Remote Living > Heating

Water heater economy

<< < (2/4) > >>

dnix71:
Disneyland and American Airlines have had issues with Legionaries disease recently. It's a lot more common than people realize.
http://www.newsweek.com/disneyland-shuts-cooling-towers-legionnaires-disease-outbreak-708915

george65:

Not worried about legionnaire's or scalding. ....

What I am asking is it more economical to have the heater set to where it is now, maybe 60C or turn it up high as it will go which I think is 80?
 Way I see it is I'll use more water from the tank when I dilute it less with cold water and the heater has a greater volume to heat back up.

If I turn it up, the element will have to heat less water but to a higher  temp.
Is there a difference in ELECTRICAL consumption or other trade offs that make the lower ( Still bacteria safe ) temp  a lower energy consumption proposition or is having the temp set higher going to use less power over all?

dnix71:
That's an easy thermodynamic question. The hotter the water the greater the difference between the water and the environment. That means greater wasted heat, as losses from the tank back into the environment, unless you increase the insulation on the tank. If you are not running out of hot water at a lower temp and don't have a better use for the electricity, then you don't need to go higher. If you are running out of hot water, then go higher, add insulation and dilute as needed.

The most efficient method is to have a point of use heater (spot heater) near the point of use. But you can't time-shift electrical use with that. Your current setup allows you to heat water during peak production and "bank it" for later use.

Bruce S:
Here's what I do.
I turned the hot water temp to what the "normal setting was. Then turned it down until someone complained about it being too cool. I turned it back up til the complaining stopped. I've done this at each house, through different water tanks and 6 people in the house at one time.
We've not yet been sick from the water and I don't have to worry about mixing with cold water.

Hope this helps
Bruce S

ontfarmer:
Several ideas here all good.  My son told me one time that he wished he had of put in a larger hot water heater.   When he wants to take a shower after the family have the water is cold.  I told him he should of put in two small ones.  When the first one turns cold they would wake up and get out then he could turn the tap for the second tank and have his shower.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version