Author Topic: EV Market, 20-Year Bet  (Read 40098 times)

jlsoaz

Re: EV Market, 20-Year Bet
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2020, 09:49:06 AM »
Great pictures!  The captions help make it, thanks for posting everything.

(Attachment Link)
Kids using a wooden push bicycle to transport wood down to town that they harvested to sell on the road north of Banaue, mountain province, Philippines 2009.  (It is a sophisticated device made all from wood - including the wheels - with a few bolts that efficiently converts gravitational potential energy into kinetic energy in a semi-controlled manner.)

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2020, 01:29:23 PM »
Thanks for the pictures Rich
(I hope they have all appeared as you intended, on 2nd try)

This illustrates my previous point, I think.  These are the parts of the world where development can happen, and the growth potential is enormous.  The USA and the western world in the 20th century has had a hand in promoting its development (globalization of trade and industry) and suppressing it (geopolitical manipulation).  I'm not trying to condone or condemn any of it, just stating that it's happened and will continue.  Now that the USA has backed down significantly from both postures, and China has stepped in to take its place (eg. Belt and Roads policy, and again, not condoning or condemning either). This appears to be the catalyst to a self-sustaining change in world patterns of economic development.  I figure it will lead (among many other things) to more development in countries within China's sphere (like the Phillipines we see above).  The infrastructure that will develop will follow patterns different to the one we take for granted in North America, and electric development, necessary as it is for a thousand other things, can include electric vehicles just as easily as sweatshop lighting or waste-water treatment plants (let's hope for more of the latter).
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2020, 02:56:23 PM »
An all electric car will never sell in poorer places, esp. if these still exist.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citro%C3%ABn_2CV I mow the lawn with a single cylinder machine that has 16 HP.
The original Citreon had only 9 HP.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/top-gear-series-25/everything-you-need-know-about-citroen-2cv

clockmanFRA

• Renewable Energy creation
« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2020, 02:46:23 AM »
Yea, dnix71,

Still see a few of those here in France.

Most are now collectors items, and need a fair bit of work to keep them going under the EEC 2 yearly control technique safety certificate regime and emissions pollution regulations.

I have a 16HP US Roper mower built in 1976, no rust as its made of serious plate and girders. Its been running for 44 years.

Replaced most bearings. The engine is a good old Briggs & Stratton horizontal opposed twin side valve, uses about 2 gallons of fuel for 5 hours of running/working. Very economical !

The fuel pump has been playing up so had to rebuild the carb and the pump. Wow! can still get the service kits, from US to France in 4 days.

What I am saying is ….. keep a machine simple and make it robust!  and this Roper is one of them.

For an old b.gger like me the Utube vids are brill as a guy said to reassemble the fuel pump upside down, or the return valve springs go walk about. Utube has its good points.

The fuel pump spring just corroded away.

The carb apart.

The carb service kit for under $20, postage cost me $20. Neat.

A good bit of quality US made mower back to work.

Everything is possible, just give me time.

OzInverter man. Normandy France.
http://www.bryanhorology.com/renewable-energy-creation.php

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2020, 09:33:10 AM »
I have a briggs and stratton generator that is maybe a bit older than your mower.  I ran it out of oil one christmas eve and it broke the connecting rod.  I had another one in the pile, so i stole the piston and rod out of it and scrubbed the melted bearing off the crankshaft with fine sandpaper.  So at -20c it got a very crappy overhaul. 

It has been working perfectly ever since.  Count me in for loving the old american made stuff.  It was built to last and to be fixed.  I get more disgusted with cheap, made in china crap every day.  And the new made in the usa stuff isn't much better.  I have a fleet of farming tractors and not one is younger than I am.  And I am an '89.

If they could build a new mechanical diesel with a straight gear transmission, i would be the first in line to buy one. 

I checked and it isnt even possible to buy a new truck in north america with a manual transmission.  They push efficiency, and yet a manual will always be more efficient and they are not making them any more. 

Circling back to the EV bet, you can probably tell by now that I am very out of touch with modern mainstream society.  I have no idea what causes people to buy a new car for $30 000 when you can buy a good used one for $3000.

Put me on the list for yes, EV's will be popular in 20 years.  I hope they are, because i would love to get my hands on some wrecked ones and old ones and play with the parts!

MattM

« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2020, 01:43:08 PM »
Most 'made in the USA' labels are misleading.  When Congress allowed assembly to equate to 'made' everyone knew why.  Cheap crap pawned off as the real deal.

jlsoaz

« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2020, 07:54:12 PM »
Another factor to consider related to this bet is here:

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/countries-that-will-ban-gasoline-cars.html
Countries That Will Ban Gasoline Cars

I think of this somewhat similar to the bans on incandescent bulbs.  It took a long time to reach a point where the technology was ready, but then when it was, the bans were ok - a bit of resistance and sentimental hanging on to the old tech, but then you didn't hear that much more.  I"m not really sure of the status of the incandescent bulb bans, but it seems like more efficient bulbs have taken over the brunt of the market, as far as I know.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2020, 08:52:53 PM »
...because i would love to get my hands on some wrecked ones and old ones and play with the parts!

