Author Topic: using a computer fan as a wind generator  (Read 2250 times)

zoran

using a computer fan as a wind generator
« on: December 17, 2017, 04:28:30 AM »
Hello, i dont have a lot of knowledge on electricity nor its production from wind generators etc. I wanna begin by creating a small wind generator from a desktop pc fan (of course if you can suggest something else im open to any suggestion). Right now i have a DC12v 0.22A fan, can i use that and if so can u guide me further?

OperaHouse

Re: using a computer fan as a wind generator
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 06:58:35 AM »
Interesting thought experiment, but I don't think it would spin enough to overcome the forward voltage of the diodes to produce any usable voltage. They have two coils in them and those wires would have to be brought out.  As these were made to be assembled cheaply it would likely be destroyed when taken apart.  Under the label will be a small snap that keeps the rotor in.  I built a small mill using a multi blade car radiator fan and  it was a dismal failure.  You need size or an extreme amount of wind.  One motor I like is the pump of a modern washing machine.  It has a strong magnet, but extreme cogging.  These have a ratchet that lets them spin a half turn before engaging the impeller.  That piece breaks but the motor is fine.

george65

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 08:14:57 AM »

Although this would be a good learning experience, I would strongly suggest reading up on electricity as much as possible so you have a basic understanding  of how things work. It could be really difficult to do something if you weren't even sure what you were seeing when you got a result or how to even know if you were.

Perhaps those experimenters kits for kids would be a good start?  They would give you some hands on knowledge and grounding through following the experiments before you tried putting together anything of your own. If you don't understand the basics of Ohms law for instance, you will have a lot of trouble getting a result from anything.

Wind, as mentioned above, can be a difficult thing to generate from. It's ok if you just want to make power for a few seconds but spinning a fan on a little DC motor using something like compressed air but if you want to go hang something out in the breeze, you better live in a very windy place.
I can't think of anything you could build that didn't have blades at least a couple of feet long that would give you any indication of power when just placed outside in normal wind.

The DC scooter type motors that are 24V and 200w+ are about the best small motors I know of. You could always drive them with a drill to make power as a proof of concept experiment.  Other ones are the little motors out of Microwave ovens that drive the turn table but they can make very high voltages that could give you a nasty bite.

I think some reading up and a kit would be your best way to start learning.
Unlike actual electronics, electrics is pretty straight forward.... most of the time.
It is well worth learning about though.

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 09:43:20 AM »
electricity is created when you move a copper coil through a magnetic field.
 you can move the magnets or you can move the coils.
most any conventional dc motor will create a voltage if you spin it .

so the variables are:
the strength of the magnetic field
the number of poles
the number of coils
the number of turns in the coils
 the speed your spin the devise.

zoran

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 05:55:11 PM »

Although this would be a good learning experience, I would strongly suggest reading up on electricity as much as possible so you have a basic understanding  of how things work.
You are absolutely right, its just that i have an issue with reading, and don't get me wrong, im not lazy, i just can't absorb info solely from reading pages of boring text. I wish there was some book that would be very explanatory with pictures and diagrams and examples bla bla bla you understand what i mean, so it would be easier for a newby to understand at least the basics. Do you have anything in mind, id surely purchase such a book!

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 06:26:59 PM »
You could try this book its the same one I got started with. then move into books about making generators. Once you know ohms law things will be easier.

Getting Started in Electronics Paperback  – February, 2003

by Forrest M. Mims III
https://www.amazon.com/Getting-Started-Electronics-Forrest-Mims/dp/0945053282

zoran

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 07:05:24 PM »
Perhaps those experimenters kits for kids would be a good start?
Do you have any in mind that i could have a look at?

The DC scooter type motors that are 24V and 200w+ are about the best small motors I know of. You could always drive them with a drill to make power as a proof of concept experiment.  Other ones are the little motors out of Microwave ovens that drive the turn table but they can make very high voltages that could give you a nasty bite.
What are those DC scooter type motors that you are referring to?

MattM

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2017, 10:30:11 PM »
I recovered three of these MY1020 electric motors out of trashed electric mopeds.  Most seem to have 11-tooth arbors for #25 chains, although one of mine used a toothed belt.

george65

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2017, 11:41:58 PM »
Perhaps those experimenters kits for kids would be a good start?
Do you have any in mind that i could have a look at? 

Geez! Trip down memory lane!
This is the very kit my father bought me as a kid! Probably paid about $10 for it then.  I'd but this one for old time sake if it wasn't so over priced.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SCIENCE-FAIR-TWO-RADIO-SHACK-TANDY-ELECTRONIC-PROJECT-KITS/222746517918?hash=item33dcba219e:g:cFAAAOSwzppaKLyB

I would suggest something like this may be helpful:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MAXITRONIX-ACTION-KIT-ELECTRONIC-EDUCATIONAL-PROJECT-KIT/222733532420?hash=item33dbf3fd04:g:EfYAAOSwWWxZAJWD

It should give you a basic understanding of circuits and power and give you a base there.
There are a range of these kits so have a surf around on fleabay and see what you like.  They range in price a lot and some are quite advanced. If you mastered some of these kits you'd be closer to expert than beginner!

What are those DC scooter type motors that you are referring to?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mini-Electric-Scooter-Motor-12V-24V-DC-100W-2700rpm-Speed-Small-Surf-BS/253270119142?hash=item3af81352e6:g:Q18AAOSwI6RZzyMl

This is a small 100W version. Enough for experimenting with. If you drove it with a drill or something you would get power out to light globes etc.  You could make a wind generator out of it but it would be a bit of construction and engineering as well as electrical work.
First thing is, any steady wind where you are?

They also get much bigger like these:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/500W-24V-Electric-Brush-Start-Motor-for-E-Bike-Scooter-Go-kart-MY1020-sa02/122854928532?hash=item1c9ab97094:g:6skAAOSw0exaEA0k

I have one driving an engine oil pump I use for collection waste Veg oil. Fastest pump I have ever seen mention of. Will do over 50L of oil a Minute. Built it for well under $100 and the thing outdoes commercial pumps worth 5 x that.  These are extremely powerful little motors with huge torque.

As mentioned above, they can be chain or belt drive and with a suitable prop and oversize pulley to speed the motor up, some worthwhile power could be extracted either as a wind or micro hydro turbine.

zoran

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 11:56:07 AM »
Thanks George, you certainly gave me something to start with  ;)

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 12:19:59 PM »
Treadmill motors .most are dc motors..lower rpm rated ones make for good gens..the 220v.motors are even better...a lot of thrift stores..have them for cheap...Pvc.blades work with these..but I would go with some simple hand carved blades...that will get you started on basic wind gens..and get some real power...should be a ton of info.in the search box top of page...?
WILD in ALASKA