Homebrewed Electricity > Hydro

Water to pump water for irrigation

(1/4) > >>

DenverDave:
Almost all posts in the hydro section of the forum are about using flowing water to generate electricity, which is great, but my need is different.   We have a flowing stream in the middle of a valley that is lower than the surrounding meadow to be irrigated.  There are two existing diversion dams that direct water into irrigation ditches for flood irrigation (another discussion needed).   However the most upstream portion and surrounding meadow is hard to irrigate.  The original irrigation ditch is 3/4 of a mile into the upstream neighbor's property, if fairly hard to access and the stream bed has lowered, making in increasingly harder to put in a seasonal dam to direct water into the upstream ditch.

My idea is that maybe somehow we could use the flow of the stream to power a device that would pump a lesser amount of water up to the level of the surrounding meadow - maybe 10 feet higher at most at the higher edges.    An added complication is that no electricity is available in this location and while we have used gasoline powered pumps, it is somewhat remote making it hard to refill the engines and costly to keep them running for periods of time.

Fair game is a water wheel that turns a generator that produces electricity that runs an electric pump and indeed, perhaps this should be the bench mark to evaluate other approaches.   While somewhat rare for irrigation use, in modern times, there are devices like ram pumps, spiral water wheel pumps, direct lift water wheels and water wheels that can power mechanical water pumps that use a lot of water to pump a smaller amount of water.   Each of the approaches have their advantages and issues, few are commercially available and I currently have no idea of the specific trade-offs and which are working out better.

I'm searching for others interested in using water to pump water, including "water wheel pumps'.    If you know anyone like this, perhaps you can help make them aware of this post and help us connect.   

Thanks.
Dave

Sir Veyor:
This is just a cut and paste from google docs, but it lists some details and gives contact information to M.R. Jacobs, a Canadian. I haven't contacted him, but hopefully the email is still active.

He describes some problems and improvements. Especially in a more resource rich environment, you could get a big boost. Hopefully I've disable all links enough...

Videos of the pump in operation are viewable at
MALAWICAN
Innovation for Progress and Sustainable Development
malawican [ at ] gmail.com
SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT & ACCESS TO WATER in MALAWI
by
Peter Jacobs
UNITERRA-WUSC Volunteer With CADECOM - Blantyre

Other information can be obtained through:
Peter Jacobs
4316 Varsity Drive NW
Calgary, AB T3A 1A2 , CANADA
Cell.: +403-481-4370
Malawican [ at ] gmail.com

[DamonHD: edited: possibly best not to make things too easy for SPAM bots]

skid:
The easiest method would be to build an undershot water wheel with a roll of poly piping and scoop on it. This was my original plan before I built my wheel. The video below is a commercial version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA_zNhyN6Fw

Just do some internet searching as there is quite a bit of info out there. The most important part is the rotary coupling for the hose/wheel.

DenverDave:
Thanks Sir Veyor - your post turned out to be a very good lead and google docs does seem to be working for Peter Jacobs to document his project.   He mentioned he would be interested as serving as a clearing house for people interested - I sent him a facebook group invite and I'll follow-up with him during business hours.

He has a nice document with good information - thanks.

How did you manage to find the Malawican project?

DenverDave:
Hi Skid - my  inclination has also been to go with an undershot water wheel, although many people are pushing the overshot and breast shot for performance.   All types may not be options at some locations.  An overshot might tend to shed off debris rather than getting it stuck under the blades if fixed in location.  The Barsha pump that you linked (they have fixed and floating) might ride up over debris, not sure.

On the rotary coupling, amazing how little is said, however, a getting some information.  One person used some waterproof bearing (I guess there are such a thing) and fixed them in a plastic pipe by heating it.    A couple have used quick  connect garden hose couplings - not sure of the friction and would be limited diameter flow through, but let's hope we have enough volume of pumped water to be an issue.  :)

Thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version