Homebrewed Electricity > Other

Lincoln buzz box as transformer

(1/2) > >>

DualFuel:
I have this crazy idea to use my Lincoln ac arc welder as a transformer for making a battery charger. At 220vac it outputs 28vac, so the idea would be to push 110vac in, to get 14vac out. Then I was thinking of using the big rectifier I have to make DC. I am looking for a robust charger idea...
DF

Mary B:
Remember when you rectify your output voltage will be 1.4 times higher from a bridge rectifier... since you did't mention rectifier style just tossing that out there...

Frank S:
I think that by the time you come up with a suitable rectifier and charge controller you would have spent as much money as you would have top buy a Schumacher 30/60-300 plus it would also give you 6V charging option. But that is just my opinion.
 Almost and transformer or electrical device with an out put can be turned into a battery charger if one have the patience I heard of a guy once using a toaster to charge a battery 

JW:
This diode I use in some applications I forgot the amp rating on this thing.

tanner0441:
Hi

You will need 4 of those diodes for a bridge and 2 of them should be reversed polarity if you don't want to put them on separate heat sinks.  Unless your welder has a center tap for bi-phase rectification.

I would think a dedicated charger with everything done for you in a single box with a meter on the front.  Having said that I did put enough into a truck battery to start it with a TIG welder but that was already DC.... 28V off load

Brian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version