Author Topic: which electric motor can work as a generator?  (Read 6635 times)

zoran

which electric motor can work as a generator?
« on: December 30, 2017, 06:47:46 AM »
What kind of specs should an appliance's electric motor have, in order to produce power when working as a generator? Im thinking of tearing apart an old vacuum cleaner, or a car's windshield motor or other similar stuff. But i don't know if those motors will work as a generator, is there someway i can know?  ;)

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
Re: which electric motor can work as a generator?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 08:21:14 AM »
i build my own alternators from scratch but motors with multiple speeds or starting coils are good as there are usually multiple sets of coils .
 a ceiling fan motor
also induction motors although i have never dealt with one.
 Baldors seem to be the hot tickets.
stepper motors can be used used.

george65

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 10:59:16 AM »

To the best of my Knowledge.....

Permanent magnet motors are good: F&P washing machines, small scooter motors, treadmills, windscreen wipers,  etc.

Induction motors work, 3 phase and single.

Stepper motors are functional as generators. Microwave oven turntable drives etc

Universal motors, Vaccums, blenders, fans,  other high speed, light weight type motors are no good.

And of course there are always car and truck alternators which have efficiency as good as any generator when coupled with an external controller.

Important question is what do you want to so with it and how do you want to drive it?
Some are better at AC power than others, some work better with one type of motive force than another, some work well for charging batteries....

I suggest before you try and pick the road to take, choose the destination first.  :0)

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 05:31:47 PM »
GE ECM motors also, fun to play with, good for a couple hundred watts.

zoran

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 02:39:36 AM »
What exactly are alternator and induction motors? And also is ECM a brand or a type of motor?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 02:44:00 AM by zoran »

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 07:37:40 PM »
ECM is a form of permanent magnet motor,lots of info on here if you search

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 11:11:24 PM »
Step one: Obtain aspirin and or large volumes of ethanol hydroxide at 75% proof

Step 2: Select a wall to bang head against

Step 3: Clear calendar for about a week

Ok now whats a motor? Why it is just a generator used back wards! What's a generator? Why just a motor used back wards! it is a question of driving or driven and then some wiring optimization!

So now we have every thing on the planet covered what good does this do us? Not much!

So better question is what are your goals? What are your abilities to drive said motor/generator
How hard do you need it to work?

For a simple example I took an old hot tub pump modified it a bit and turned it into a rather good work horse making 356w at 135V at 44Hz it was rated at 240v at 2Hp, I hadn't finished the full pipe line but even under driven it did a good job. given it was a hard worker as a motor it faired well as a generator!

If you need it to work long and hard avoid motors that use commutators (Basically all brushed motors)

That means you will need to work with ECM (Electronically commutated motor) So it is basically a 3 phase permanent magnet motor, or induction motor.

any case brain is starting to shut down on me here, so more details from you will allow for a good match to be found.
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 11:16:57 PM »
What exactly are alternator and induction motors? And also is ECM a brand or a type of motor?

alternator: Uses a DC field to generate the magnetic excitation field in the rotor, more current to the field the stronger the voltage, electrically connected to the out side world via slip rings and brushes (Basis of how all generators work and car alternators, in cars the only difference is voltage and a built in rectifier bridge, most are 3 phase.)

Induction motor: Uses the main winding to induce current into the rotor causing it to generate an internal magnetic field via copper shorting wires cast into the aluminium body of the rotor with no electrical conection between the rotor or the winding
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!