Author Topic: post about website-related issues  (Read 2263 times)

electrondady1 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

JW

• Development Manager
  • SuperHero Member
    • Flashsteam.com
post about website-related issues
« on: January 13, 2018, 10:04:44 PM »
This topic is about web related issues, leave your comments here...

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Re: post about website-related issues
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 10:38:41 PM »
No complaints here. This site loads faster than most and I don't get stupid iframe overlays that tell me to upgrade to a pay per view or complain about my script blocker interfering with their ads. I haven't needed to resize screen caps of things lately, either.

JW

• Development Manager
  • SuperHero Member
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 12:22:33 AM »
What we need is "report to Moderator" Flags... Where shaping thinks over... 

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 02:11:55 AM »
System works fine for me.
There is a "report to moderator" button.  I try not to use it but I know it's there.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it.  Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.

System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, regulated by Xantrex C40, DIY 8ft diameter wind turbine, regulated by Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024

JW

• Development Manager
  • SuperHero Member
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 06:01:36 PM »
Users with less than 10 posts can no longer post links as requested :)
*Note: it applies to external links only. Anyone can still link stuff within the fieldlines.com domain

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 08:40:08 PM »
Hi JW,
I was thinking about this 10-post threshold, and it occurs to me that the sign-up process doesn't mention it.  New users who register are asked to agree to the site's terms of use, but the agreement doesn't mention this.  I think it would be fair to inform new users who sign up, briefly explaining why.

Registration Agreement
You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, adult material, or otherwise in violation of any International or United States Federal law. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless you own the copyright or you have written consent from the owner of the copyrighted material. Spam, flooding, advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are also forbidden on this forum.

Note that it is impossible for the staff or the owners of this forum to confirm the validity of posts. Please remember that we do not actively monitor the posted messages, and as such, are not responsible for the content contained within. We do not warrant the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information presented. The posted messages express the views of the author, and not necessarily the views of this forum, its staff, its subsidiaries, or this forum's owner. Anyone who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to notify an administrator or moderator of this forum immediately. The staff and the owner of this forum reserve the right to remove objectionable content, within a reasonable time frame, if they determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, please realize that they may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately. This policy applies to member profile information as well.

You remain solely responsible for the content of your posted messages. Furthermore, you agree to indemnify and hold harmless the owners of this forum, any related websites to this forum, its staff, and its subsidiaries. The owners of this forum also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or any other related information collected on this service) in the event of a formal complaint or legal action arising from any situation caused by your use of this forum.

You have the ability, as you register, to choose your username. We advise that you keep the name appropriate. With this user account you are about to register, you agree to never give your password out to another person except an administrator, for your protection and for validity reasons. You also agree to NEVER use another person's account for any reason.  We also HIGHLY recommend you use a complex and unique password for your account, to prevent account theft.

After you register and login to this forum, you will be able to fill out a detailed profile. It is your responsibility to present clean and accurate information. Any information the forum owner or staff determines to be inaccurate or vulgar in nature will be removed, with or without prior notice. Appropriate sanctions may be applicable.

While you are a new user, you will not be able to attach images to your posts, post external links, or to advertise in the Classified section.  This is to discourage blatant advertising, and to encourage all members to be contributors.  The limit goes away after you've made 10 posts.

Please note that with each post, your IP address is recorded, in the event that you need to be banned from this forum or your ISP contacted. This will only happen in the event of a major violation of this agreement.

Also note that the software places a cookie, a text file containing bits of information (such as your username and password), in your browser's cache. This is ONLY used to keep you logged in/out. The software does not collect or send any other form of information to your computer.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it.  Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.

System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, regulated by Xantrex C40, DIY 8ft diameter wind turbine, regulated by Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024

JW

• Development Manager
  • SuperHero Member
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 08:47:28 PM »
Done

JW

• Development Manager
  • SuperHero Member
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 08:53:49 PM »
Also this is done automatically so admins and GM don't have to edit posts, if they a new user posts a link it just doesn't work, after ten posts the forum releases the use to do that. Again this is being done now.

JW

• Development Manager
  • SuperHero Member
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 09:30:00 PM »
As long as were on the subject. I don't like the restriction on attachment/images for ten posts. Also Im not sure about the classified thing, in order to do this will be complex since its a restriction between topics. If we could do it like an official member group it would be easier. I do like the 10 post restriction on classified section. I will do some digging.

The other issue is new user approval, I have been monitoring you guys with member approval thru the Admin log, you need to "approve and send email" not just "approve".
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 09:40:47 PM by JW »

Bruce S

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 11:34:58 AM »
JW;
Some of the newer GMs are in learning mode. There's never been a formal SOP on how to do stuff :).

I know from past posts, the restrictions on classified where there do to new users coming in posting in classified and were in fact for-profit companies.

Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 02:53:30 PM »

...you need to "approve and send email" not just "approve"...

Right.  Bruce informed me of that, too, just the other day.   :-[
I will proceed carefully as I get used to the job... expect more questions along the way.

Bruce S

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 04:47:28 PM »
SparWeb;
No worries, the number of mistakes I made were historic  :o
Bruce S

JW

• Development Manager
  • SuperHero Member
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2018, 06:20:37 PM »
What's really hard to do is move a post, there is a feature called "split topic" and it can be done that way.