That's the spirit!
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2020, 03:39:53 PM »
jlsoaz The ban on incadescents in the US was repealed by Trump. There is a place and will be a place for incadescents. I prefer LED. Any type of flourscent is a disposal problem (glass, phosphors and mercury.) Plus some flourescents have a filament on one end (like incadecsents) as an exiter to get the tube gas conductiong. It all comes down to appearance and cost.

LED's didn't become popular until the color was easily chosen. The slightly yellowish color that mimics sunlight, fire and incadescents is popular. High frequency drivers that eliminate unseen flicker also matter.

Banning petrol cars world wide isn't going to happen, except in countries that are small and willing to give up national security. Wars are won and lost based on being able to quickly move stuff. Encouraging Americans to own guns and cars insures that any foreign invader will have to take on every single one of us. It raises the defender's advantage. That's why we have a nuclear navy that moves petrol powered aircraft, tanks and transports. We have an Interstate Highway system because Ike realized we could not move enough by rail alone to win another world war.

In the US, we used to restrict ownership and parking of trucks and SUV like vehicles to people that ran businesses. The vehicle was licensed to the business and parked there at night. There are still commercial class vehicles, but many small business owners use SUV's to operate delivery, home repair and painting businesses and have removable magnetic signs on them so they can be parked at home at night.

In big, overcrowded cities like NY, bicycles serve courier's needs. Direct pedal to wheel without brakes, so they don't have to be locked, If you don't know that bike you can't operate it.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2020, 11:31:18 PM »
"Banning petrol cars world wide isn't going to happen"

I also believe that will be a uniquely European thing.  For developing countries, the smog problem will maintain some pressure to regulate fuel vehicles, and as the pressure grows, some governments will start to subsidize electric vehicle use.  That's tricky when the electricity is generated by burning coal because as we all know, it just transfers the problem.

I can't follow your logic with the guns, roads, and invasions.  It reminds me of a funny movie from the '70's called "The Russians are Coming!"  The USA is uncharacteristically safe from external invasion.  Your geography nearly guarantees that.  Any beach landing would be met with a staggering opposition, and you know it.  If you believe otherwise, that's some funny propaganda you've been reading.  In a world with long-range aircraft, missiles, and chemicals, there are many ways for many countries to attack each other at a distance, but very few ways to effectively invade any part of North America and maintain a credible beachhead.  Even if something crazy like that came to pass, the worst place for your volunteer militias would be in the way of the professional soldiers maneuvering to contain and counter-attack.

Unless your prez puts a ban on coffee shipments across the border, in which case millions of cranky Canadians wielding doughnuts and empty coffee cups will storm south and take control of Buffalo.
www.sparweb.ca

glort

« Reply #76 on: June 03, 2020, 09:28:34 AM »
Unlike the predictions bing made when this thread was started and are still being made, batteries are not falling dramatically in price and neither are EV's.  Many of the EV's predicted to come out this year have not and I would further bet many won't.

And to clarify the question, NO, an Ev is not a Hybrid. You can't have an each way bet and champion the cause of EV's when they still have an IC motor. That's a cop out and not one that's going to be accepted. The EV crowd want to go with the no emissions and all that, stick to it. You can't call something with an IC motor an EV because it will still use Fossil fuel, need oil changes and all that  which the EV lovers carry on about is such an advantage of EV's.  Pick a side and stick to it.

With the way the world has been affected by the [ covid-19 ] with economies destroyed and national debt skyrocketed and millions unemployed, I cannot for the life of me see people in sufficient number going out to buy new cars that are in so many cases Double the price of their EV equivalents. In recent times the Biggest buyers of EV's here have been virtue signalling companies and gubbermint departments.  The uptake in the private sector has been nothing like it was hyped up to be. Predictably.

Last year the local council announced the purchase of a number of all electric Garbage trucks.  That has quietly been dropped now when it was found that there were problems with them ( lack of range) as well as a cost the council could not justify and I suspect this was in part due to the [ covid-19 ] downturn in revenue.  My inside info tells me a decision on what they are going to go with has not been made but if it's not electric it has to be the good old reliable Diesels.

I was looking at this again just the other week.  While it is possible on a limited amount of vehicles to do my regular 400KM trip to my fathers place in an EV, it's not possible to do it with a trailer as I often do in the one 4 hour stint as is always done.  Usually I have dinner with him and leave at about 7 or 8 Pm and am home  before mid night.

