Remote Living > Transportation

EV Market, 20-Year Bet

<< < (2/54) > >>

SparWeb:
Good question.
When writing my first outline, I decided not to dig into that - it was getting pretty long already.
I'm thinking of all personal transportation and commercial transportation by road.
Some of my stats come from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_motor_vehicle_production
using a definition of motor vehicle as:

--- Quote ---passenger cars, light commercial vehicles, minibuses, trucks, buses and coaches.
--- End quote ---
which comes from this source: http://www.oica.net/category/production-statistics/2016-statistics/

This definition stays out of heavy trucking and that suits my needs because most of the mass of the vehicle is in the goods being transported.
This matters a lot because applications of electric traction are best in vehicles that don't carry much cargo, travel very far, or need high speeds.
Heavy trucks all do exactly the opposite.  I don't pretend to know how trucking will change in 20 years.  So it has nothing to do with the bet.

Bruce S:
SparWeb;
Understood, I try to keep responses from getting too deep.

My reasons for asking about the wheeled part is multi-fold. Having had great luck in traveling in my past life, I've had the chances to see a great number of 2 & 3-wheeled vehicles.
I know and understand mass-transist usually means 4-wheeled , but even here in the middle of the USA, we're seeing more and more 2 & 3-wheeled vehicles.
As many may know from my very early posts about our daughter's e-bike (48Vdc 550watter) , this is still a very nice e-bike and our city considers it an urban vehicle allowed on all roads except highways. Plus there's the 3-wheeled EVs that I'm seeing across a lot of the states I still visit.
There's even an annual event where the EV trikes trek across IOWA.

Cheers
Bruce S

paara:

--- Quote from: SparWeb on December 29, 2017, 11:52:38 AM ---.....

Hello Paara,
Sounds great in Norway, and the other news coming from Europe is pretty positive, too.
Which vehicles have been the most popular?

--- End quote ---
5 most popular EV:
1 Nissan LEAF
2 Volkswagen e-Golf
3 Tesla Model S
4 BMW i3
5 Kia Soul Electric

jlsoaz:

--- Quote from: paara on December 29, 2017, 04:41:43 PM --- 5 most popular EV:
1 Nissan LEAF
2 Volkswagen e-Golf
3 Tesla Model S
4 BMW i3
5 Kia Soul Electric

--- End quote ---

Hi - are any PHEVs selling well in Norway or is it all BEVs?  How about the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV?

SparWeb:
Bruce,
Indeed they are growing in popularity.  I see many trikes on the road these days - but I also know that most of them are not EV's but gasoline powered... and only in the summer (this is Canada).

Paara,
That's the same crop as I've evaluated here in Canada.  This reflects the "worldwide production" definition that I was referring to above - auto production that has an effect on the world production of EV's.  So, am I correct that you have never seen nor heard of a Chevrolet Bolt or Volt?  I have noticed that the "Big 3" auto makers from the United States have not made a big impact on Europe's auto market.  Only Ford has made a serious effort to sell in Europe, while the ownership of Chrysler by Daimler does not mean there are ever going to be Chryslers for sale in Europe.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version