Remote Living > Water

Solar Powered Pond Aerator

<< < (3/4) > >>

george65:

--- Quote from: Bruce S on November 27, 2017, 11:19:31 AM ---george65
How big of a pond are you needing to aerate?
--- End quote ---

I don't have anything to aerate. Just saying what I had done for oil drying and what I had seen elsewhere.

--- Quote from: OperaHouse on November 27, 2017, 11:44:08 AM --- Who knew nature needed life support.

--- End quote ---

It actually doesn't.
The reason they aerate the ponds and lakes at golf courses and at some nearby housing estates is to keep the water from going stagnant.  Basically keeps the water looking and smelling better. Nature will not care that much if the water is aerated or not, it's the humans that have the hang up. :0)
Mosquitoes would be far happier with still, stagnant water and so would a lot of other plants and insects.

I put a bucket of water out the other day I want to go stagnant to get the mosquito lava/ wrigglers to lay in it.
My gold fish love some live, fresh food but I may have to put some coarse screen over the top to keep the frogs from cleaning them all up!

Mary B:
Actually in MN shallow lakes do need mans help to prevent winter fish kill if the ice gets to thick. Several local lakes run aerators to keep a patch ice free so o2 can get in the water.

Bruce S:

--- Quote from: george65 on November 27, 2017, 08:52:19 PM ---
--- Quote from: Bruce S on November 27, 2017, 11:19:31 AM ---george65
How big of a pond are you needing to aerate?
--- End quote ---

I don't have anything to aerate. Just saying what I had done for oil drying and what I had seen elsewhere.

--- End quote ---

MY BAD, I transposed you with OperaHouse who originally posted the aerator questions

george65:

--- Quote from: Bruce S on November 28, 2017, 10:45:18 AM ---
MY BAD, I transposed you with OperaHouse who originally posted the aerator questions

--- End quote ---

You probably owe him an apology.
I bet he's insulted at you confusing him for me. 
I think I would be!  :-[

;D

Never know, Mrs and I have been talking about putting a pond in the back yard. I'd dig it myself with the backhoe on the tractor so it was substantial  and just put a liner in.
Having 2nd thoughts though as to it attracting Snakes and other things looking for water. It's pretty dry round here and we have already had a BIG Goanna on the front doorstep last week who was obviously attracted by the garden irrigation. Really don't want any more reptiles, foxes or anything other than birds coming in the place.  The local snakes are the number 2 and 6th most deadly in the world so best not to do anything to make them want to visit.

There is a spot in the back yard that has a " feature" garden atm we both think is a waste of time and eyesore so are thinking of what to do with it. was thinking of a fire pit and surrounds but that would be a very limited use. other option is put in a spa or lap pool. I don't like either of those options because I think the location is wrong.  The pond and making the area " tropical " looking with suitable palms and setout is the favored if unsure option.

Personally, I'd prefer to use the space for another Veggie garden but I know that's just not going to fly with the chief of operations.

Bruce S:
I'll type up a formal apology to Operahouse  ;D. I don't want to get cut off from his most informative help with all things Arduino.

Ponds:
We had a nice smallish pond when we lived in Southeastern Michigan, it was a backhoe type pond. 2-3M deep around the edges and 1/2 M in the middle. Had no problems with 2nd or 6th deadliest snakes, but did have snakes around it that would make your day go from bad to worse (who knew they had rattlers up there!)
The beaver and birds were more a problem, that and the sun perch that had teeth; made a cool dip a whole new experience.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version