With the majority of EV's here, all but a couple far as I know, it's not possible to do this. The ones that can do it are over $120K here.
I can get in any Sub $20K car and do that no problem.

If I want to take a trailer, I'm in for a day trip well and truly not an evening one.  The only chargers on the way are relatively low powered so I would be in for a 2, more likely 3 hour wait just for a top up to make it all the way.  Many of the charge points on the EV charging websites are normal 2.4 Kw outlets like in any household and they can easily be a 12 Hr Full recharge.

The problem with using EV's as runaround/ Commuter vehicles here is still the price. I believe the starting option is around $35K.
Don't know about other places but not many people here pay that for a grocery getter. The work/ second car is usually the old car or a used one, not a new one worth 35K.  Maybe Aussies just aren't as well off as others.

That being the case, it's hard to make the argument for a lot of people as using them as city cars especially when city cars are the most likely to get hammered in car parks etc which is another reason the lesser car in the household is used and the " good" one kept at home and for holidays.

And a gain, as a consequence of the [ covid-19 ], with OS holidays being predicted to be unavailable till at least Christmas and the opportunity being taken for holidays at home to revive the suffering tourist industry, a lot of people are going to be looking for range to meet their all round needs.  Just registering and insuring a car here to sit around is VERY expensive and not in the financial ability of the main stream household.

One of our motoring organisations took a Tesla some months ago on a test towing a caravan.  Upshot was they got 160 KM here and the thing was down to 20% charge. As they were going inland, chargers were far and few apart and mostly 3 phase outlets in Hotels or local show grounds.  Even this very environmental biased organisation  conceded that it was not practical to use an EV for a caravan holiday and complained they couldn't see things changing for some time to come.  Up and down the main highway between the capital cities all on the coastline for half the country, maybe  but for the rest..... unlikely in the distant foreseeable future.  Even where there are Chargers, I think many of the gray nomads are going to be VERY reluctant to stop every 90 Min for an hour to get anywhere. Going 2 houts and stopping no more than 30 Min will be the absolute limit.
I can't see much more range being built into anything remotely affordable to the mainstream that what is in a Tesla already AND.... If you do put a bigger battery in to get more range you have a longer charge up time which evens the actual distance travelled per our out. There will always be a limit of how much power you can belt into a battery in how short a time as well.

I had an interesting conversation with an energy company manager 2 weeks ago at my fathers place. I commented about how all the solar input had actually turned peak demand from the power companies to night and that from their perspective, off peak was day.  He said yes and they were looking to revise their rates to reflect exactly that. He said with all the rooftop solar and that from solar farms, the demand on the grid was less as was the demand on the coal and gas power plants. He said they were going to make daytime the cheap time for power and Night time would be more expensive. This is already in the works.

I noted that this would undermine the whole EV position of drive the car to work during the day and charge cheaply at night.
He agreed that the gird was no where near up to the demands of the predicted EV uptake although did not believe the EV predicted  numbers either.
He pointed out that the power co were now looking at taking more people offgrid themselves. He said as well as remote properties ( classed as more than 6 Telegraph pole spans from existing lines) being cheaper to put on a solar / battery system with a monthly fee to the power co ( hate to think what that would be!) they were also looking at the same thing for homes in the new estates that were popping up all over the country areas where power had to be brought in from afar,

This again would not bode well for EV uptake. I know where some of the places he was talking about are and they are at least 25 Km from the main town. That means any travailing is going to be a lot further than in the city and having to supply your home and vehicle from solar would be a hell of an ask. The other thing is as I was talking to my father about today, the area has so far had 2 straight weeks of overcast weather.  I didn't ask if the power co system included a generator for backup but I'd guess it would probably not.

The reality is I just can't see how the EV fleet is going to work here.  Between the price, the shortage of power already that is making the headlines, limited range and application, the touted benefits are more theory than practicality. In countries that are all Hydro or Geopower and average travel distances might be shorter and the population far more dense, yes. Over all though, they are not going to make EV's a majority of vehicles other than just in some small parts of the world.

Add in the world wide economic downturn predicted and right now my bet of EV's being a SMALL minority of the vehicle fleet over all in 50 years let alone 20 is looking pretty good.

I also have another bet that Tesla will be no more ( as in not what it is now) that still has 3 years to run. Happy to put more money on that too. They might exist in name as a tech company, they may be bought up by a major ( doubt it!) but I'm still very confident they wont be  what they are and certainly not with musk as the ring master.  The share price is pretty good over all atm so the tesla believers should take the opportunity to cash in on their faith and belief in them with me now. 

Funny, so far I haven't been able to get one single person to take me up on this bet despite how many tell me I'm wrong, an idiot or whatever. Lots of talkers, no one prepared to back it up.

