Author Topic: Machine tools  (Read 3940 times)

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
Machine tools
« on: January 05, 2018, 04:38:59 PM »
I use this lathe for finishing fitment stuff like that

11028-0

These are the bits that I use to cut they are carbide

11029-1

I got lucky with these bits because shimming is minimal they are level with the turning axis.

11030-2

these are used to cut the valve seat. I have a tail stock with drill chuck to use these.

My source is- http://www.grizzly.com for regular tool bits, I also use https://www.mscdirect.com/

Had to think about it for minute, the seat cutters are custom made.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 08:00:45 PM by JW »

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
Re: Machine tools
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 11:02:52 PM »
perhaps it is laziness but I tend to file for my finish fit, then lap to final fit, rarely did I ever just turn them down other then ruffing.

As in another thread when I can will be geting a small bench lathe and when finally on some acreage a full sized lathe, I miss having tools as it is a serious slow down to getting the new wind turbine don.
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 08:59:44 AM »
i modified a tiny wood lathe with a thee jawed chuck and a  drill chuck on the tail stock. very limited as to what i can do with it but still, comes in handy.

george65

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 09:23:42 PM »
i modified a tiny wood lathe with a thee jawed chuck and a  drill chuck on the tail stock. very limited as to what i can do with it but still, comes in handy.

Sometimes you can do a lot with just a little. 
Just that bit more flexibility and capability can result in a disproportionate amount of the wider range of jobs you can do with something.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 12:33:44 PM »
I never know how lucky I was until it was gone.
For 16 years I worked at an aerospace prototype engineering shop and had access to lathe, NC mill, regular vertical mill, welding, and all sorts of sheet-metal equipment, and a trusting relationship with the owner (very small company) so that I could so lots of weekend projects.  Then he retired and I had to get a bland office job.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca