Author Topic: OzInverter, 6kW-15kW, PSW, 50HZ/60HZ. Dec 2017 Update Info.  (Read 7172 times)

clockmanFRA

• Renewable Energy creation
OzInverter, 6kW-15kW, PSW, 50HZ/60HZ. Dec 2017 Update Info.
« on: December 29, 2017, 03:14:30 PM »
OzInverter, 6kW -15kW, PSW, 50HZ/60HZ. Update Info.

‘Make your own 6kW-15kW Pure Sine Wave OzInverter,  48vdc to 240vac/120vac, 50HZ/60HZ'.

The new PCB's,  'OzControl No12', the 'OzCooling', and the 'Power Board' are now very well tested around the World.

I will post the Gerber Files, RS-274X, for the 'OzControl' and 'OzCooling' Board, and parts/components lists for all the PCB's.

I am also rewriting the OzInverter book to implement all the latest information, especially intergrating the 15 page supplement about making the PCB boards, copper masks etc.    And a mention of the 60HZ, (pin18 to +5v) and the split secondary for 120vac for North America , and if enough demand, a new OzControl board for the 60HZ..

Catch up.

Over the years I have purchased several well-known manufactured Inverters, all of which are not ideal for general normal use.

In 2014-15 with help from 'Oztules', a real nice guy, I pushed Inverter technology backwards but went forwards with the latest driving control tech.

Firstly we use a toroid core, we stack them together and wind the core to our/ Oztules empirical calculations, depending on the core cross sectional area.
 We use a decent size matched inductance on the Primary windings so that idle power use/loss comes down to about 38/40 watts for a real PSW 6kW Inverter.

The power board and the control board are designed for real harsh environments and manufactured with large tracks, large pads, to stop substrate separation and importantly all components are through hole type, so in the field repairs are relatively easy. Especially if you have insect/moisture infestation.
 We also put all component values on the boards silk screen, so its "painting by numbers", and therefore very easy to repair without dragging out paperwork to find out what goes where.

We use the 8010 SMD chip, (the only SMD component) and run at 23.4KHz modulation frequency. We have several methods of soft starting the large toroid and this is a key issue. We have also all the normal things, like overtemp shut down and auto restart, etc and can be 50Hz or 60Hz.

In the end I produced a 'How to make a OzInverter' book as a non-profit basis, that's lists and shows everything. And we now also supply the bare Power Board PCB, OzControl Board No12 PCB and the OzCooling PCB as an extra option.

I have replied to questions from the third world, and have advised folk that these OzInverters could easily be manufactured in the thousands, if you have a good Engineer and EE and a good team of assemblers.

In the future I might explain to my young teenager boys what's what, and produce a kit of parts. Manufacturing them myself for resale in this day and age and this present Western culture is a NO NO,  just far too many blasted hoops to jump through.

I say,  ………. keep it 'Simple', make it 'Robust', and importantly keep it 'Cost Effective'.
Costings. Using new components etc, about $600, scavenging cores, cases, cable etc as low as $250.
Everything is possible, just give me time.

OzInverter man. Normandy France.
http://www.bryanhorology.com/renewable-energy-creation.php

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

clockmanFRA

Re: OzInverter, 6kW-15kW, PSW, 50HZ/60HZ. Dec 2017 Update Info.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 03:20:41 PM »
The OzControl PCB No12.

* PCBOzContrlBrd12bbList.pdf (356.28 kB - downloaded 464 times.)

Its the same structure as Oztules, its just that in the very beginning I developed the PCB slightly differently.

On the Final and  latest 'OzControl PCB No12,' I have also left the 2 overtemp molex connectors as the over temp is a trusted way of starting and stopping the OzInverter safely and was used on the OzControl No8 PCB, and now one connector is used as a safe start stop for the LVD (low voltage shutdown).

The OzCooling board.

* OzCoolingMsk+Discrip1a.pdf (692.77 kB - downloaded 400 times.)

This is Oz's well tested and proved circuit.

Its now a double circuit as failure on one in the field means the other can be switched over, also I cool the torroid and the PCB's separately, as its surprising that the 2 heat up and cool down very differently.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 03:55:56 PM by clockmanFRA »

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

clockmanFRA

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 03:37:23 PM »
The OzInverter PowerBoard.

* PCBPowerBrdList2a.pdf (194.9 kB - downloaded 541 times.)

This design and layout works well, and 'oztules' has well tested them. And since they work I am reluctant to change anything.

