Author Topic: battery charger from an ols magnum pae 2024 inverter  (Read 3140 times)

Jason Wilkinson

battery charger from an ols magnum pae 2024 inverter
« on: December 06, 2020, 01:50:03 PM »
 Greetings to all: I've lost my magnasine pae 4024 after only 8 yrs of faithful service . The controll and the FET boards are gone.Is there anyway i can make a battery charger out of the transformer?  i believe that's still good. I know the inverter " CAN BE REPAIRED"  but it's costly so ship it from here    W I   and it's still covid 19   any one willing to share knowledge on making a charger?
 Thanks Jason

bigrockcandymountain

Re: battery charger from an ols magnum pae 2024 inverter
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 05:42:22 PM »
Did you call magnum and ask if they would just send new boards? I'm hoping i get better service out of my 44 48 pae. 

Did you abuse your inverter in any way to make it fail?

Sorry I'm no help turning it in to a charger. 

MagnetJuice

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 11:44:29 PM »
That powerful transformer inside that beast could be wired backwards and could make a very nice 24v charger.

Here is a diagram from the owner's manual. Maybe someone here can guide you.

Ed
What can I do TODAY that would make TOMORROW a better world?

Jason Wilkinson

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 05:56:55 PM »
THanks guys , but would you not need the Fet board (as per the manual) for a charger ?  i want to use just the xformer  and maybe a bridge rectifier
 Jason

mab

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 08:31:56 PM »
I'm assuming it was a puresine inverter?

you can use a transformer and bridge rectifier to make a charger, but i suspect the transformer of a 24vdc inverter as standard will be too low a voltage to charge a 24v battery directly - for powerjack inverters it would output ~16v rms; for some other inverter boards it's more like ~13v. If you want to charge 12v batteries then your OK, although 16v might be a bit too high.

I suggest you try connecting it to the AC line and checking the actual output voltage as a step down transformer, then go from there. If you're not certain the transformer's OK you can connect it in series with an incandescent lamp, say 60 or 100watts; if the transformer's ok the lamp may give a brief flash then go very dim; if the transformer is shorted the lamp will glow at full brightness.

If it's a toroidal transformer it should be fairly easy to add extra turns to change the output voltage if necessary.