woodworking book for Xmas. We might get the magnets and wire for his birthday.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
Re: 4' wind generator axial design ideas?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 08:01:24 PM »
Maybe find a scrap washing machine with an F&P motor and teach him to recycle?

jenkinswt

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 08:26:34 PM »
Considering that as well, I keep kicking myself when we moved a few years back we had no room for our fisher paykel washer and was really short on time so we left it. There's not a lot of that around that comes up cheap/free around here. Our local scrap place doesn't take appliances either. I do think I can come up with a lot of scrap pieces for the bearing assembly, tail, possibly use auto rotors for the magnets if its not more work than its worth. I probably have wood for the blades also. It seems there's a lot of existing mills in the 7'-20' range but not a lot smaller as most I've seen have treadmill motors and PVC blades, etc. I don't think I'd want to stand outside if PVC blades were buzzing around!

I have most of the stuff for a 10' mill but that's too much.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 09:50:32 PM »
Some have used old brake disks for the rotors which are just about right for this job.  Actually, old brake drums can be used, too.
This is a lot like a Hugh Piggott project, so you can check this out for inspiration: 
http://www.scoraigwind.com/liselotte/index.htm
http://www.scoraigwind.com/selfblade/index.htm
http://www.scoraigwind.com/books/books.htm
It's a very old website, and some links are broken, but stick with it because it's worth it.

If you want to look for old DC motors or servo motors to re-purpose, you can look for old mobility scooters, wheelchairs, electric hand-trucks and shopping cart movers.
There are also motors of the right size in high-efficiency furnaces and variable speed air conditioning units.  These are still newer things, so less supply of discarded stuff, yet.
If the scrappers don't take appliances, then probably the appliance stores do instead.  This varies a lot from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.  In mine, there are recycling regulations in place.  Sometimes that means you can't get your hands on the old stuff once it's in the recycler's hands.  But that doesn't mean the appliance store doesn't take a few old ones back, to help the customer make the sale, so they have lots of discards behind the stores, here.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 08:10:16 AM »
we had a member known as "Jerry" who specialized in 4 foot mills. i find the archives frustrating to access but  it's in there somewhere. 
you could search " Jerry rigged"  a code word for independently rectified phases.

klsmurf

• "Damn it Jim, I'm a carpenter, not an electrican"
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 10:19:22 AM »
Hi,

Sounds like the boy has caught the bug!

I did a story a few years back using reclaimed wire and hard drive magnets.  The size was just under 5 feet, so something like that may work for you.

Search "ECM" motor, is another option.

For a controller, he could put together a "Ghurd controller" and use it for diversion purposes. 

Kevin
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 10:36:42 AM by klsmurf »
" A man's got to know his limitations " ------ Harry Callahan

jenkinswt

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 12:07:25 PM »
I knew I could count on you folks for some great information and links. I'm finding alot now thanks! Yes he has indeed caught the bug, now I just need to scrounge and try to help him out. I do think the ghurd controller would be the best bet.

I will try to find that information kismurf on salvaged wire, he had asked me about that but I wasn't aware of anyone actually doing it.

Electrondady1, thanks I hadn't come across those from Jerry until I used that for a search, I'm especially interested in a 4' mill of his I found.

Spar, I was browsing Hugh 's site as you sent those links! He has a wealth of knowledge also.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 06:08:29 PM »
Saw blade turbine! Forgot about those. Perfect for an experiment for kids. 10 inch skilsaw blade with ferrite magnets(cheaper!). Would be a good match for the power output you want to.

jenkinswt

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 11:20:22 AM »
That's something I will definitely keep in mind as I usually have some around. Seems like they are pretty balanced, etc. also

finnsawyer

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 11:37:04 PM »
      Many years ago I came up with a six magnet alternator design.  You might check it out.  Its in my diaries, if you can find them.  Here's an idea. Design your own blades.  Draw a large circle on a sheet of paper.  Toward the top draw a horizontal line (chord) across the circle.  The area above the chord gives the cross section of the blade, say at the root.  Draw a series of parallel lines above  the original line to define other stations along the blade.  Being a unique blade design it will give him a sense that this truly is his. 8)

Adriaan Kragten

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2017, 03:52:05 PM »
On my webside: www.kdwindturbines.nl you find manuals and reports including drawings of seven small wind turbines which can be copied for free. At the menu VIRYA-folders, there is a separate folder about these wind turbines. The manuals of four of the seven designs can be found at the bottom of the list with KD-reports. The most simple designs are the VIRYA-0.98 or the VIRYA-1.04 which makes use of a NEXUS hub dynamo which turns at a higher speed than in the bike for 12 V battery charging. The VIRYA-1 and the VIRYA-1.25AF use an 8-pole axial flux PM-generator which is made from the front wheel hub of a mountain bike.