Homebrewed Electricity > Hydro

Water to pump water for irrigation

<< < (3/4) > >>

DenverDave:
Thanks for the information Adriaan.   I'd not heard the term "positive displacement pump" - as I'm sure you know, determining the right search terms is crucial for finding information on the internet.  While I'm currently favoring water powered pumps, solar and wind energy are also possibilities.   I used to think of our off grid location as low wind, but last year was different - very very dry and fair amount of wind - not good for the forest fires.   Wow - you have quite a bit of information on windmills on your website - thanks.

Oddly, I have a WindTrans Zelda pump which is supposed to pump water at 10 RPM's.  I've yet to build a water wheel to try it out.  I see that many of the other styles of pumps I've looked at are "positive displacement pumps".    I'm hoping to compare the amount of water that can be pumped for irrigation between pumps like the Zelda, spiral pumps and maybe direct lift pumps if I can figure out how to get the water to go where I want.

Thanks.

Adriaan Kragten:
I have Googled on Wind Trans Zelda pump and I found the Canadian company which manufactures this pump. They supply several video's about this pump and the output at low rpm is impressive. However, on non of the videos they show how the pump works. From the outside geometry, I conclude that it must be a vane pump but it isn't clear if it is a vane pump with a flexible impeller like also used for cooling water in boat engines or if it has vanes which move inwards and outwards a rotor which is turning in an eccentric chamber. Have you opened the pump and can you tell me how it works?

tanner0441:
Hi

Look on google at ram pumps as long as you have a reasonable fall a ram pump will pump water 24 hours a day no moving parts other than a flap or pop valve.

a lot of developing countries are littered with them.

Brian

Adriaan Kragten:
A ram pump supplies a small amount of water at a high pressure so it is a good option if you have a small river flowing from a steep hill and if you need only drinking water. But for irrigation you need a large flow at a low pressure and therefore a ramp pump can't be used.

hiker:
Drip line.....  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xZOTdCPyOIM

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version