Author Topic: Heat storage using peltier modules?  (Read 2706 times)

MIgardener

Heat storage using peltier modules?
« on: March 12, 2018, 02:37:08 PM »
    I've been thinking about alternatives to batteries, and it seems like water or oil would be an amazing way to store energy in the form of heat, if only there were a good way to convert the heat back into electricity.

There are these peltier thermometric generators. https://goo.gl/uK29ds Perhaps you could cover a container with a few hundred of these and get a useful amount of power? It would probably be extremely inefficient, but you could still store a lot of energy in a small volume of water.
,Jake

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
Re: Heat storage using peltier modules?
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 08:26:36 PM »
Look at the conversion efficiency, especially when making power. Under 10%...

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 03:20:37 PM »
well when 100% of the energy going up the stack 10% is a whole crap load of recovery! I was thinking of doing this with my diesel heater, it is a pot burner so runs all the time, the gains from energy recovery will all so bleed into heat recovery as well.

So yes it is doable but do not expect massive returns, just a small gain in over all efficiency.

I was going to run them through my spare MPPT controller just to see what happens!
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

MattM

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 11:34:26 AM »
Just be aware.  Chimney stacks require heat.  You don't steal heat without a backflow prevention device to keep carbon monoxide from reverse flows.

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 10:44:12 PM »
well when 100% of the energy going up the stack 10% is a whole crap load of recovery!

But on a high-efficiency heating appliance only a small amount of the heat goes up the stack.

Sure it's nice to be able to salvage some of that as electrical power.  But as MattM points out,
you don't want to pull too much of it and make your chimney stop working correctly.

Monoxide poisoning isn't the only issue. Too cold a stack can collect creosote, followed by
a chimney fire when the accumulation finally ignites, which may destroy, not just your stack
or your stove/fireplace, but your house.

If you do want to salvage energy from the exhaust heat, peltier cells are a rotten way
to do it (unless you only want a token amount).  I wouldn't try to homebrew a peltier-based
power scavenger.  I'd only use them in a professionally-designed, UL-approved, integrated-
with-the-stove (i.e. something designed to power the stove's own needs) device or a
designed-for-stock-stacks add-on module.

(It would be interesting if somebody comes up with a heat-engine or thermoacoustic
energy scavenger.)

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 08:58:46 AM »
There is a "cookstove" now on the market that I think is more for "glamping: that hard core camping.
https://www.bioliteenergy.com/products/campstove-2.
Without actually having one (YET), it looks like they use a peltier device to do the charging for the integrated battery.
Once our arrives, I'll dig into it's guts to see what's what.

Hope this helps

Bruce S

A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2018, 01:11:51 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=29&v=kDLajlJCqHU

exact same thing I was thinking of building, goat dammit, I need to get this $#|+ built and patented faster!

increase efficiency and make power in one go of it
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2018, 07:50:09 PM »
kool vid.....
WILD in ALASKA