There are 2 More problems I see with the EV uptake.

As recently well demonstrated, The price of oil is largely inflated and not at all related to manufacturing cost but  based on a " What the market will stand" Pricing structure. Should EV sales ramp up to any significant levels, the oil companies whom will want to keep profits up will simply lower the price of FF so as to make the  savings of an EV less and the choice to stick with an IC vehicle much easier.
For a good deal of the market, particularly in the US were so many seem to want to haul loads with them everywhere they go,  the problem of towing range that is non existent with IC cars again will make the choice of an EV even if greatly improved that much harder and the fuelling price narrowed.

Our main motoring organisation whom is always trying to talk up EVs has put their money into charging stations. They are already saying they are free now but will not be in the future.  Clearly there is going to be profit to be made in EV recharging and those that think it's going to be cheap forever and these Big Biz companies are going to leave money on the table I think are kidding themselves or very naieve.

And the main hurdle I see with the EV uptake is Technology. 20  ( or 18) years is a LOOONG time in progress. I think it entirely possible that something else comes along  that will stop EVs and the related problems and change over from ever becoming anywhere near the dominant  Motivation.  I don't think it will be Hydrogen because in the big picture that's is an efficiency and handling night mare as well as having  range problems, but I think there is every likelihood something else will come along that is better than electric.  Better may be just more profitable for big biz and gubbermints but that's enough for something to become the dominant mode of transport.

Blow the time line out to 50 years and it's even more likely that we will be Teleporting things and people around and vehicles as we know them won't even be made. There would be endless upsides to that Tech so it's definitely in with a chance in my book.

Whatever else they come up with in the mean time could go from discovery to mainstream in 5 years.
Tech is literally moving at the speed of light these days and won't take long for anything to be quickly rendered obsolete. 

« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 03:11:20 PM by DamonHD »

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #77 on: June 03, 2020, 02:05:36 PM »
SparWeb I am almost retirement age here in the US so I have seen lots of things come and go. When the US Post Office begins buying and using EV's, then that will be enough for me to become a believer. The post office is the only entity that is required by law to deliver mail to everyone. They have that logistic down to a science. They used to buy right-hand drive jeeps from American Motors (which inherited the jeep from Willys after WW2). They still use the same style vehicle in most urban areas to make home delivery of mail effciently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Motors_Corporation
AMC experimented with a NiCad powered car in the late 1950's The batteries were made by Sonotone.
http://roger-russell.com/sonopg/sononst.htm#nicadbatteries

My mother's father owned a gasoline Studebaker in the 1960's. Studebaker was a pioneer in battery cars, but stopped production of the electrics when the speed and range advantage of gasoline automobiles became obvious.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studebaker_Electric

There was a lot of behind the scenes dirty dealing by all but Toyota over late 1990's plugin EV's. NiCad and NiMH were still considered better than any other type on the market because they did not require fancy electronics to keep balanced. GM destroyed all their EV1's when the leases were up. The refused to sell any, new or used.
http://www.ev1.org/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_RAV4_EV some of the original Rav4's are still on the road in California in spite of replacement battery packs not being available.

Toyota still uses nickel metal hydride batteries and lithium ion batteries, because the NiMH work better in cold climates.
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1120320_lithium-ion-vs-nickel-metal-hydride-toyota-still-likes-both-for-its-hybrids

This is part of the dirty dealing done by oil giants to stop battery powered EV's from being sold: from wikipedia:
"Chevron Patent Encumbrance
Main article: Patent encumbrance of large automotive NiMH batteries

Whether or not Toyota wanted to continue production, it was unlikely to be able to do so because the EV-95 battery was no longer available. Chevron had inherited control of the worldwide patent rights for the NiMH EV-95 battery when it merged with Texaco, which had purchased them from General Motors. Chevron's unit won a US$30,000,000 settlement from Toyota and Panasonic, and the production line for the large NiMH batteries was closed down and dismantled. This case was settled in the ICC International Court of Arbitration, and not publicized due to a gag order placed on Toyota.[19][20] Only smaller NiMH batteries, incapable of powering an electric vehicle or plugging in, were allowed by Chevron-Texaco.[21] "

Elon Musk avoided patents and royalties by using a standard size cylindrical cell (the 18650) and making packs from them. He also makes his own cells to maintain quality control.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #78 on: June 03, 2020, 03:22:47 PM »
Elon Musk avoided patents and royalties by using a standard size cylindrical cell (the 18650) and making packs from them. He also makes his own cells to maintain quality control.

What he has done with the Dragon space capsule is most impressive, saw the launch last week (before my cable was shut off do to non payment, things are getting better, business now better so I will be able to restore it)

JW

jlsoaz

« Reply #79 on: June 03, 2020, 11:10:59 PM »
jlsoaz The ban on incadescents in the US was repealed by Trump.

