Author Topic: IE may cause display issues  (Read 3693 times)

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
IE may cause display issues
« on: June 19, 2018, 11:12:47 PM »
Since all the upgrades fieldlines does not support IE anymore. I think firefox is ok to use. Im using Chrome now.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 07:57:55 PM by JW »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 11:48:07 PM »
At first, it sounds like sticking it to the man, but then come the doubts. 
What do the site stats say? 
Typically, administrators can read a report of site traffic broken down by browser type.  What % of the traffic was using IE last month?
My website's traffic is:
   Google Chrome      36.6 %   
   MS Internet Explorer   18.9 %   
   Firefox      17.4 %   
   Mozilla      7.5 %
   Unknown      7.2 %
   Safari      6.8 %   
   Edge         2.4 %   
   Opera      2.2 %

Assuming that Fieldlines' traffic has a similar breakdown, is it OK to lose 1/5 of our visitors? 
What about members who aren't computer savvy and won't it figure out?
How are they even supposed to find out?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 07:58:34 PM by JW »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 12:00:11 AM »
When I pay my business taxes the site says do not use IE. I've tried a couple of times and it does not work, I use Firefox.

There are several issues, posts that have broken images and what not can be caused by IE.

for those using IE it will still work (as best as it can) so its just a recommendation...

But its best that we say, IE may be the problem, if your having problems.

We have not blocked anything, so those using IE may have a glitch but the site will still work for them.   

using Google Chrome users will get the best results.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 07:58:54 PM by JW »

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Re: IE may cause display issues
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 04:38:50 PM »
IE is the second tier browser in Windows 10. MS wants to move to "Edge" and eliminate IE altogether as a way of coercing Windows users into adopting 10. Support for 7 stops in about 2 years.

The joke about IE was that it is the browser you use to download a better browser. As much as people dislike Edge, I suspect that will continue to happen.

I still use Firefox even though it has a very small market share, because there are many addon script blockers that I can use to protect me from internet hacks and malware.

I never use Chrome, in part because it won't allow you to save youtube videos. Since I use a Mac, I have Safari as a backup, as well as Opera and Brave. Chrome gets installed by default with many other program packages, but I always uncheck it.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 04:57:36 PM »
Unfortunately , because there are still lazy programmers hanging around, at work we still have i.e. installed.

Personally, I use FireFox the most because of the multi-user container and ad-blocks that allow me to do stuff.

Chrome is starting to act like a bully, therefore I limit my use of it, but work endorses it so....:-).

A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 05:14:17 PM »
Yes edge works better than IE. I have done everything I can to avoid using chrome, but its catching up to me.

Here is TechAdmin concerns

"Update that $#|+, but last version should be working. Definitely not supporting super old ones that nobody uses anymore anyway
Mind me it's still crap so even if you do update it you might experience issues on just about any website (nerd)"

JW-

My wife is at the hospital today its not good, I may not be around for a while. TechAdmin is still around and you guys can PM him :)

« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 06:26:31 PM by JW »

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 07:58:55 PM »
Windows 8.1 with IE11 and I have no issues with images or the login. I visited this thread as a test and it renders quickly and cleanly.
https://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,144309.msg1045472/topicseen.html#msg1045472 Lots of pretty pictures.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 08:19:32 PM »
I visited this thread as a test and it renders quickly and cleanly.

This is what the TechAdmin told me, its something to do with my browser... At least for me, I have to use Chrome from now on...

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 09:54:00 AM »

My wife is at the hospital today...

No/low words to share, y'all hang in there, we're pulling for ya.

(composed on Firefox Quantum 60.0.2 (64-bit))

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 05:51:20 PM »
Thanks DanG :)

They really cant tell us whats going on but she has been improving. A one point I thought she was passing a kidney stone. She was in a lot of pain yesterday and she is improving now. She is out of the hospital today. :)

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 10:49:14 PM »
Hoping she feels much better - and stay better!
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2018, 11:02:03 PM »
Oh, and...
I've recently changed to Chrome after using Firefox faithfully for years.  Not too disappointed with FF per-se, but something going on with HTTPS and certain site certificates being not *quite* perfect a lot of sites have become unreadable with FF yet open just fine with Chrome.  At work it's a different story.  Chrome is installed on all computers.  IE is mandatory for certain corporate functions.  FF is a special request software install, for which we must put in an official request.  Well, I'm still on item 15 of 100 on my list of things for the IT department to fix/set-up/install on my computer so I had to be realistic about what my pet browser is going to be for a while.
www.sparweb.ca

TechAdmin

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2018, 11:28:59 PM »
"Update that $#|+, but last version should be working. Definitely not supporting super old ones that nobody uses anymore anyway
Mind me it's still crap so even if you do update it you might experience issues on just about any website"
Pretty much, although I would have worded in a bit better way for the public ;D The site definitely supports the last version (or is it the browser supporting the website in this case ??? ), but ancient buggy versions... No chance. If you're using stuff like IE8/9 you will most definitely have issues.
My wife is at the hospital today its not good, I may not be around for a while. TechAdmin is still around and you guys can PM him :)
Just to confirm, if you have urgent stuff and JW isn't around, PM me and I'll see what I can do.

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2018, 09:37:02 AM »
I hope your wife stays well JW.
If you are behind a corporate firewall, there are lots of things that can break a web site. Ask you IT guys what they did to stop Poodle. Changing certificates practices will break stuff if you use a browser like Firefox that wants everything encrypted.

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/932042-disabling-ssl-3-0-and-tls-1-0-breaks-website

TechAdmin

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2018, 04:49:00 PM »
If you are behind a corporate firewall, there are lots of things that can break a web site. Ask you IT guys what they did to stop Poodle. Changing certificates practices will break stuff if you use a browser like Firefox that wants everything encrypted.

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/932042-disabling-ssl-3-0-and-tls-1-0-breaks-website
I'm the aforementioned IT guy.
We've had SSL installed for quite a while and there are no known security vulnerabilities in the software we're using. Security is also increased by a number of other things against hackers and malicious bots.
Thanks for your concern :)

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2018, 07:36:19 PM »
If using FF and having problems delete certs*.db (* being a number usually).

I refuse to use Chrome aka google because they vacuum up everything you do!

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2018, 09:24:18 PM »
Mary B That's what I was thinking. Chrome tries to use the underlying OS cert store, Firefox has it's own but as of FF49 you can use Group Policies in Windows to get FF to use the Windows cert store. If you have a lot of private certs on a company intranet that is probably simpler in the long run.

https://support.umbrella.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000669728-Configuring-Firefox-to-use-the-Windows-Certificate-Store