Author Topic: Good charge controller?  (Read 4281 times)

Atokatim

Good charge controller?
« on: October 31, 2012, 11:11:37 PM »
I am starting to tinker a little more with solar and would like to get a reliable charge controller for less than $50.  Currently, I have a 24V 18 watt solar panel that I plan on charging a 12v sealed battery which will run a pump for rain water distribution.  The pump has a pressure control switch which turns the pump on and off automatically when the pressure in the system adjusts based on usage.  I tried to build my own charge controller with a basic adjustable voltage regulator but I was not able to get any more than 720ma charging current due to the limitations of the regulator.  I would also like to expand the solar array to charge a bigger 12v battery bank for use on other items, so a home made charge controller does not seem to be economical to me.  Does anyone have any recommendations for a good charge controller I can purchase for less than $50?  I found some on Amazon, but I am really not sure what I should start with.  Thanks for any help!

Atokatim

Re: Good charge controller?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 11:40:21 PM »
I found this on amazon, but it does not have many reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Controller-Regulator-Charging-Automatic-Functions/dp/B008I0IZ7O/ref=sr_1_20?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1351741061&sr=1-20&keywords=solar+charge+controller

Is this something I could start with or is there something better?

birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 01:11:26 AM »
with the info provided, a Ghurd charge controller is going to be the best bet. 

ghurd.info.com is the site i believe.  he's a member here that gives a board, but ya gotta solder it yourself.  it has proven to be a very reliable CC in as big of a system as you want to run.  you just purchase more mosphets if you need bigger power regulation.

many here run them without issue, and at $14???  it is the best deal under the sun! 

adam

Atokatim

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 01:31:03 AM »
Hmmm.  That is awesome!  I will check into that and hopefully get in contact with him.

OperaHouse

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 09:51:47 AM »
  I tried to build my own charge controller

Do you think you could build one if you had a good circuit.  If you are driving a pump I would put some smarts in the system to prevent operation at low voltage.  You could probably use other smart functions in your system.  I would investigate an Arduino UNO.  I have one functioning as a charge controller, pump controller and data logger.

Atokatim

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 09:00:50 PM »
I never got into the arduino since it did not have the processing power I was looking for at the time of another project.  I use the Parallax Propeller for all my projects now since it can handle multiple tasks at once.  I did think about building my own charge controller, but I don't know enough about charging batteries to know where to start. 

I did get a charge controller from a local solar installer who said it just died on him and he did not know how to fix it.  I wound up replacing a regulator on the charge circuit and a diode on the battery voltage display and got it working again...I think....  I have a 24V solar panel and am charging a 12V sealed battery.  Once everything was connected though the charge controller, I tested it with a meter and saw that the output voltage to the battery was pulsing from 12V to 18V+  I don't know if this is how to properly charge a battery, nor if putting higher than 14.5 V directly to a 12V battery was a good idea or not.  The solar installer guy said that once the battery gets to 14.5V, the controller will slow the pulsing and keep the battery regulated at 14.5V

jasonmanning

• BEST SOLAR LANDSCAPE LIGHTS – TOP REVIEWS OF 2018
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 04:28:56 AM »
A good solar charge controller is nothing but a voltage or current regulator that prevents batteries from overcharging .Its main purpose is to regulate the voltage and current coming out from solar panels and going to the battery... 8)

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 08:47:10 AM »
You do know this thread is well over 6 years old right?
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 06:11:53 PM »
This guy made like 7 posts most of which I deleted this morning. Im not surprised you did not get a reply.

jasonmanning

• BEST SOLAR LANDSCAPE LIGHTS – TOP REVIEWS OF 2018
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 07:49:05 AM »
You do know this thread is well over 6 years old right?

Sorry for that, was just getting familiar with the forum and replied in random. Will take care