Thanks, I had lost track of that.  When I went to look for a global s curve information on LED penetration a few months back I couldn't find one that was clear, so what's kind of interesting is that the issue itself just subsided as a point of conversation, after the years of prep.  Although the US is influential, I doubt a Trump ban on anything has much more than minor importance in the short term, if the next person in office and most legislators are reasonably competent.

LED's didn't become popular until the color was easily chosen. The slightly yellowish color that mimics sunlight, fire and incadescents is popular. High frequency drivers that eliminate unseen flicker also matter.

I didn't know this point about the drivers, thanks for that.  I went through a lot of expensive LEDs for general lighting when they first came out, as I wanted to make sure to have at least some experience with them.  They got to be ok.

[...]
In the US, we used to restrict ownership and parking of trucks and SUV like vehicles to people that ran businesses. The vehicle was licensed to the business and parked there at night. There are still commercial class vehicles, but many small business owners use SUV's to operate delivery, home repair and painting businesses and have removable magnetic signs on them so they can be parked at home at night.

I know about the chicken tax and its obvious impact on the US markets, but I had not heard of these past points, thanks.

jlsoaz

« Reply #80 on: June 03, 2020, 11:16:45 PM »
SparWeb I am almost retirement age here in the US so I have seen lots of things come and go. When the US Post Office begins buying and using EV's, then that will be enough for me to become a believer. [....]

The competition to get the contract to make the next USPS delivery vehicle in theory is just about due, but I'm not sure what's going to happen.  My own view is that it's a bit high stakes.... perhaps a bit too all-or-nothing.  Also, there are several foreign companies "competing" but I'm having a hard time believing that teams which involve foreign companies would be allowed to win, or at least it would be an issue, and depending on the country.  As to powertrain, if I recall, out of 4 or 5 remaining teams, there was an interesting assortment of powertrains, and one or two that were either PHEV or BEV.

This is part of the dirty dealing done by oil giants to stop battery powered EV's from being sold: from wikipedia:
"Chevron Patent Encumbrance
Main article: Patent encumbrance of large automotive NiMH batteries

Whether or not Toyota wanted to continue production, it was unlikely to be able to do so because the EV-95 battery was no longer available. Chevron had inherited control of the worldwide patent rights for the NiMH EV-95 battery when it merged with Texaco, which had purchased them from General Motors. Chevron's unit won a US$30,000,000 settlement from Toyota and Panasonic, and the production line for the large NiMH batteries was closed down and dismantled. This case was settled in the ICC International Court of Arbitration, and not publicized due to a gag order placed on Toyota.[19][20] Only smaller NiMH batteries, incapable of powering an electric vehicle or plugging in, were allowed by Chevron-Texaco.[21] "

[...]

In another lifetime, I was one of the California EV troublemakers who helped dig up information for that and similar summaries.

southpaw

« Reply #81 on: June 04, 2020, 10:16:46 AM »
Back in the 80's I worked for a Propane company. Propane powered vehicles became popular and I converted many taxis, school busses, and quite a few private vehicles to propane. Cheaper, cleaner, longer engine life, fewer oil changes "yada yada yada". The government not wanting to lose gasoline road tax revenue tacked on a road tax to propane put in dispensers, as a result any propane bought from service station dispensers now has road tax added on even if its used in campers and motor homes for cooking, heat or hot water. The economic advantages dissapeared with the road tax addition and the "P I T A" factor outweighed the environmental advantages so no more conversions. The old saying " if it sounds too good to be true". More and more things we put in the recycle bins are redirected to land fills. The only way the majority of people do the "right thing" is by being forced to, think, motorcycle helmets, seatbelts, impaired driving, distracted driving. Maybe when we can walk across the ocean on the garbage things will change.   

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #82 on: June 04, 2020, 02:32:00 PM »
Propane is still used by a lot of farm service companies who have their own fill stations. Local farm co-op is 100% propane vehicle, even the pickup trucks used to run parts...

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #83 on: June 04, 2020, 04:40:11 PM »
Mary B and southpaw Propane is used sometimes here in south Florida, but methane/nat gas is preferred. The local waste hauler has trucks running on methane collected from the landfill in Pompano Beach. Some cities own nat gas distribution within their borders so they have converted some vehicles (police and utility) to running from nat gas.

