Author Topic: Biomass Magazine  (Read 2792 times)

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
Biomass Magazine
« on: December 08, 2018, 02:55:33 PM »
Working with external combustion engines, pellet fuel is a cheap fuel source. I also like to burn whole kernel corn. Below are some useful links-

http://biomassmagazine.com

http://biomassmagazine.com/articles/15809/eia-760-000-tons-of-densified-biomass-fuel-produced-in-august

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
Re: Biomass Magazine
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 04:37:40 PM »
I just tried a new locally made pellet... YUCK! Dirty, way to much ash... Arctic Heating Pellets, they are junk...

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 04:46:04 PM »
These are the reason I made an improved furnace, burning corn is similar to burn the high density fuel. I can even burn olive pits.

Using these type of fuels is more difficult but its cheaper if to can get to that optimized burn.

I think we can burn these dense fuels with an improved burner.

https://flashsteam.com/corn-burners-solid-fuel-burners   

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 04:18:53 PM »
The problem with high ash fuels is ash removal... good pellets or clean corn I can go weeks without dumping the ash pan. 2 bags of these dirty pellets and it was half full. And when it is between 0 to 20 degrees I burn a full bag a day heating the house... Below zero I can run a bag and a half to 2 bags if I am pushing the stove hard!

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 06:30:12 PM »
I don't know if we are talking about the same thing. when you say bag are you referring to a 50 lb sack ?
 Around here the big thing is to sell corn for range feed. most call it deer corn and a 50 lb sack can run from $7.00 to $10.00 depending on where you buy it. Sounds expensive to me @ $210 to 300.00 per month. But then again if I had to buy my wood that would probably cost me $250.00 a month. as it is I buy the $35.00 a gallon fuel because the chain saw runs better on it and it doesn't have the automotive sludge additives that are not stable. 2 cans of that and a gallon of bar oil and I'm good for the season.
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

phil b

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 04:35:32 PM »
 Just a thought...Why wouldn't shredded and dried tree branches and limbs work?
Phil

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 04:52:18 PM »
Quote from: phil b
Just a thought...Why wouldn't shredded and dried tree branches and limbs work?

densified solid fuel is preferred since it can fuel a compact furnace, there is another factor water content of the pellets.

If you can use an auger it simplifies fueling since the pellets are considered discrete fuel.

You are right to a certain extent since 
Why wouldn't shredded and dried tree branches and limbs
are run thru pelletizing machines.   

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 06:16:56 PM »
I don't know if we are talking about the same thing. when you say bag are you referring to a 50 lb sack ?
 Around here the big thing is to sell corn for range feed. most call it deer corn and a 50 lb sack can run from $7.00 to $10.00 depending on where you buy it. Sounds expensive to me @ $210 to 300.00 per month. But then again if I had to buy my wood that would probably cost me $250.00 a month. as it is I buy the $35.00 a gallon fuel because the chain saw runs better on it and it doesn't have the automotive sludge additives that are not stable. 2 cans of that and a gallon of bar oil and I'm good for the season.

I was talking wood pellets, 40pound bags. Corn I buy bulk from the grain elevator...

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 06:22:41 PM »
Corn and wood pellets are both about 8,000 BTU's/lb. But corn is much denser and you can deliver more to the fire pot so it burns hotter. I often burn a mix to keep the corn from forming a "clinker" the leftover burnt sugars that form a hard cake...