Remote Living > Transportation

EV Market, 20-Year Bet

<< < (53/54) > >>

Bruce S:
There is one group of EVs I'm not seeing in the reports, but I'm kinda brain dead from this last weekend's workout.
There's a sub-group of people purchasing the tini-EVs through Alibaba & Ali-express. There's already a couple of them here in the StL area. 2 are urban only ~max speed held to ~ 50Km/hr.
Unfortunately they are still coming with SLAs in them as the cost of getting here with Li based batteries are still $$$. We don't normally get the long-term arctic temps but this year has been "different". The biggest issue they have is like Mary B stated; freezing inside the cab is a No-Go when trying to
Our charging stations are all over town, so getting to one shouldn't be an issue. Again the issue being that unless you have one of the Apps that shows where they are ya just don't know.
All of the ones I've been around to look at, are also currently underwritten by local gov so they're not even charging $ to be used.
Here at HQ we have two, luckily we got the word out so the City's EVs and local Broadcasting stations come here to charge and say hi. They're also a good source of hi-quality pre-ground coffee beans  ;D.

Cheers
Bruce S

bigrockcandymountain:
I always thought i might add a webasto diesel heater for the extreme cold.  Would that make it a hybrid?

I'm seeing prices drop significantly, to the point that they compete just fine against ICE new vehicles price wise. 

None in the "under $5k canadian dollars" range yet, so i guess i remain a spectator.  There are a few every week on the salvage sales that have been crashed.  Still tempted to buy one and do a conversion on an old chassis.  Most of them are Tesla though, and i don't think Tesla is my first choice for a parts donor.  Too much complicated computer stuff.  A nissan leaf or 2 would be better from what i can tell. 

In my opinion, the charging station thing is way overblown.  95% of charging is going to happen at home.  People can't seem to get their head wrapped around that idea. 

SparWeb:

--- Quote ---People can't seem to get their head wrapped around that idea. 
--- End quote ---
Yes, for you and me it's obvious.  For folks who live in high-rise apartments, not so obvious.
When they add the 250$ per month for their building's limited parking spots (not all have a charger receptacle) the cost of ownership goes up and up.  Park on the open street and it's 150$ but where does the extension cord go?

bigrockcandymountain:
You know, I actually hadn't considered people that live in apartments at all.  When I drive to a city, all I see is huge houses on tiny lots, with attached garages.  Country people tend to make a lot of comments on how city peole don't know anything about the way we live.

Turns out in this case, I'm being the ignorant one. 

I'm probably the most excited by the V2H and V2L capabilities.  Those are some great reasons for owning an ev, and offset some of the drawbacks like cold weather performance.

I have this dream of an F150 lightning, towing a post pounder.  Instead of a hideously noisy, smelly 9hp honda running the pounder, plus the truck idling all day, it would be electric off the truck battery. 

No more loading a generator either to run power tools.  Pumping wells, heat gun for thawing, branding calves with electric irons, welding.  All these jobs could be done off the truck batteries, without the need for a generator. 

I have made this speech to lots of naysayers about evs.  They mostly just look at me like a lunatic.  No worries, I get that a lot. 

MattM:
I'd like car makers to be practical and spend $250 on mass produced rooftop, dash, and back window ledge solar cells to make large alternators less active.  That and make hybrid technology cheap enough to be mainstream rather than a $5000 add-on to sticker price.  Going for lighter hybrid rigs can give subtle mileage boosts without breaking the bank.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version