In a hot climate like ours, propane has a fear factor attached to it. A Midas Muffler shop went kaboom from a propane leak. The only thing left standing was the flag out front. My old boss missed dying by a minute or so as he drove past the shop on the way to work each day.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-1985-09-25-8502100503-story.html

Exploding propane grills maim and kill a lot of people in the US.

https://www.southfloridainjurylawyerblawg.com/propane-tank-explosions-florida/

This guy in Orlando deserved it for lighting a cigarette inside his SUV while transporting a gas grill.

https://www.newsmax.com/TheWire/suv-explodes-florida-gas-grill/2017/08/15/id/807675/

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2020, 05:11:29 PM »

PDF WARNING

https://about.usps.com/who-we-are/postal-history/electric-vehicles.pdf

PDF WARNING

Here is a history of US Post Office attempts at using electric delivery vans.

Domino's Pizza uses EV Scooters in Queensland, but they are hardly family transports.

https://thedriven.io/2020/05/19/zero-emissions-pizza-dominos-trials-electric-delivery-vehicles-in-queensland/

MattM

« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2020, 06:15:15 PM »
You'd think cities, with sewer plants and land fills, could figure out how to be fuel independent.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #86 on: June 05, 2020, 02:33:05 PM »
You'd think cities, with sewer plants and land fills, could figure out how to be fuel independent.

Who's to say they haven't?
We have CNG buses running all over the city/county.

CNG refill stations aren't as wide spread as LPG, just yet.

A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

jlsoaz

« Reply #87 on: June 06, 2020, 09:59:03 PM »

[....]
I had an interesting conversation with an energy company manager 2 weeks ago at my fathers place. I commented about how all the solar input had actually turned peak demand from the power companies to night and that from their perspective, off peak was day.  He said yes and they were looking to revise their rates to reflect exactly that. He said with all the rooftop solar and that from solar farms, the demand on the grid was less as was the demand on the coal and gas power plants. He said they were going to make daytime the cheap time for power and Night time would be more expensive. This is already in the works.

I noted that this would undermine the whole EV position of drive the car to work during the day and charge cheaply at night.
He agreed that the gird was no where near up to the demands of the predicted EV uptake although did not believe the EV predicted  numbers either.
He pointed out that the power co were now looking at taking more people offgrid themselves. He said as well as remote properties ( classed as more than 6 Telegraph pole spans from existing lines) being cheaper to put on a solar / battery system with a monthly fee to the power co ( hate to think what that would be!) they were also looking at the same thing for homes in the new estates that were popping up all over the country areas where power had to be brought in from afar,

Hi -

In my view, you may be drawing the wrong lessons from observing how PV is popping up and how it is impacting the grid.  I don't know Australia that well, but wasn't it not that long ago that it was more skeptical of PV and, for that matter, the batteries that Musk has installed?  And is that not working out a bit better than expected?  I think it will be somewhat the same with the vehicles.

MattM

« Reply #88 on: June 14, 2020, 12:36:48 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz2jyPByaoE

China mini electric car test drive

approx. $1,200

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #89 on: June 14, 2020, 11:24:31 AM »
MattM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlNDJuAF2fY Cambodian EV trolley for tourism. Their city traffic is mostly motorbikes with multiple riders now.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #90 on: June 15, 2020, 03:18:10 PM »
Dnix,
Some things I noticed on those busses:
Lights are incandescent, not LED
Connector from panel on the roof is not sealed
Many parts of the video sped up - these things must be slow!
If this was the West, the slowness could be associated with no seatbelts
Later, they do get moving pretty fast.  Corner+bump=ouch
No license plates -> no registrations -> that isn't the West!
www.sparweb.ca

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2020, 07:29:30 PM »
SparWeb Those trolleys just came off the assembly line, so this was a sales promo/demo. They were slow, as many motorbikes passed them. But if you are hauling sightseers, then speed isn't necessarily the issue.  Golf carts in the US normally go 25mph or less and only in a few places like golf resorts in Arizona are they allowed on the streets. Seat belts aren't much use on open air trolleys.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #92 on: June 16, 2020, 09:25:38 AM »
dnix71
The cool thing about our city, is golf carts are also allowed on city streets that aren't also old Route66 byways , which is ~70% of the streets.
Used to be you could get one pretty cheap , now, can't even touch one for less than $5Gs.

We see both CNG and Propane units scurrying about the streets.
 I liked that cute Chinese electric car. I also like the price, but thinking it'd be 3x the amount here.

Cheers
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

jlsoaz

« Reply #93 on: July 18, 2020, 03:10:01 PM »
This article looks at EV adoption and misinformation in Australia.  The article did discuss a bit some of the driving customs and needs in Australia (such as for towing) and it sounds like there are some parallels with customs and needs of some US residents (weekend trips, hundreds of miles, while towing a load).  If those parallels are there, it may be worth it for some Australians to watch how the US EV pickup truck market unfolds.  At present there are four or five (or more) credible BEV pickup truck programs in the works from Ford, GM, Tesla, Rivian and others (depending on one's definition of "credible").  As far as I know, all of those BEV pickups are planned for production in the US.

side-note: In general the fossil fuel US pickup truck market has been protected for decades now from some foreign competition, and that protection as far as I know will continue for the BEV pickup truck market.  I'm not trying to make a statement in support of the protection, but I'm noting it for those who may not know about it.  The protection is a 25% tariff on pickups imported to the US.

