Author Topic: Electric boat motor/ control suggestions  (Read 8777 times)

salty

Electric boat motor/ control suggestions
« on: September 06, 2019, 09:15:03 PM »
I have a 14 ft. slow wooden rowing hull I would like to power up. It has a shaft log in the keel so will be an inboard motor. A sealed unit would be good as it will be living close to the bilge. I've had a 2 HP gas outboard on it which will give it hull speed plus some extra wake. I'm looking for suggestions on  a kit  for this boat. I have machining and welding facilities so am able to adapt.
Presently I have a line on an electric scooter that I may be able to adapt the motor from. It has a 500W PWM 3ph  motor with 750W controller and guages  etc.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
Re: Electric boat motor/ control suggestions
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 09:31:20 PM »
I wouldn't go with the thru hull for that size boat. Perhaps an outboard like this would work better.

12217-0

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 03:44:08 PM »
Why not go with a purpose made electric boat motor. They are available! This is equivalent to a 1.2hp engine https://ecoboats.com.au/products/electric-motors/bellmarine-inboard-motors/drivemaster-cute/ or just one of the 24 volt trolling motors that have quite a bit of thrust...

OperaHouse

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 04:08:29 PM »
I have an old REO inboard engine kit. A lawnmower engine designed to mount in any old rowboat. These were popular in the bayou region.  Best thing is to elevate the motor above the waterline. I've been wanting to build a solar powered one using a linesr current booster which would travel as fast as you had sun without a battery.

salty

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 11:32:19 PM »
Thanks Mary, That is what I need But I'm more of a do it yourself person and don't think I could afford one of those units . I think I need advise on sourcing an efficient DC motor and controller that I could adapt. A requirement would be a relatively low shaft RPM and if you can avoid using a transmission you improve your efficiency.

A Reo is a gas engine isn't it?

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 06:13:56 PM »
This, use a larger sprocket on the drive shaft to step the RPM's down to what you need or use a gear reducer(expensive)...

https://www.amazon.com/TDPRO-Controller-Throttle-Electric-Tricycle/dp/B07K1BPLQF/ref=sr_1_36?keywords=Electric+Bike+Motors&qid=1567980690&s=gateway&sr=8-36

salty

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 11:43:28 PM »
I've looked at those kits and  there application is for high speed low torque. Good market exposure thou, easy to find. Now if I could find one like that that was low speed Hi torque I would be off to the races. Ideally the controller would have 2 or 3 speeds forward and one reverse. The first unit you pointed out had all the right component but looked pricey (starting at Au$ 5900). Treadmills use a low speed motor but very high DC voltages I think.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 05:55:34 PM »
Any slow motor is going to have a gear reduction or a chain/sprocket reduction system, when you do gear reduction torque rises...

MattM

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 08:26:03 PM »
Before you do anything take a look on Youtube for "J Mantzel".  The guy is a DIY dream or nightmare, depending on your POV.