Steam Engines > Steam engines

3D printer

(1/3) > >>

JW:
I am wondering if one of the users Has a large 3D printer size.

I am able to use step files. I will make 3D model so you can get a better idea

SparWeb:
Whatcha making?  Are you talking plastic or metal?  Size, purpose, etc.?

JW:
Hi Sparweb,

Im using solidworks to generate a CAD file that can be 3D printed (plastic). My goal is to bend a metal pipe using a cad file. I want to do test runs with the plastic mock up, to check the fit.

In this way I can perfect a file that I can send out to the metal bender.

SparWeb:
Got a screen capture, to illustrate what you mean to make?
If you have solidworks, and you are very disciplined in your creation of control geometry, then your bend instructions to the shop are captured in the CAD file; no need for a plastic print.
That doesn't mean some folks won't find a 3d-print helpful to visualize what you need, if the pipe geometry is complicated.

JW:

--- Quote from: Sparweb ---then your bend instructions to the shop are captured in the CAD file
--- End quote ---

Yes that's correct.  The problem is that I am trying to mate to begin and end point. So I need a physical mock up to check the actual fit of those points. I am bending 1 in pipe so Im not going to get any wiggle room, and need to perfect the cad file, then I can send the file to the bender.

I will see about showing a picture, I was working on the cad file for this weekend but its 2016 solidworks Im used to solidworks 2000. There are some neat things you can do with solidworks I may be able display an actual 3D model. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version