Author Topic: 3'x6' solar panels mounting angle  (Read 1684 times)

sunbelt57

3'x6' solar panels mounting angle
« on: December 13, 2020, 04:54:58 AM »
So I have (16) 3x6 solar panels I want to build brackets for using angle iron. The optimum angle (altitude) for my area is 45 degrees. I was thinking about making the angle iron adjustable so the panels could be pointed at a higher altitude in the summer and lower in the winter. I was going to accomplish this by simply making holes in the piece of angle iron that supports the frame of the panels so it would just be a matter of unbolting the frame and moving it to a different altitude. I'm just wondering if it would make that much of a difference. The panels are pointed due South with no obstructions, like trees or buildings.

bigrockcandymountain

Re: 3'x6' solar panels mounting angle
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 09:12:30 AM »
I used 2" angle iron for my frames and they are similar size panels.  We are off grid, so need all the powe we can get mid winter. 

They are about 18 degrees (4/12 pitch roof) in the summer and 65 degrees in winter.  We just add struts to tip them up. 

It is worth it to me.  They shed snow better standing up, and in summer the wind doesn't howl as bad through them being flat to the roof.

If you are grid tied, the difference won't be huge.  The biggest thing will be snow shedding.  I would even go steeper like almost 90 degrees for winter.

sunbelt57

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2020, 12:17:12 PM »
Well, since I have a stick welder and I'm going to the trouble of making the frames...

WindyOne

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 09:26:45 PM »
Seasonal Tilt ...
https://www.solarpaneltilt.com/

So I have (16) 3x6 solar panels I want to build brackets for using angle iron. The optimum angle (altitude) for my area is 45 degrees. I was thinking about making the angle iron adjustable so the panels could be pointed at a higher altitude in the summer and lower in the winter. I was going to accomplish this by simply making holes in the piece of angle iron that supports the frame of the panels so it would just be a matter of unbolting the frame and moving it to a different altitude. I'm just wondering if it would make that much of a difference. The panels are pointed due South with no obstructions, like trees or buildings.