JW

• Development Manager
  • SuperHero Member
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2018, 07:05:27 PM »
Simple Minds - Alive And Kicking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljIQo1OHkTI

Audioslave - Like a Stone (Official Video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QU1nvuxaMA

The White Stripes - Seven Nation Army
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j7huh5Egew

Soundgarden - Burden In My Hand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAfPZp5Rhjo

Vertical Horizon - Everything You Want
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZoD8JEFjAE

Duncan Sheik - Barely Breathing (Video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-oh-tP6RvA

JW
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 07:41:31 PM by JW »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2018, 09:53:19 PM »
JW,
I was beginning to think you only liked old-fogie rock.  :)

Here's another fresh one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uYWYWPc9HU
Radiohead - Karma Police
(It's only 20 years old, you know) 

Bruce S

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2018, 09:06:50 AM »
What's really hard to do is move a post, there is a feature called "split topic" and it can be done that way.
Or once you're in that topic, at the very bottom is when the move topic shows up.
Harder is deciding if you want to move entire topic or split them :->

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2018, 01:22:11 PM »
Was trying to figure out how to make a sticky for the fire extinguisher recall, and perhaps make a standard sticky for other forums for fire safety and proper selection of said units perhaps.
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

JW

• Development Manager
  • SuperHero Member
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2018, 02:22:28 PM »
Try it again Xeonpony

I was doing some stuff with the forum and you should be ok now. Just be real carful about approving new user accounts.

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2018, 11:45:05 AM »
Will be with any newer ones, figured best to empty the back log as doubt most will bother being how old requests where, only ones with realistic emails and screen names where accepted.
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

JW

• Development Manager
  • SuperHero Member
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2018, 12:48:27 PM »
Don't worry to much about approving new users I prefer to do that. Just be concerned with moderating and the like. Your posts are good, keep that up :)

JW

• Development Manager
  • SuperHero Member
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2018, 06:31:57 PM »
Talked with Damon this morning he is taking a break from the forum for a while. He tells me his job has just been to busy, and he will be till April. Also I think that I offended him, and that's my fault. You can never know until you are an Admin I learned that the hard way. But I understand my mistakes now.

I think we have some excellent GM's and im trusting the forum to them. Meanwhile back at the ranch Im going back to
Development Manager. Just kidding about the ranch.   
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 06:49:08 PM by JW »

JW

• Development Manager
  • SuperHero Member
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2018, 03:59:05 PM »
I just installed modification and its one for SEO

Quote from: Flavio
however, unlike the other things I add that are generally somewhat straightforward, these settings must not be messed with unless you know what you're doing, because they can surely boost SEO, but also kill it if misconfigured!

What Im looking for is someone who has experience with SEO. If I can find someone who is user here that knows how to configure all the better :)

JW

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2018, 10:54:41 AM »
Hi JW,
Recently I noticed that the image upload limits have been changed.  I would like to add this information to sticky postings in the Image Uploads and FAQ sections.

...but I can't find out where it was written what the image upload limits now ARE... 

JW

• Development Manager
  • SuperHero Member
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2018, 11:45:04 AM »
Hi Sparweb,

I believe the upload picture's are set to unlimited upload.

Im going to make you a forum developer till Monday morning and that way you can log in to the ACP. Just be careful in there, if you have any questions just ask. 

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2018, 07:37:33 PM »
When writing a reply to a post (like this one) the attach options are as follows:

Allowed file types: doc, gif, jpg, mpg, pdf, png, txt, zip
Restrictions: 5 per post

There used to be specifications of file size per file format, but I see they are gone.  If they're completely abolished, then that changes the previous policy of facilitating users with limited bandwidth, such as dial-up.  I know there are very few, but I don't want to put up any barriers.  I will note this as a "politeness" policy when I write up the FAQ.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2018, 07:44:49 PM »
Im going to make you a forum developer till Monday morning

I have no idea what that means.  There's no point in changing my privileges (plus or minus) because I don't really have much free time.  I will write the posts that I mentioned before, and then later figure out how to make them Sticky if I can.  Currently I can't to do anything more than a regular member, because my mod buttons are gone.  I don't think I can even make a post Sticky right now.
I know you want to, but don't bother explaining it to me - like I said, I don't have enough free time to figure this out.  I'm just helping where I can.

JW

• Development Manager
  • SuperHero Member
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2018, 07:46:11 PM »
Hi Sparweb.

Quote from: Sparweb
There used to be specifications of file size per file format, but I see they are gone.  If they're completely abolished, then that changes the previous policy of facilitating users with limited bandwidth, such as dial-up.

The setting still works but you have to download the file then open it even with better isp the process is still the same.

JW

• Development Manager
  • SuperHero Member
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2018, 07:53:25 PM »
Im going to make you a forum developer till Monday morning

I have no idea what that means.  There's no point in changing my privileges (plus or minus) because I don't really have much free time.

To do what you asking to you need better permission that that of a GM.

I figured you were hitting a dead end. Higher permissions are needed to do what your asking.

If you have to much on your plate I can remove the permissions I was only going to do it for a couple of days and figured you may get into something that you get to working on and grant you enough time to experiment.   

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2018, 09:00:35 PM »
Dead end? No.  I wasn't trying to change how the site works.  I think I see how you misunderstood though.  I didn't explain why I brought it up.
I was advising a member on picture posting limits and went looking for where it's written down...  but it isn't any more.  I just wanted to fix that by adding a FAQ post. 
I still don't know what a dev manager can do or how I would go about changing anything without royally messing up the rest of the site.
Moot point, since my controls have reverted back to regular member's.  Oh - wait, they're back to Mod again...  OK that means I can carry on with the plan.
Thanks again JW.  Sorry about the mixup.

JW

• Development Manager
  • SuperHero Member
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2018, 09:08:21 PM »
Quote from: Sparweb
regular member's.  Oh - wait, they're back to Mod again...

Ya do to forum security you may see regular user account , then the new account type.