By Joey Klender
Posted on July 17, 2020
Tesla’s Chairwoman isn’t thrilled about her home country’s adoption of EVs
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-robyn-denholm-ev-adoption-australia-issues/

« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 03:25:52 PM by jlsoaz »

jlsoaz

« Reply #94 on: August 22, 2020, 01:16:30 PM »
There has been a somewhat Australian angle to this interesting bet and discussion, so when I saw this today, I figured it might be of interest to some.  Note that I'm posting it without reading through or taking a hard look through it.

https://electricvehiclecouncil.com.au/reports/state-of-electric-vehicles-2020/
State of Electric Vehicles 2020
18 August 2020
The State of Electric Vehicles 2020 report provides a snapshot of the EV industry in Australia with analysis and data on the EV market, the OEM sector, charging infrastrucutre, mining and manufacturing, energy and environment, and government policy.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #95 on: August 23, 2020, 12:57:35 AM »
Thank you for the report link.  Some info of value even outside of Australia here.
It starts off with consumer surveys which usually turns me right off.  This time at least it illustrates the misconceptions and unrealistic expectations that coexist - probably similar here in Canada.  The rest of the report is built on industry's publicly available information and records from local governments so I can take it at face value.  Some differences between autos available in Canada and AUS, but nothing noteworthy caught my eye.  The look ahead is perhaps the most interesting to me, and most germane to the thread here.
The report notes some new investment in Australia's lithium mining and processing industry, but it doesn't create too many jobs.  There doesn't seem to be much discussion of where these autos will be made, so from the author's perspective in Australia, this will not provoke any vehicle or parts manufacturing in Australia.  That's too bad - it's something some companies in Canada are trying to get into.
www.sparweb.ca

jlsoaz

« Reply #96 on: September 09, 2020, 11:02:20 AM »
More info from a different source.

McKinsey Electric Vehicle Index: Europe cushions a global plunge in EV sales
July 17, 2020 | Article

https://www.mckinsey.com/industries/automotive-and-assembly/our-insights/mckinsey-electric-vehicle-index-europe-cushions-a-global-plunge-in-ev-sales#

jlsoaz

« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2021, 02:26:35 PM »
3 years into the 20 year bet, we are at about 4.2% of world production, per this article:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jan/19/global-sales-of-electric-cars-accelerate-fast-in-2020-despite-covid-pandemic
Global sales of electric cars accelerate fast in 2020 despite pandemic
Sales of electric cars rose by 43% while overall car sales slumped by a fifth last year
Damian Carrington Environment editor
@dpcarrington
Tue 19 Jan 2021 12.23 EST

That 4.2% figure includes PHEVs.  I assume the bet counts PHEVs as EVs since it was not clarified by those betting, but I did not take up the 20 year bet, since I agree with SparWeb.  In any event, given the bans on sale of new combustion engine vehicles we're seeing in places like California and the UK, which are supposed to come into play around 2030-2035, I personally reckon this bet is going to come out on the side of the EVs-as-serious-contender, no matter how one slices it.

So who thinks EV's are serious contenders for transportation in the future?  Who thinks they're a fad?

Here's my wager:
400 bucks says EV's will make up 20% of the world auto production in 20 years

I am willing to take up George on his bet, if we can agree on the winning criteria.  20 years is a pretty safe time frame - enough time for several car model generations to come and go, perhaps a few manufacturer names to come and go too...  If a market for EV's is going to establish itself, then in 20 years it should be reaching maturity.  If it's a flop, then in 20 years it will still just be nibbling at the margins.  So I agree that's a good time frame to judge success/failure. 

Next question: What share of the market is "major".  And which market do we mean; world, USA, Europe?  I want to bet on the world market, here.
To me, 20% of the world market in 20 years sound like success.  IMHO: A world economy that can spit out 100 million cars a year and fuel their travel all around, surely can make 20 million EV's and power them as they bumble back and forth.

Who's in for this bet?

Some long-time Fieldlines members may remember the "20/20/20" bet by VolvoFarmer, so for my wager, "20x20=400". 
The winner has to be a Fieldlines member 20 years from now, or available to be contacted in 2037 to claim their winnings.
The currency of the winnings should probably be normalized to 400 USD, however, 20 years is a long time to be assuming the US dollar will be a standard currency. 
Today, 400 USD has about the same value as 10 grams of gold, so whichever one maintains its value will be the winnings.

