Homebrewed Electricity > Temporary power

When the power goes out

<< < (37/37)

JW:
I used to race 12th scale, "on carpet" we nervier had it that good, efficiently pm dv compete. a magnet motor can not compete accept. The -p

ChrisOlson:
We had a Tesla that caught on fire here on County V over the weekend. It reportedly quit going down the road. The two people in it got out and noticed smoke coming out of it. They got away from it before it exploded. It caught on fire just after lunch last Saturday. The fire dept worked on putting it out, but it was still burning on Sunday morning. It got so hot it melted the road and set that on fire, set the ditch on fire, thankfully it was by a swamp so they kept the fire from spreading. But they used 13,000 gallons of water just to keep it cool enough so the asphalt in the road wouldn't keep burning.

It is now like a superfund cleanup site. The amount of water required to control it resulted in groundwater contamination right by a swamp. A few thousand yards of dirt, and a section of the road have to be dug out and hauled to a toxic landfill someplace, and then replaced and the site restored. They've been testing the material removed and it was more extensive than originally thought. There's toxic materials still coming out of the site and they've hauled 30-some dump truck loads out so far. Out here in the country they didn't have the convenience of a storm drain system like they have in cities that could capture the toxic runoff.

Plus not sure who's going to pay for it. Lithium batteries are hazardous materials and are subject to DOT's Hazardous Materials Regulations (HMR; 49 CFR Parts 171–180). It's illegal to even ship one under 49 CFR section 173.185 without all the proper hazmat insurance and paperwork. And then they put them in electric cars? They're going to have to include an environmental hazardous materials surcharge on EV insurance because when one catches on fire they are an environmental disaster, and they are extremely dangerous. This is well known, but little is done about it because they are the latest political posturing statement that politicians can use to claim they're gonna "save the planet".

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWq-Mq1Uqpw
Daughter has had zero luck getting rid of her Tesla. We bought her a nice Jeep Compass and she's stopped making the payments on the Tesla. She's gonna let the bank take it. Not really all that great for her credit rating, but at this point she has no choice. Elon Musk is a fraud anyway that has sucked millions of people into his scams that he funds with taxpayer dollars thru government subsidies, including Tesla. If you're interested, there's a pretty good series that presents the facts.

https://youtu.be/c-FGwDDc-s8

https://youtu.be/DopFo1rjAr4

XeonPony:

--- Quote from: ChrisOlson on August 04, 2022, 10:27:15 PM ---We had a Tesla that caught on fire here on County V over the weekend. It reportedly quit going down the road. The two people in it got out and noticed smoke coming out of it. They got away from it before it exploded. It caught on fire just after lunch last Saturday. The fire dept worked on putting it out, but it was still burning on Sunday morning. It got so hot it melted the road and set that on fire, set the ditch on fire, thankfully it was by a swamp so they kept the fire from spreading. But they used 13,000 gallons of water just to keep it cool enough so the asphalt in the road wouldn't keep burning.

It is now like a superfund cleanup site. The amount of water required to control it resulted in groundwater contamination right by a swamp. A few thousand yards of dirt, and a section of the road have to be dug out and hauled to a toxic landfill someplace, and then replaced and the site restored. They've been testing the material removed and it was more extensive than originally thought. There's toxic materials still coming out of the site and they've hauled 30-some dump truck loads out so far. Out here in the country they didn't have the convenience of a storm drain system like they have in cities that could capture the toxic runoff.

Plus not sure who's going to pay for it. Lithium batteries are hazardous materials and are subject to DOT's Hazardous Materials Regulations (HMR; 49 CFR Parts 171–180). It's illegal to even ship one under 49 CFR section 173.185 without all the proper hazmat insurance and paperwork. And then they put them in electric cars? They're going to have to include an environmental hazardous materials surcharge on EV insurance because when one catches on fire they are an environmental disaster, and they are extremely dangerous. This is well known, but little is done about it because they are the latest political posturing statement that politicians can use to claim they're gonna "save the planet".

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWq-Mq1Uqpw
Daughter has had zero luck getting rid of her Tesla. We bought her a nice Jeep Compass and she's stopped making the payments on the Tesla. She's gonna let the bank take it. Not really all that great for her credit rating, but at this point she has no choice. Elon Musk is a fraud anyway that has sucked millions of people into his scams that he funds with taxpayer dollars thru government subsidies, including Tesla. If you're interested, there's a pretty good series that presents the facts.

https://youtu.be/c-FGwDDc-s8

https://youtu.be/DopFo1rjAr4

--- End quote ---

Tesla used the worst possible battery chem to claim the range, Compare to the Nissan leaf has never had a battery fire, but they can't boast the range, just bullet proof reliability, sadly most them are copying Teslas sh*t battery system, so we'll be seeing more fires.

the more energy dense the battery is the more fragile it is to keep it from spontaneous release of said energy.

ChrisOlson:

--- Quote from: XeonPony on February 19, 2024, 09:51:28 AM ---Tesla used the worst possible battery chem to claim the range, Compare to the Nissan leaf has never had a battery fire, but they can't boast the range, just bullet proof reliability, sadly most them are copying Teslas sh*t battery system, so we'll be seeing more fires.

the more energy dense the battery is the more fragile it is to keep it from spontaneous release of said energy.

--- End quote ---

For our daughter it was a rather expensive lesson. These things are piling up on car lots and they can't sell them. I think I read where one of the major car rental outfits is dumping their EV fleet and going back to gas engines because the EV's are too expensive to operate and maintain. Which is going to further depress the used market for them. Like all fads, they hit their peak and then reality sets in.

JW:

I feel the same about these battery bank systems. These battery systems are just too new. Also I don't like the 600v to 800v running volt systems. there's been concerns from first responders with auto accidents. I've seen fire trucks hose down the batt banks and after 10 hours they still cant put them out.

I preferer a low voltage systems(100v max DC) myself. We all know there is a need for better battery systems. During with my work with my invention of a "4 cycle steam engine" I also patented (for education) a variable lift direct injection valve. In order to make  it lift it needed water cool the electromagnetic coil conductor. We can do better with high amp low volt systems.

I actually patented the thing   https://patents.google.com/patent/US8261575B1/en
It uses centrifugal force at running speeds to self pump the coolant thru the armature coil wires. 

its a low voltage traction motor design for an EV. Why cant we have EV that will burnout and smoke the tires like a hotrod.

There should different types of EV's       

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version