Homebrewed Electricity > Wind

Block diagram for our turbine

<< < (2/2)

kitestrings:
I can surely relate to being the "only repair man".  Lately we've been having some discussions about how we might plan for the times ahead where I can't do, or remember  ???, how to do this stuff.  An electrician would; step one: tear it out all out, right.

Regarding your usage, 8,000 kWh is pretty much in line with our average residential member/consumer.  There are no free lunches.  While we survive comfortably on probably half that amount, we also consume some 700+ gallons of LPG annually.  I bet on a levelized MMBtu perspective we're on par (I assume here that you are not heating electrically).

I follow the complexity of adding *net metering for you.  I probably wouldn't do it as a retrofit either.  More likely I would continue, as I think you have, with some more modest isolated tasks for the turbine.  What the Classic might better allow, is the option of fetching some sort of "opportunity" load diversion.  In our case we preheat DHW using a feature called "Waste-Not".  I think you may be familiar, but this allows you to prioritize battery charging, but then divert excess power relative to a charging threshold (bulk, float or equalize).

This said, I find the objectives are interestingly different with net metering, then with off-grid; and particularly with wind.  With traditional net metering (PV) we want to maximize our output, sending as much unused credit to the utility for banking (the 'battery' of net metering if you will).  The banked excess being monetized and used to reduce costs in less sunny times.  For off-grid, and with wind maintenance in mind, we want to fill the batteries and serve our coincident needs, but then shut down to save wear and tear.

*Here in VT net metering has gotten quite (unnecessarily IMO) complicated.  It started with a simple approach, allowing the billing meter to run backwards.  Now, there are two meters for most systems, and there are REC and siting adjusters to the production.  There are also set up fees and "non-bypassible" charges (monthly and efficiency utility) that must be paid in all cases.

Mary B:
Solar/wind install and repair is being offered at more and more schools... so people to repair it are out there

kitestrings:
Yes, although I suspect it is focused on more mainstream, net metering, and PV w/battery back-up systems.  It's doubtful that someone would step in and work these one-off off-grid systems.... although Neilho and I have worked on a few come to think of it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version