This Power board size just sits on a sheet of A4, ie, designed so it can be laser printed for the tracks, drill, solder stop etc, with a standard A4 printer.

Its Double sided with double copper thickness both sides.

It should be remembered that these boards are not your normal electronic industry type of design and layout.   The power board takes serious amounts of Power.

These completed OzInverters would live outside in all sorts of climatic conditions and should have a good longer than normal operational life.

We wanted PCB's that were hardy, good size tracks, good size via pin holes so that substrate separation would be kept minimal, and easy to repair.

Through hole components were used as its a DIY project and folks assembly methods skills vary widely.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 04:09:24 PM by clockmanFRA »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 03:39:02 PM »
Hi Clockman I noticed you are using end of post images. There is a way to insert your pictures in the text area, this may help-

http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,146470.0.html

clockmanFRA

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 03:46:13 PM »
Its not easy posting from France as for some reason the authorities here mess me about a bit with max data sends, and the French server can just drop out, and sometimes I have to use proxy servers. Some Forums down under are barred for us and it takes some wiggling to get at them.

I see the max image size for sending is below 1.4mb.

Thanks for the help. 

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 03:58:25 PM »
Ahhh I see what your doing use [img]  tags. Recently I expanded storage for images and set it to no limit. The only restriction is frame size

clockmanFRA

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 04:05:08 PM »
Gerber files for the OzControl PCB No12 board, and the OzCooling PCB board.

The Zip file will decompress via the forum or you can do it on your PC

these two programs will open the PCB files once there un-zipped

http://www.gerber-viewer.com

https://sourceforge.net/projects/gerbv
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 12:29:20 PM by JW »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 04:22:31 PM »
Ya  the standard for images is jpeg. I see what you have there and can talk to a developer in Italy, give me a minute

clockmanFRA

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 04:24:22 PM »
Hi JW, just trying to post the 1.2mb jpeg image of the new OzInverter Block diagram, but I am struggling, all I get is a blank screen when I post. Could be this end ?

I will have another go tomorrow and finish with the block diagram.

Those Zip files seem to have posted okay?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 04:28:49 PM by clockmanFRA »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 04:30:47 PM »
The forum cant open those zip files but after I talk to Flavio we may be able to do it. Tell more about the blank screen is there a tiny image in the center. Do you have any jpeg files for your pictures.  Also if you can do a print screen and open it with MS paint those files will be easy to display.

clockmanFRA

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2017, 04:40:56 PM »
As long as the forum puts the Zip files up, and others can grab them and unzip.

Same with the PDF's.

Just tried downsizing jpeg image below 1 mg, as size used to be an issue but filedlines screen is just blank white nothing.

clockmanFRA

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2017, 04:46:47 PM »
It posted as png at 399kb size.

Definition is poor, but readable.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 04:51:34 PM by clockmanFRA »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2017, 04:56:32 PM »
Looks good now try inline attachments

Also I enabled something that may help

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2017, 05:56:22 PM »
GBL file extension
Data output file created by Printed Circuit Board (PCB) CAD tools like Altium Designer and used by PCB manufacturing machines to designate electrical connections; contains data for multiple layer boards about the layout for bottom copper layers; similar to the .GTL file extension; written in RS-274X, which is the most common and contemporary Gerber format.

This is why we cant see the files. the zip is supported and working, but the files are using an extension such as GBL which will only display if you have that software.

Ive had similar problems using Solidworks cad  what worked for me is "save file as" then others could see without having to use solidworks to open the file.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2017, 01:24:21 AM »
Making some progress

11000-0

Need a little time to figure this out.

frackers

• Picard spits "Hello"
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2017, 04:47:53 AM »
Please, please, please, can we have some schematics. I don't read PCB layouts (and I don't know an electronics designer that does) but a proper schematic I can read (and more importantly understand) like a book.
Robin Down Under (Or Are You Up Over)

clockmanFRA

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2017, 06:11:17 AM »
Hi Ya Frackers,

Good to here you, Walnuts Okay?

Schematics, um arrrr, gave them up years ago, sometime in the early 1980's. Now we have all this fantastic PCB CAD software its so easy just to create and go. And amendments/alterations are a whizz.

Like 'Oztules' I am not a schematic man. Although somewhere on the World wide RE Forums I recall some one from India doing a Schematic and 'Oztules' thanking him.

Heres a screen shot of my OzControl No12 PCB .......

