Author Topic: State of the art LED  (Read 5057 times)

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
Re: State of the art LED
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 07:10:06 PM »
Sounds like they get pretty hot, as a minimum I would mount them on an aluminum sheet to act as a heat sink...

TDC

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 09:06:28 PM »
Why do you think so? Suspended horizontally in still air I measured 112F.  You will have a hard time finding more efficient LED lighting.
Try one, you'll like it. https://www.arrow.com/en/products/bxeb-l0280z-35e1000-c-b3/bridgelux
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 09:20:54 PM by TDC »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 08:54:33 AM »
The heat you're feeling is the electronics keeping those diodes on. The cooler you keep them the longer they will last.
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 02:53:47 PM »
The strip they are mounted on is the heat sink. It's like your laptop computer now. The entire shell is a heat sink. That's why better laptops are made of aluminum instead of plastic. It conducts heat well, so the entire laptop will be the same temperature even with no air flow.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 06:28:48 PM »
Heat is the enemy of electronics! Cooler it runs the better. I will be ordering 2 strips form digikey next month to play with. Need a new under cabinet light for the kitchen sink. Depending on brightness I may turn one into a porch light also.

Why do you think so? Suspended horizontally in still air I measured 112F.  You will have a hard time finding more efficient LED lighting.
Try one, you'll like it. https://www.arrow.com/en/products/bxeb-l0280z-35e1000-c-b3/bridgelux

TDC

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 07:28:22 PM »
The strip they are mounted on is the heat sink. It's like your laptop computer now. The entire shell is a heat sink. That's why better laptops are made of aluminum instead of plastic. It conducts heat well, so the entire laptop will be the same temperature even with no air flow.
And due to the high efficiency, they run cooler for a given amount of light. 
Screw in LED's are 9-10 watts and 800 lumens. One 280mm long strip running at nominal current is 7 watts and 1200 lumens!

TDC

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 07:48:10 PM »
Heat is the enemy of electronics! Cooler it runs the better. I will be ordering 2 strips form digikey next month to play with. Need a new under cabinet light for the kitchen sink. Depending on brightness I may turn one into a porch light also.
True, they are a little more efficient at lower temperatures.  People monitor voltage or current to determine junction temperature and heat sink effectiveness.  Bridgelux has good datasheets and many manufacturers have "simulators"  that calculate everything.   I believe 3500k and 5000k color temperatures are in stock, I suggest 3500k.  Order $20 from Arrow and get free next day shipping. 

Samsung also has very good strips.  look for F, H and Q series.
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/samsung-semiconductor-inc/SI-B8U221B2HUS/1510-1577-ND/6149742
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/samsung-semiconductor-inc/SI-B8U521B20WW/1510-2226-ND/6624010

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 03:03:59 PM »
I looked at your links. A I have used them (digikey) this is a way really good to archive this. I really hate it seems they got rid of paper catalog..   

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 05:54:55 PM »
Digikey is overnight shipping for me since they are in MN. So I use them a LOT! I have some rack cabinet panels I need to get next month so will tack that onto the order.

swarakulkarni

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2019, 12:57:35 AM »
The strip they are mounted on is the warmth sink. It resembles your PC. The whole shell is a warmth sink. That is the reason better workstations are made of aluminum rather than plastic. It conducts heat well, so the whole PC will be a similar temperature even with no wind stream.