Remote Living > Transportation

Chevy Volt (plug-in hybrid), + solar, + garage stationary batteries

<< < (13/13)

george65:

--- Quote from: Mary B on December 25, 2017, 03:31:56 AM ---Super caps are going to eventually replace batteries... They are already competitive energy density wise with lithium batteries... just need the price to drop.

--- End quote ---

I'm not sure in the non exotic, mega buck , everyday caps the do have the same energy density as a lithium battery at all. The caps I have seen and can buy now are all much larger and many times more expensive than off the shelf Li batteries.  There -may - be a weight advantage and there certainly would be a charging time advantage with caps as well as a far greater ability to dump max power outputs.

I just did a price comparison with super caps to batteries for a project I had in mind.
The price of the supercaps would have to drop a LONG way for them to be viable.

I don't know the composition of supercaps or the raw materials that go into them but if there is anything like lithium that is known to be in short supply to start with then they are lame duck from the outset.   If the materials are common and plentiful enough for these thing to be made by the Billion and without "side effects" in production, safety, construction and disposal, they may be OK..... in another 10, 15....?? Years.

MattM:

--- Quote from: Mary B on December 25, 2017, 03:31:56 AM ---Super caps are going to eventually replace batteries... They are already competitive energy density wise with lithium batteries... just need the price to drop.
--- End quote ---

I'm thinking industrial level capacitance would be an efficient way to deliver a significant surge of power in a period of temporary demand until more production can scale up.  Since increasing production is slow, it would be ideal to have some sort of capacitance available for quick distribution.  From point to point the size could substantially vary.  The origin of power would ultimately need to be able to over produce for a short time before scaling down output.  Flywheels at the substation level would be good for balancing out small changes in output.  But for sudden changes I think you would need a reserve to draw from on a much larger scale between the origin and ultimately to hubs along extreme high voltage power line exit points.  Industrial level capacitance could provide that surge and utility companies are the only entities that could afford such expenses.  Obviously they wouldn't do it without taxpayer subsidies.

joestue:
flywheels?

how much Christmas cheer did you drink last night?

;D

superconducting magnetic energy storage is probably the only serious option.. besides hydro, or this one: https://newatlas.com/mit-offshore-wind-concrete-sphere-energy-storage/27357/

MattM:
Absolutely none.  I woke up from a sore back.  Holiday is anything but relaxing around Christmas and sometimes it's difficult to make four hours through the night, let alone eight.

But why flywheel technology, Huh?  Because it's simple.  If you avoid exotic material it is cheap out of its simplicity.  And as a dampener, it can facilitate the removal of current spikes in either direction.  And it doesn't involve much in the way of chemistry.  We don't need trillion dollars platinum plated solutions for everything in life.

JW:
This has been a very interesting topic and fun to read, but its time to put it to bed :)

So im going to lock it...

Merry Christmas yall   8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version