TLDR:

Electric Vehicles are currently experiencing exponential growth in most markets that I have read about.  This growth comes from many things:
  • pent-up demand (consumers waiting for the product and will not purchase anything else)
  • incentives (all those tax rebates)
  • basic cost (the typical EV is getting cheaper)
  • scaled cost (mass production makes EV's cheaper still)

The EV sales growth rate at 50% per year we hear about is unsustainable; that's just what the cherry-pickers use for news headlines.  In some places it happens, other places it isn't.  But a world-wide growth of 5% is not enough for EV's to fulfill anybody's promises.  For EV's to play a big role in road transportation worldwide, then they have to actually reach a major portion of vehicle sales annually.  Currently they are a small fraction of it; only about 1% of all auto sales in North America.  I couldn't give you numbers for the rest of the world, but somebody can.

If EV sales were to grow to 20% of US/Canada sales, then we would need 19% exponential growth rate in both countries.  That's pretty fast.  For comparison, Ford underwent a 50% growth rate (replacing the horse-drawn carriage with Model T's) but only sustained that growth for 15 years.  Then it crashed - everything else crashed - and then there were 2 world wars and a depression...   When the 20th century settled down, the US auto industry was already "mature" and growth was linear after that.

Growth rates are funny mathematical problems.  Linear rates of growth add up every year and can be sustained for a very long time, but an underdog that chooses this strategy will be an underdog forever.  Exponential growth is much faster and is able to change a market in just a few years - but it cannot last long before it crashes.  Usually the forces that make a growth rate exponential don't allow it to switch over to linear, making the crash inevitable.  This shows up everywhere in economics and ecology.

There's no reason to believe the exponential growth of EV sales should end soon, but by definition it will end.  Where will it level off?  Good question!
If it levels off in 20 years, then the only way for EV's to accomplish a major portion of the market is if they sustain a 20% growth in sales for the ENTIRE 20-year period without hitting the growth wall.

Again, gotta ground this in reality: world auto production is about 100 million per year https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_motor_vehicle_production
So 20% of that is 20 million EV's per year.  BUT - world auto production is growing at 3% per year.  That means in 20 years the world could be producing 180 million cars, so a 20% EV market becomes 36 million EV's per year.

Are there enough resources in the world to sustain this amount of production?  I believe so.  There's been a lot of talk of "peak material X" like "peak oil" but I don't actually believe it.  You don't have to worship capitalism to see that when one resource becomes scarce, inventiveness finds a way to do the job with another.  There is so much diversity in EV's now that the fundamental resources needed to make millions of EV's will be a buffet table of choices.  So I don't believe there will be a "crash" in EV sales driven by materials availability. 

The power to drive all these EV's around sounds like an obstacle, but it isn't.  The world already generates enormous amounts of energy.  The charging of EV's if they grow to 20% of the autos in the world will remain a fragment.  Electricity is the most efficient means of transferring energy from source to use ever invented by mankind, and the more we invest in electric technology the higher our standard of living will be overall.  More EV's implies that less fossil fuel will be burned, hence less fossil fuel mined and transported, which frees up human labour and equipment for other pursuits, such as the generation of electricity.

I have already expressed my personal opinions about the ideal source of electricity. Carefully setting aside ALL emotional responses I will simply state that the world has enough resources to power all of human civilization with certain types of energy technology that are available now, for a thousand years. The volume and volatility of the waste is also a matter that current technology can handle.

Coming back to the EV's, then, the power to charge them all is an incremental change to an existing grid that we already have.  So here, I also feel that the ability to power them will not be the cause of a sales crash either.

Having eliminated the two main obstacles to widespread EV sales, in my mind, then I can only grasp here and there to find other reasons why somehow they cannot sustain a growth rate or cannot allow the sales to level off gradually rather than crash.

A few remote possibilities that could affect EV popularity, plus or minus:
  • urbanization - most people live in cities, and the world is concentrating more and more in cities
  • urban/rural divide - city dwellers will not see limited range as an obstacle, but rural people who have long distances to drive do
  • commercial use - businesses already are seeing reduced costs using EV's as delivery vehicles, taxis, municipal services, etc.
  • automation - The EV is, in principle, slightly easier to automate than fuelled vehicles
  • size - to make a heavy-hauler run on electricity is much harder than family vehicles
  • freight carriage by road - this industry is growing rapidly, but trucking is not friendly to electric traction
  • freight carriage by rail - also growing rapidly; many trains in North America are already "hybrids" (diesel-electric) or some sort of tram
  • aviation - few believe that a practical electric aircraft can be made, even with advancement of current technology

Not much left to say.  Despite all the effort I've put into explaining my position, I feel like I'm stating the obvious, here.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #98 on: January 24, 2021, 02:25:07 AM »
jlsoaz,
Thanks for the update!

I am not having any luck finding anyone to bet against me on this one.
www.sparweb.ca