Author Topic: PV questions for Mary  (Read 2126 times)

petect

PV questions for Mary
« on: November 12, 2017, 09:06:29 AM »
Hi Mary  I followed your PV build closely and hope you don't mind a few questions. I'm planning on getting a ground mount system up this spring but will try to buy the panels shortly as it seems like prices might be going up due to possible increased tariffs.

As I recall your frame is pt lumber, Has that held up – any warping?

Did you add panels, if so were they all the same, if not any problems with mismatch?

I think you used 2 inverters ( I like that idea incase 1 goes down) . Did you run them into the same loads /battery banks, or do you have 2 separate loads?

I'm planning on about 3K in 24 v panels – stand alone. I'll stay tied to the grid with proper/ code approved circuit separation, for large loads,  and long cloudy periods.  Batteries will hopefully go in not too long after the panels. And no, I don't expect a very efficient system or to see a payback, it's just something I've gotta do.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Pete

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
Re: PV questions for Mary
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 07:12:39 PM »
Wood frame is doing well but I added steel plates at all joiny=ts for extra strength.

I was able to get 4 more of the exact same panel so they are matched.

Each inverter sits on a common battery bank and then feeds separate loads, one feeds kitchen fridge and freezer(2 chest freezers with one as a fridge) the other feeds the meat chest freezer and my desk computer equipment.

If I did it again I would use a larger inverter, 1kw is borderline to start the freezer if the fridge is also running.

petect

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 09:17:36 AM »
Hi Mary

"If I did it again I would use a larger inverter, 1kw is borderline to start the freezer if the fridge is also running."    That is good to know!  Other than the 1K inverter being a bit light for your fridge/ freezer, how are the inverters and controllers holding up? \Are 2 mppt-45's adequate?
Thanks again
Pete

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 05:18:58 PM »
Yes 2 MPPT 45's are plenty, I have never had one go in protect mode, using the relay controller they sell makes for a seamless install to switch inverters off as battery voltage drops. at 60% the fridge/small kitchen freezer drop back on grid, at 50% the big meat freezer and my computer drop back on grid(I run a UPS to filter that swap, there is a 30 second delay. On the fridge and freezer I don't worry, the delay lets the compressors bleed down plus the temp controller has a 3 minute power bump delay to keep from stressing the compressor).

To keep an eye on things I use a Lacrosse WS-09 fridge/freezer alarm/temperature readout. with 4 sensors I monitor the meat freezer, veggie freezer, keg fridge, and my pantry temps(I use my pantry as a fermentation chamber this time of year, temps drop below 60 I need to crack the door open and heat that room a bit).

petect

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 06:07:57 PM »
Mary
Thanks again. You have been VERY HELPFUL!