Homebrewed Electricity > Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

which electric motor can work as a generator?

(1/2) > >>

zoran:
What kind of specs should an appliance's electric motor have, in order to produce power when working as a generator? Im thinking of tearing apart an old vacuum cleaner, or a car's windshield motor or other similar stuff. But i don't know if those motors will work as a generator, is there someway i can know?  ;)

electrondady1:
i build my own alternators from scratch but motors with multiple speeds or starting coils are good as there are usually multiple sets of coils .
 a ceiling fan motor
also induction motors although i have never dealt with one.
 Baldors seem to be the hot tickets.
stepper motors can be used used.

george65:

To the best of my Knowledge.....

Permanent magnet motors are good: F&P washing machines, small scooter motors, treadmills, windscreen wipers,  etc.

Induction motors work, 3 phase and single.

Stepper motors are functional as generators. Microwave oven turntable drives etc

Universal motors, Vaccums, blenders, fans,  other high speed, light weight type motors are no good.

And of course there are always car and truck alternators which have efficiency as good as any generator when coupled with an external controller.

Important question is what do you want to so with it and how do you want to drive it?
Some are better at AC power than others, some work better with one type of motive force than another, some work well for charging batteries....

I suggest before you try and pick the road to take, choose the destination first.  :0)

Mary B:
GE ECM motors also, fun to play with, good for a couple hundred watts.

zoran:
What exactly are alternator and induction motors? And also is ECM a brand or a type of motor?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version