Here is that schematic Frackers, thanks to 'tinyt' have just glanced at it ONLY seems okay, but its not mine so treat it very very carefully.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 06:27:56 AM by clockmanFRA »

tinyt

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2017, 05:37:57 PM »
First post. Schematic looks familiar.

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2017, 06:19:58 PM »
Frackers, be very careful with just the schematics rather than the gerbers. If you use the manufacturing gerbers or buy the boards, you will have a working perfectly out of the box inverter, if you transcribe and re-create with different layout  boards, we have seen people struggle for a year and a half to get it to work properly.

I do use schematics of sorts. I think in blocks, so scribble the block ( or part of the block with pin numbers)  I am interested in on the "table napkin", and just use the pcb program at the same time to join them all up. This is fast, and the circuit changes all the time, and the table napkins don't keep up after the first iteration..... so just laziness on my part.... but seems to work for me... and as I am not an engineer, I have not broken any sacred engineering rules, so the real engineers can sleep at night.

You have made your own transformer, so now where are you up to in the project?

.............oztules

Flinders Island Australia

frackers

• Picard spits "Hello"
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2017, 12:06:46 AM »
I'm still building the new workshop (man cave!) but been distracted by a new garden feature the missus & I decided on which with about 170sqm of turf to strip, pergolas, fencing  and 10 cum of compost to dig in is taking a few weeks.

The new shed will be getting a rocket mass heater, the stove section will be in the walnut drying/storage bay(s) and the flue will be in the floor of the workshop bay to keep my toes cosy in the winter. This means there is still no floor in the shed yet!! A few scrap yard visits have yielded some nice 150mm stainless flue pipe, an oil drum but no fire bricks yet. Just got to make up some bends to wind the flue round the floor area and then I can do a concrete pour.

The inverter works fine, I've got a spare GTI to couple a few KW of solar into the battery system whilst staying with the existing grid tie but the battery shed won't move until the new 3 bay shed is complete.

Several other projects on the go as well, the 3 phase well pump I'm changing to single phase to avoid the complication, inefficiency and unreliability of a converter - this will allow off grid irrigation plus more resilience after the next earthquake.

One of my main requirements for schematics is so I can build an STM32 based controller as a plugin replacement for the 8010. A bit like having the sheetmusic of a piece as well as the CD that you can only listen to.

Robin Down Under (Or Are You Up Over)

dr_zogg

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2018, 04:17:59 AM »
Hi there,
            I am making all my boards now and i was wondering if the gerbers for the power board were floating around? (I can't seem to find them anywhere).
Thanks for your time and effort.

Cheers,
           Sam

clockmanFRA

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2018, 02:45:31 AM »
Hi Dr Zogg,

I have not released the Gerbers for the Power Board as the board has to be made from double thickness copper and put together as per instructions its a large A4 size PCB and double sided. And its expensive. I have posted the powerboard layouts on this forum and others.

Oztules has done his own similar compressed version of the powerboard.

Over the past couple of years some folk who have electronic experience have developed the OzInverter in a different way, and come up with problems that have muddied the waters some what.
With some folk even modifying the well known present power Board with disastrous results.

The OzInverter should be seen as a whole project. And the toroid build, cooling, Control, PowerBoard, choke, filters etc must be to our specific building methods and designs. If not the OzInverter could cause issues if any of these areas are modified for so called improvements or not done correctly.

I am now doing a reprint of the OzInverter Book that will bring everything up to date, I think we have hit the sweet spot with this OzInverter machine with all its component parts.

I am  re writing the book as a Kit instruction manual and I will give explanations and more detailed construction details for those folk who might need a helping hand and not necessary have in depth electrical/electronic experience.

'Oztules' passion to have his own Inverter that does everything he wanted, and his 'grab your private parts' methods of testing, what happens if that shorts etc, overload it, and blow it under control, has certainly made me realise that the guy has real Grit and a forward driving passion to explore.

I still do the OzInverter Book, with all the appropriate updates in a supplement, and I can let you have the 3 nessacary PCB's , Power Board, No12 Ozcontrol, Ozcooling board, as an option with the Book purchase. I am not a charity nor am I a business with this project, so the charges are to cover my costs.

see......... http://www.echorenovate.com/new-book--make-a-6kw-inverter.php

« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 02:57:43 AM by clockmanFRA »

jydog

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2018, 06:30:16 PM »
I have been watching for a more of a US friendly version.  Will buy the book and boards when it looks like it will guide me along better over here.

On a side note, would like a 36v dc version.  Have a number of hoverboard battery packs to utilize.

Randy