Author Topic: Recommendations for ventilation systems, approaches?  (Read 3391 times)

jlsoaz

Recommendations for ventilation systems, approaches?
« on: March 04, 2018, 12:39:29 PM »
Hi - a few years ago, I replaced my old Mitsubishi heat pump with a new one.  Something like this, though I don't know that this is the exact model:

https://www.ecomfort.com/Mitsubishi-M3L30W06061500/p67615.html

However, ventilation isn't part of the deal, and since I have no really active ventilation system in my house, I am left to:

- cracking windows and opening doors - not always super-efficient, and dependent on my remembering to do things.
- operating bathroom fans (super-loud, basically, I don't do this).

I also maintain a CO2 detector to remind me, if I forget about the doors and windows from time to time) (above 1000 ppm an alarm sounds).

Can anyone recommend a new approach?  I am easing toward getting comfortable with a new contractor working on my house, and they may be able to recommend something, but if someone here has had a good experience with a ventilation system bringing in fresh air but not sacrificing more energy than necessary, that would be good to know.

Simen

• Grimstad, Norway
Re: Recommendations for ventilation systems, approaches?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 12:48:06 AM »
An air to air heat exchange unit would do the job. :) (Link just an example...)
I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. - (R. A. Heinlein)

jlsoaz

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 01:14:03 AM »
An air to air heat exchange unit would do the job. :) (Link just an example...)

Ok, thanks.

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 08:41:08 AM »
Where are you located?  If it's cold consider a heat recovery ventilator.  Mine is set up with continuous fresh supply to the kitchen living room.  It sucks exhaust out 9f the bedrooms and bathrooms.  There is a boost switch in each bathroom.  It works nicely.  It is an Ultimate Air 200DX

Other models with efficient motors would be Zehnder Comfoair and Venmar E15

Mine is an erv which means it recovers moisture too.  I would rather have an hrv that only recovers heat.  Our humidity stays about 50% and i would like it lower. 

jlsoaz

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 02:57:23 PM »
Where are you located?  If it's cold consider a heat recovery ventilator.  Mine is set up with continuous fresh supply to the kitchen living room.  It sucks exhaust out 9f the bedrooms and bathrooms.  There is a boost switch in each bathroom.  It works nicely.  It is an Ultimate Air 200DX

Other models with efficient motors would be Zehnder Comfoair and Venmar E15

Mine is an erv which means it recovers moisture too.  I would rather have an hrv that only recovers heat.  Our humidity stays about 50% and i would like it lower.

Thanks for the points, including about the HRV and ERV.

I"m at about 3500 feet above sea level, near Nogales, Arizona, USA, about 10 miles north of Mexico.  It gets very hot, yes, especially in summer, but also gets a bit cold at night in winter, occasionally below freezing temp of water.  I realize that's not "cold" by some standards, but I'm just making the point it's not uniformly super-hot weather all year.  More like high-desert, with somewhat wide daily temperature swings.

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 07:55:00 PM »
Good a/c split systems incorporate what is commonly called an economizer that uses the outside air instead of the compressor to heat/cool if the climate supports it. Your location does [low humidity/warm days and cool nights]. At night you should be using outside air to maintain inside temps until the following morning when it warms up enough to require the compressor. If you have a swimming pool, it can be used as a heat sink to cool the house during the day and warm it at night or use the house a/c to warm the pool.
There are also standalone solar a/c that boost the capacity of the grid tied unit. Your location gets lots of sun and might benefit from this.  http://www.hotspotenergy.com/solar-air-conditioner/

The outside air can be run through an air-air heat exchanger or piped in directly depending on your preference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economizer